Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 20:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

San Francisco trip - which lens?

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 21, 2014 16:12 |  #16

really depends on what you like to shoot and your style of shooting.

street photography - one of your standard zooms is fine
architecture or landscapes with the GG bridge, shooting back at sf from just below the bay bridge, etc. - you'd probably want a uwa
city shots from a distance (marin side of the gg bridge or from east bay) - a telephoto lens works well here

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

sponsored links
oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 22, 2014 10:43 |  #17

Take the 17-55/2.8 on your T4i. With your cropped body, this lens would be better than the 24-105/4. Will give you a wider field of view. You'll need it in many tight spots in SF.

Also, your Sigma zoom would be very useful. I went to SF several times with a XTi, 17-55 and 70-300 DO zooms. Very useful range to have available. You will need a good telephoto to shot Alcatraz or the Golden Gate Bridge from Fisherman's Wharf. Also, the telephoto zoom is good for shooting the City from the northern (Marin County) lookout of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 22, 2014 12:13 |  #18

I forgot I have a 70-300 "kit" lens (not listed in my sig) that maybe I could use for far away shots like Alcatraz or shooting the city from the northern (Marin County) lookout of the Golden Gate Bridge (as Oaktree suggested).

That coupled with my 17-55 should cover most situations.

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice.

Please feel free to continue to resond and advise - we don't leave until September 11.

BTW - Oaktree (or anyone else) - how do you like your 70-300 DO lens? Pros/cons?

RKS
Nashville, Tn.
Canon 70D - Canon T4I and Canon 40D / Canon 100-400 v2 / Canon 24-105 L / Canon 17-55 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8/ Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma 10-20 [COLOR=red]/ Sigma EF530DG Super Flash

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,087 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Aug 22, 2014 15:51 |  #19

RKSphoto wrote in post #17111582 (external link)
I forgot I have a 70-300 "kit" lens (not listed in my sig) that maybe I could use for far away shots like Alcatraz or shooting the city from the northern (Marin County) lookout of the Golden Gate Bridge (as Oaktree suggested).

Yes, it sure would (except for ultrawide, I guess).

But I never heard of a 70-300mm kit lens.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 23, 2014 06:19 |  #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSphoto

Archibald wrote:Yes, it sure would (except for ultrawide, I guess).

But I never heard of a 70-300mm kit lens.

Sorry - I mis-spoke - It is a EF 75-300 F4-5.6 standard lens. I call it a "kit" lens because it came with my T4i as part of a package along with an 18-55 lens that I never use. It is not the best quality glass, but might be fine for long distance - daytime - outdoor shots.

I haven't used it much at all, but I did use it the other day in taking this shot:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

RKS
Nashville, Tn.
Canon 70D - Canon T4I and Canon 40D / Canon 100-400 v2 / Canon 24-105 L / Canon 17-55 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8/ Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma 10-20 [COLOR=red]/ Sigma EF530DG Super Flash

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,087 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 23, 2014 10:08 |  #21

RKSphoto wrote in post #17112824 (external link)
Sorry - I mis-spoke - It is a EF 75-300 F4-5.6 standard lens. I call it a "kit" lens because it came with my T4i as part of a package along with an 18-55 lens that I never use. It is not the best quality glass, but might be fine for long distance - daytime - outdoor shots.

I haven't used it much at all, but I did use it the other day in taking this shot:

OK, yes, kit quality. You probably won't use it much in the city, but once in a while you might need the extra reach.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 24, 2014 18:27 |  #22

Archibald,

How do you like your 55-250 STM?

I'm thinking I may at times want a little extra reach in San Fran. and the 55-250 maybe something worth considering - light weight yet still giving the extra reach and decent quality images (better than my 75-300 anyway).

Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips!

RKS

RKS
Nashville, Tn.

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 24, 2014 22:47 |  #23

I would recommend a wide lens (16-34) a nice prime (50mm) and a telephoto 70-200. Plan your day carefully. Fog is a pretty common issue, once I was there and I couldn't see the bridge, and I was driving across it. Not kidding, visibility was like 50'.

I would also recommend a trip to Alcatraz. Buy the tickets online from the National Park Service ONLY. They use 1 supplier to sell the tickets online. Do the night trip, buy them long in advance they sell out weeks ahead.

Pack a light jacket or sweater. It gets quite cool in SF, in Sept you'll be lucky if it gets over 75 in the day, 55 at night.

Have fun, its a great city.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,087 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 24, 2014 22:50 |  #24

RKSphoto wrote in post #17115345 (external link)
Archibald,

How do you like your 55-250 STM?

I'm thinking I may at times want a little extra reach in San Fran. and the 55-250 maybe something worth considering - light weight yet still giving the extra reach and decent quality images (better than my 75-300 anyway).

I'm enjoying the lens, no problems so far, results seem to be sharp. Here are examples at 55mm and at 250mm heavily cropped (about 40% linear).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 25, 2014 12:59 |  #25

CMfromIL wrote:

I would recommend a wide lens (16-34) a nice prime (50mm) and a telephoto 70-200. Plan your day carefully. Fog is a pretty common issue, once I was there and I couldn't see the bridge, and I was driving across it. Not kidding, visibility was like 50'.

I would also recommend a trip to Alcatraz. Buy the tickets online from the National Park Service ONLY. They use 1 supplier to sell the tickets online. Do the night trip, buy them long in advance they sell out weeks ahead.

Pack a light jacket or sweater. It gets quite cool in SF, in Sept you'll be lucky if it gets over 75 in the day, 55 at night.

Have fun, its a great city.

As for a wide angle - I have a 17-55 that I will probably take. That way I can use it for people pictures without "distorting" faces too badly from a REALLY wide lens.

I really want to try to keep it at 2 lenses so as to not have to lug around a bunch of gear. My has already told me she's NOT going to be carrying all my stuff this trip! :rolleyes:;)

Thanks for the tips!

Archibald - thanks for the sample images! Looks pretty sharp for such an inexpensive lens!

RKS

RKS
Nashville, Tn.

SwissMissy
71 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 26, 2014 15:18 as a reply to  @ RKSphoto's post |  #26

I just got back from SF about a week ago. I'm a dork and took all of my lenses:
(I use Nikon)

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8
Nikon 10-24mm
Nikon 105mm Macro
8mm Rokinon Fisheye
Nikon 18-300mm

I used the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and the Nikon 10-24mm the most -- but I'm a big wide angle fan :) The Sigma was great for handheld dusk shots, shots indoors (alcatraz), etc. I did not bring all of these lenses with me every day. I have a small camera bag, and only had one extra lens with per day. Otherwise, they stayed at the hotel.

I only used the 18-300mm lens when capturing shots of the sea lions on Pier 39 and capturing shots of Alcatraz Island from the pier. I also used my 105mm macro for this too, simply because the glass quality is much better (and thus got better sea lion shots) Otherwise I did not use these lenses at all.

My fisheye didn't get much use, but I did use it inside at Alcatraz for some interesting shots.

We had OK weather, considering we were visiting during the summer (which is the foggiest season) Lots of fog in the morning, then it would clear out for the majority of the daytime, then more fog would roll in at night. Yes, it was chilly -- highs in the upper 60s. We were wearing sweatshirts most of the time, but did have a few days where I was running around in a tank top and shorts (only to put on my hoodie a few hours later). I brought my tripod along with good intentions (wanted to get nighttime golden gate bridge/bay bridge shots but it was just too cold and wayyyy too windy every night for me to want to do this.

I don't know when you're going (I'm assuming very shortly) but from what I've heard, early Sept through October are the BEST times to go to SF for good weather. They have a great "Indian Summer" (as the locals I talked to called it), and there is much less chance of the nasty all-day fog and cloudiness of the summer...and better chance of warmer weather (warmer meaning temps in the low to mid 70s)

number ­ six
"After 40 [50] years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,950 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 26, 2014 15:59 |  #27

SwissMissy wrote in post #17119274 (external link)
I don't know when you're going (I'm assuming very shortly) but from what I've heard, early Sept through October are the BEST times to go to SF for good weather. They have a great "Indian Summer" (as the locals I talked to called it), and there is much less chance of the nasty all-day fog and cloudiness of the summer...and better chance of warmer weather (warmer meaning temps in the low to mid 70s)

Right you are.

RKS, you may well find sunshine in the summer too, but it'll still be cool and likely breezy. You'll be most comfortable if you dress like a local: jeans and sweatshirt. If you're shooting at night you'll most likely want a jacket over the sweatshirt.

Good shooting!

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

RKSphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 26, 2014 16:33 |  #28

Hey SwissMissy - thanks for the tips! We are flying out on Thursday, September 11 (of all days to fly) and return on Sunday. A short trip but maybe we will get lucky with the weather in those few days.

Have you posted any of your San Fran pictures yet?

Thanks

RKS
Nashville, Tn.

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 01, 2014 10:58 as a reply to  @ RKSphoto's post |  #29

RKS,

I just got back from another trip to SF, my location is actually Sacramento but I've not updated my profile (oops).

A couple of tips, battery park is the national park on the other end of the bay by the bridge, great night/day shots of the bridge. You can snake all the way up the road, spectacular views from the top.

Then travel across the bridge, (you'll get a toll letter in the mail a few weeks later for $7.00) an make an immediate right after the tolls. If you have a GPS on your phone, do a search for the civil war museum at the bridge. You can get some cool shots under the bridge as well here.

At night do a GPS for Twin Peaks, SF and you can get some pretty cool night shots. Make sure to pack a tripod, and hold it. VERY WINDY up there.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i638.photobucke​t.com …/San%20Fran/SFa​tNight.jpg (external link)

And the bridge from the battery

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i638.photobucke​t.com …GoldenGateNight​2-3136.jpg (external link)

BTW if you plan to do a trolley ride, hitch it from Hyde and Beach, go to Union Square (Powel and Market). DO IT EARLY. Like as early as possible. Last time we made the error of doing it in the late morning/evening. We waited for over an hour for the first leg, and over 1.75 hours for the second leg.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 01, 2014 11:38 |  #30

bring a extra set of legs,as your going to do lots and lots of walking,pack as light as you can one body along with 1 or 2 lenses in some sort of back pack! i'm a real big fan of the 24-105/4 and say your sigma 10-20, tripod not really .

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

sponsored links

4,599 views & 0 likes for this thread
San Francisco trip - which lens?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.