Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 01:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

67 or 645 lenses on 5d3 with Mirex adaptor

greatgable
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 17, 2014 01:02 |  #1

Hi,

I would really appreciate any members advise about using 67 or 645 lenses on an eos 5d body.

I am keen to maximise my dof in landscape photography, but have a limited budget for lenses.

The Mirex tilt shift adaptor and a number of MF or LF lenses will give me a set of lenses with equivalent to 28mm, 35, 45 and 50 for less than the cost of new canon 24mm tse, which is very appealing.

If any other users have experience of these lenses, either with tilt shift or as normal lenses, I would really like to hear your opinion.

In particular, I would like to know:

Are 67 Pentax lenses better or more suited to adaption than the Pentax 645 ones

And, are the Pentsx ones better than Mamiya?

These are the lenses I was considering for landscape:

645:
45 =. 28 mm
55. =. 35 mm
75. =. 45 mm
80. = 50. mm

And similar focal equivalents on 67.

Many thanks for any tips!

sponsored links
JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 17, 2014 13:29 |  #2

I can't comment on the relative qualities of the two types, but if I've read your post correctly I think your conversion is the wrong way.

645 lenses of 45mm, 55mm, 75mm and 80mm will give equivalent field of view results on 35mm/FF of approximately 75mm, 92mm, 125mm and 133mm respectively.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2014 13:35 |  #3

JohnB57 wrote in post #17101645 (external link)
I can't comment on the relative qualities of the two types, but if I've read your post correctly I think your conversion is the wrong way.

645 lenses of 45mm, 55mm, 75mm and 80mm will give equivalent field of view results on 35mm/FF of approximately 75mm, 92mm, 125mm and 133mm respectively.

That was my immediate thought too. In this scenario the "FF" body is actually the crop camera, and is the one that will have the multiplication added. The lenses will be "longer" on the 5D3 not "shorter" as you are using a smaller sensor.

greatgable
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 18, 2014 03:30 |  #4

Ken rockwell gives these equivalents for MF on full frame:

http://www.kenrockwell​.com …x/645/35mm-equivalent.htm (external link)

Whatever, I'd just like to know how anyone with more experience (and better math too?) than me with my limited knowledge has found using these beautifully made old lenses please?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 18, 2014 03:55 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #5

Focal length is focal length, the sensor size doesn't matter. A 210mm large format lens mounted on a 35mm camera will render a FOV of a 210mm lens made for a 35mm camera. I know, I have large format 105mm and 210mm lenses that I use on my 5DII. ;)
The FOV of a given focal length changes with the sensor size, in the sense that a smaller sensor gives a narrower FOV for the same focal length.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 18, 2014 03:57 |  #6

greatgable wrote in post #17102784 (external link)
Ken rockwell gives these equivalents for MF on full frame:

http://www.kenrockwell​.com …x/645/35mm-equivalent.htm (external link)

Whatever, I'd just like to know how anyone with more experience (and better math too?) than me with my limited knowledge has found using these beautifully made old lenses please?

Ken is talking about the angle of view of the lens when mounted on the 645, relative to what focal length would render a similar FOV on a 35mm camera. The larger the sensor, the wider the FOV for a given focal length.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

greatgable
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 18, 2014 04:40 |  #7

I think it's field of view I meant not focal length......shows how much I know?

Anyway enough of me being an idiot ;) could any of you let me know how you like the medium format lenses on a 35mm body particularly interested in the Mamiya or Pentax wide-angle ones.
I really appreciate your help!
Heard the Mamiya lenses are lighter, is this true?
It would help with lumping them all up a mountain!

greatgable
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 18, 2014 05:28 |  #8

Just to be absolutely sure. If I bought the 45mm MF Lens it would in fact be more like a short zoom, not a wide angle like 28mm?

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2014 07:35 |  #9

greatgable wrote in post #17102891 (external link)
Just to be absolutely sure. If I bought the 45mm MF Lens it would in fact be more like a short zoom, not a wide angle like 28mm?

It would be like a short telephoto, yes. Definitely not a wide angle.

It won't be like a zoom because that specifically refers to a lens that has variable focal length and the 45mm is a fixed length (prime) lens, so cannot zoom. Also, a "short zoom" would typically be a wide angle lens.

I realise that it may be seen as nitpicking over terminology, but it is important that you are seen as saying what you mean, otherwise answers may not make sense to you, or you may misinterpret the answers. If you were to ask for recommendations for a "short zoom", when you actually mean a telephoto prime, you could end up taking the wrong advice.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,166 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 18, 2014 10:10 |  #10

milimeter/focal length is not changing just because it was an MF lens.

There would be no "crop factor" as Crop factor is only a parlance used relative to FF or 35mm film. To achieve a crop factor, one would need a sensor smaller than the 5D3.

ie: a 100mm Medium Format lens used successfully on a 5D3 would offer the same field of view as an EF 100mm lens would. Exactly.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,166 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 18, 2014 10:14 |  #11

sandpiper wrote in post #17103004 (external link)
It would be like a short telephoto, yes. Definitely not a wide angle.

It would be like a 45mm lens, "Normal" is the usual term. Definitely NOT telephoto
On Medium format 45mm is wide angle. (ie field of view of a 28mm on 35mm film)
On 5D, it is "Normal" at 45mm.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,635 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 18, 2014 14:28 |  #12

You should also consider that to produce a given size print, a 35mm (FF) capture must be enlarged more than a MF capture. Due to this, a lens that was ranked as good on MF, may turn out to be only mediocre when used on your 5D.

felixshmak
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 25, 2014 12:33 |  #13

As you only use the centre part of the lense from medium format, the edge to edge sharpness and distortion will be minimal compare to a native 35mm format lense.

Regarding Pentax Vs Mamiya, it will depends on your preference. Colour rendering is different, but I can't say which is better. Just like compare Zeiss Vs Leica lenses, both are great. Beside, photography is an art - no definitely right or wrong.

sponsored links

2,205 views & 0 likes for this thread
67 or 645 lenses on 5d3 with Mirex adaptor
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.