Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 15 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 10:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures

piQturesQue
227 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2014

Jul 17, 2014 04:18 |  #2446

Have been looking at some big stoppers for a longer time, but this looks like a lot more fun :D Have to try building my own, as soon as I am back from travelling!

Any problems with sharpness/contrast of the images? Some shots here looked a bit blurry, but since the majority looks really neat I was hoping it is just some dirt on the filters...

Constructive criticism and editing always welcome.

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 17, 2014 08:04 |  #2447

The fact that this glass was not designed for photography and has a special coating on it so as welders do not get blinded has something to do with the lack of sharpness. That being said you might get lucky and buy a pretty good piece of glass. My yellow one was pretty smooth.

Another thing I learned, if you want correct WB, take a photo with the glass on and then set the WB to that photo. Your next shot will be near perfect color wise.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

piQturesQue
227 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2014

Jul 17, 2014 11:22 |  #2448

Thanks ;)

I guess the low price justifies buying a couple of different glasses and hoping for a good quality one...

Constructive criticism and editing always welcome.

smeghead62
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 18, 2014 16:22 |  #2449

Couldn't get the white balance how I liked, so went Black & White instead...

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5573/14776204108_b24626a7ef_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ovHU​FN  (external link)

Doug
6D, more glass than sense

Ranger ­ Kevin
110 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 24, 2014 13:34 |  #2450

beautiful, Doug! :-)

Cheers, Kevin ;)
Studio Nightowl Photography on Facebook (external link)
7D II, 6D, 350D (IR-modded 700nm), Zeiss and Canon glas

marcwilliams88
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 26, 2014 10:55 |  #2451

Managed to snap the TV tower on a recent trip to Berlin with the welding glass hack

7D & 24-70/4L used

Broadcast

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/14857228920_567a697bda_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …arcwilliams88/1​4857228920  (external link)

Hot Picsel Photography | Portfolio here... (external link)
flickr (external link) | Canon EOS 7D | EF 24-70 f/4L | EF-S 24 f/2.8 STM | EF 70-200 f/4L | Full kit list

...the camera takes an image, imagination makes the photograph

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,322 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 08:16 as a reply to  @ marcwilliams88's post |  #2452

Well, ya'll have convinced me to give this a shot. I'm curious about the material of the lens. As this thread goes back a few years and it seems that it started (and stayed?) with safety-glass lenses, do you think a polycarbonate lens would work or would it end up scratching too easily? Lincoln makes a poly one and is really cheap and Lowes and HD both carry them here in the states.

There's not any mountains, waterfalls, or beaches around here so I guess when I get set up I can take some shots of downtown and make it a ghost town with no traffic....oops, I forgot, that's how it looks already. :lol:

Ed

ETA: I'll pass on the poly lens. You know, I don't want a plastic lens...so why am I thinking about using a thick piece of plastic in something that is already know not to be photo-optical quality even in it's glass version?<duhhh> I'll go with glass...

www.beeweather.com (external link)

PLB
149 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 20, 2014 10:51 as a reply to  @ Intheswamp's post |  #2453

Hello everybody,

After a very long absence from the forum, I have found my way back and stumbled onto this thread. WOW, I salute who ever came up with the original idea for using the welding glass for a filter, I was so inspired that I too ordered one and tinkered around with it, waited for the weather to be just so and then walked to my local church for some test shots, below is my first edited black and white. I can't wait to get out and about a bit more and try other ideas that are floating about between my ears.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i45.photobucket​.com …ditedcopy_zps36​33560d.jpg (external link)

View my camera collection here (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,322 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 02, 2014 19:49 as a reply to  @ PLB's post |  #2454

Well, I made a feeble attempt late this evening on making a couple of shots with my welding filter. I found out I definitely have some hot pixels after a 3-4 minute exposure!!! I used a custom white balance that I tried to make using a coffee filter taped over the welding filter and exposed at f5.6 for 2min 59sec at ISO 100. Same price category as my ND filter.<grin>

4min 9sec, f8, ISO100, 17mm

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2947/15237357648_c363b7bc69_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pdtr​yU  (external link) IMG_5288app (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

4min 29sec, f8, ISO100, 17mm
IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5598/15423602992_e205769e3e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/puVZ​Pw  (external link) IMG_5290pp (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

...and finally a black and white version. I don't know if I'll ever get post processing down or not. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to bail water out of a leaking boat with a flour sifter when I editing(?) images.<sigh> But...I enjoy doing it.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3927/15401032866_dd30acf754_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/psWj​vq  (external link) IMG_5290aabw (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

www.beeweather.com (external link)

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
14,088 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 17, 2015 10:13 |  #2455

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Some simple photos

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 17, 2015 10:25 |  #2456

A little dark. I'd try leaving that shutter open a little bit longer and see what happens.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,419 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 17, 2015 14:04 |  #2457

Good to see an example of it being used for the DOF, rather than motion blur.
Good to see the thread resurrected too.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
14,088 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 17, 2015 14:29 |  #2458

played a bit in LR

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Some simple photos

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 18, 2015 06:16 |  #2459

That looks better.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 18, 2015 06:21 |  #2460

I just re-read this thread (started yesterday evening) and it's nice to see a new idea start from test shots to some really artistic photographs. This is one of the reasons I love this website. Watching a new idea like this flourish and become a candidate for creativity is very cool! Thank you Anke for starting this thread and introducing us to an inexpensive way to be creative.

sponsored links

729,473 views & 39 likes for this thread
Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.