Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 24 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 10:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7DII specs "90% confidence"

Geordie ­ Amanda
365 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 25, 2014 16:42 |  #61

My first digital camera was a Canon 350, with which I acquired a couple of cheap lenses. I followed that up with a 40D and a couple of better quality lenses and finally, a few years ago, I bought my current 7D and added some fab lenses. So for me, every new crop sensor camera has been a big step up and opened up more possibilities as to what I can shoot, but now, if the CR post is even roughly correct, I find myself near the pinnacle of Canon crop sensor cameras already :( I had so looked forward to buying the next camera up from the 7D and finding not only better IQ but more things that will enable me to take a more varied set of shots. Some of the rumoured features will help me in my quest, but ultimately if the sensor isn't a decent improvement over the one I already possess, I worry that I am now stuck with the same level of technology for the next few years, that I have had for the past 3.

Of the course it's the photographer that takes the shot, but every time I moved up a peg with my camera, I found I could take better pictures (I seem to mainly do sporting types of snaps). I hope this isn't the end of my journey (in a sense) and that Canon wows us with a decent step up in it's new 7DII :)

Call me Amanda please :)

sponsored links
Ltdave
Goldmember
3,322 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 25, 2014 17:31 as a reply to  @ Geordie Amanda's post |  #62

the reach factor and usable iso will be the deciding factors.

If it wants to compete against other cameras of the same calibre, it needs to deliver the image quality. That means the sensor.... If it is to live up to the competition, it needs to do so on image quality, not on other features.

the one thing i miss and the one i dont...

i appreciated the reach of the crop factor but not the IQ. i think the AA filter played a big part in the quality along with the poor low-light/high ISO performance...

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,711 posts
Gallery: 215 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 25, 2014 17:57 |  #63

Yea Canon Rummors is just a load of old tosh, and made up rummors, but far far worse is petapixel, who repeat ANY rummor site and pretend it's news.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 25, 2014 18:06 |  #64

I don't care about these rumors, I just want a big MP crop camera with f/8 focusing so I can rent 500 f/4's and use my x2 tc!

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 25, 2014 18:29 |  #65

Radders wrote in post #17117423 (external link)
I don't care about these rumors, I just want a big MP crop camera with f/8 focusing so I can rent 500 f/4's and use my x2 tc!

Good idea! :)

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 25, 2014 19:24 |  #66

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #17117270 (external link)
My first digital camera was a Canon 350, with which I acquired a couple of cheap lenses. I followed that up with a 40D and a couple of better quality lenses and finally, a few years ago, I bought my current 7D and added some fab lenses. So for me, every new crop sensor camera has been a big step up and opened up more possibilities as to what I can shoot, but now, if the CR post is even roughly correct, I find myself near the pinnacle of Canon crop sensor cameras already :( I had so looked forward to buying the next camera up from the 7D and finding not only better IQ but more things that will enable me to take a more varied set of shots. Some of the rumoured features will help me in my quest, but ultimately if the sensor isn't a decent improvement over the one I already possess, I worry that I am now stuck with the same level of technology for the next few years, that I have had for the past 3.

Of the course it's the photographer that takes the shot, but every time I moved up a peg with my camera, I found I could take better pictures (I seem to mainly do sporting types of snaps). I hope this isn't the end of my journey (in a sense) and that Canon wows us with a decent step up in it's new 7DII :)

If you like sporting kind of shots, you would LOVE the 5D III. Many, MANY professional sports shooters use that camera body if they have a backup to their 1D X (that is the top level sports camera at the moment.)

The depth of field afforded to you with the 5D III will make your sporting shots outstanding from what you're used to with the crop sensor.

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,307 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 25, 2014 19:27 |  #67

No WIFI...poor decision...

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 25, 2014 19:31 |  #68

silvex wrote in post #17117558 (external link)

Yeah, all those birders who shoot live to a PC in a studio will be terribly disappointed!

(I'm kidding, relax)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 25, 2014 20:22 |  #69

huntersdad wrote in post #17117130 (external link)
Having shot the D700 last waterfowl season, I would disagree that Nikon crop is better. In fact, not close at all.

The D700 is a full-frame camera, even older than the 7D.

If you mean the D7000, that's a superseded model. The models using the Sony Exmor 24MP sensor so far exceed anything Canon has produced that they're not even comparable.

I'm talking sensor performance only, not the rest of the camera, in which Canon and Nikon are basically comparable (you can't fairly compare a 7D vs a D7100 in term of the rest of the camera, since one is Canon's top-of-the-line crop body and the other is Nikon's mid-range crop body, below the D300s).

Overread
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 26, 2014 03:36 |  #70

vengence wrote in post #17117572 (external link)
Yeah, all those birders who shoot live to a PC in a studio will be terribly disappointed!

(I'm kidding, relax)

It's more the sports togs at events who use wi-fi; a large potential market for the 7DMII and one that does benefit from being able to wifi send the shots right to an assistant with a laptop and then onto the editor for fast publishing.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 26, 2014 05:53 |  #71

silvex wrote in post #17117558 (external link)

It's only a rumor. :p

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,653 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 26, 2014 06:19 |  #72

Shadowblade wrote in post #17117655 (external link)
The D700 is a full-frame camera, even older than the 7D.

If you mean the D7000, that's a superseded model. The models using the Sony Exmor 24MP sensor so far exceed anything Canon has produced that they're not even comparable.

I'm talking sensor performance only, not the rest of the camera, in which Canon and Nikon are basically comparable (you can't fairly compare a 7D vs a D7100 in term of the rest of the camera, since one is Canon's top-of-the-line crop body and the other is Nikon's mid-range crop body, below the D300s).

Sorry. Yes, I meant the d7100. Some days my finger work and some they don't.

However, I wasn't comparing the 7d. My original post was talking about the 70d sensor that everyone is saying would be a letdown if Canon uses it in the new 7d. There 70d sensor, in comparison to the d7100 sensor, is not a Nikon beatdown. Having used both, I believe in real word shooting (not some chart that someone put together), they are relatively equal and personal preference goes to the 70d for better colors and noise control. The 70d also, IMO, has better AF and is far ahead in any video capabilities and live view.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 26, 2014 08:09 |  #73

huntersdad wrote in post #17118256 (external link)
Sorry. Yes, I meant the d7100. Some days my finger work and some they don't.

However, I wasn't comparing the 7d. My original post was talking about the 70d sensor that everyone is saying would be a letdown if Canon uses it in the new 7d. There 70d sensor, in comparison to the d7100 sensor, is not a Nikon beatdown. Having used both, I believe in real word shooting (not some chart that someone put together), they are relatively equal and personal preference goes to the 70d for better colors and noise control. The 70d also, IMO, has better AF and is far ahead in any video capabilities and live view.

Depends what ISO you shoot at.

Above ISO 800, they're more-or-less comparable - the Canon sensor has less noise, but the Nikon shows more detail and less noise-reduction smearing. It also has the advantage of a larger sensor. Below ISO 800, there's no comparison - the Nikon reveals shadow details where the Canon sensor shows nothing but noise. If you shoot sports or live music and live at high ISOs, you may never notice. But if you shoot landscapes, it's obvious. I've used the NEX-7, with Sony's 24MP Exmor sensor, for panoramas with great results. I'd never use the 70D sensor for that.

I generally prefer the cooler Nikon colours - Canon shots always seemed far too warm to me. But colour is easily adjustable in post-processing anyway.

Don't know about the AF - I'm just comparing sensors here. The same/similar sensors tend to be put into multiple bodies with varying AF capabilities anyway.

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 26, 2014 08:20 |  #74

Bud Spencer wrote in post #17116724 (external link)
If not accurate, the guy from CR will update his list a minute before the official announcement.
You have to admire a bloke who can make 8.000+ $ each month out of nothing, mainly gossip and rumors.

How do you know he makes that much? Genuine question.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 26, 2014 08:23 as a reply to  @ Radders's post |  #75

8 dollars really isnt that much

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

sponsored links

31,951 views & 0 likes for this thread
7DII specs "90% confidence"
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.