Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 24 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buyers: Why would you agree to pay via PayPal "gift"?

Kiwimochi
388 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 25, 2014 00:45 |  #16

photoguy6405 wrote in post #17115084 (external link)
Wrong answer. Here's what's simple: Don't you mind what others want to discuss if you have no interest. THAT's simple.

wow..what an attitude you got there pal. :rolleyes:

btw, this should be in off topic forum talk area. It has nothing to do with market watch. This thread has nothing to offer as:

Share information on good deals, coupon code stuff, second hand gems you see in stores, good shops, good service, best and worst places to buy...

sponsored links
mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 25, 2014 09:43 |  #17

As a buyer I will send money via gift in very small amounts if necessary. ie a $20 item. If I am buying even a flash then I want some sort of protection. I frown on people who ask for gift or 3% extra. I generally skip those sales ads. I have bought once or twice though from people asking for gift when the addition of the 3% still makes it a more attractive deal than another seller or local.

As a seller you don't need to worry about the buyer making a claim. They paid via gift and they are out that money. They can't go back and ask for buyer protections because as far as PP is concerned, they sent you the money as a gift. the risk is having someone turn you in to PP for violation of terms. In that case I would imagine PP could freeze your account and remove the appropriate fees. (whatever their ToS says)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,853 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 25, 2014 10:37 |  #18

mikeinctown wrote in post #17116402 (external link)
As a buyer I will send money via gift in very small amounts if necessary. ie a $20 item. If I am buying even a flash then I want some sort of protection. I frown on people who ask for gift or 3% extra. I generally skip those sales ads. I have bought once or twice though from people asking for gift when the addition of the 3% still makes it a more attractive deal than another seller or local.

As a seller you don't need to worry about the buyer making a claim. They paid via gift and they are out that money. They can't go back and ask for buyer protections because as far as PP is concerned, they sent you the money as a gift. the risk is having someone turn you in to PP for violation of terms. In that case I would imagine PP could freeze your account and remove the appropriate fees. (whatever their ToS says)

I believe the risk of receiving a Gift payment is if the Buyer claims his account was hacked and that he did not intend to send you money. You have no seller protection, as it was a gift. Not sure how often that happens, but it has potential to sting you.

I'm with the OP in not understanding the motivation. If I have to ignore the TOS I agreed to and then create risk for myself in order to save a few dollars I think I have chosen a hobby I cannot actually afford.

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 25, 2014 11:25 |  #19

tkbslc wrote in post #17115672 (external link)
Nah, this thread was about buyers paying via gift. Nice try, though.

Bingo. Twice, I have had buyers ask me if I would prefer "gift". I'm sure they were simply being polite and trying to help out and save me a few bucks. Both times I politely declined.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 25, 2014 16:54 |  #20

I'd gladly pay via the gift option...as long as the seller is willing to ship the goods first.

I find the buyer-seller psychology interesting. As buyers, we are expected to send our cash and trust the seller to ship the goods. But, as sellers, if the buyers suggested shipment prior to payment, we'd probably laugh in their faces.

My Gear

mpix345
Goldmember
2,853 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 25, 2014 17:40 |  #21

runninmann wrote in post #17117298 (external link)
I'd gladly pay via the gift option...as long as the seller is willing to ship the goods first.

I find the buyer-seller psychology interesting. As buyers, we are expected to send our cash and trust the seller to ship the goods. But, as sellers, if the buyers suggested shipment prior to payment, we'd probably laugh in their faces.

Love it. I've thought of making that offer to folks who want Gift payment. Maybe we should all start requesting that they ship goods first. It does make sense (well, as much as sending a Gift payment does in the first place).

moose10101
registered smartass
1,675 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2014 09:28 |  #22

If they're using the payment service properly (i.e. not "gift"), the buyer holds just about all of the cards. They can pretty easily get their money back if their trust turns out to be misplaced.

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 26, 2014 09:52 |  #23

I get it that there are some poor college students out there and some people who very carefully track every dollar. I don't usually pay via gift option, especially if it's on an expensive item - I like the protection. However, I've bought some little things for under $30 and sometimes the seller requests gift. I don't mind obliging and I haven't been burned.

Comes down to how much I trust the other person versus how much risk I'm willing to take. There are a few members on this forum I wouldn't hesitate buying lenses and cameras from using the gift option.

I'd rather sellers post stating that price includes shipping and Paypal fees. If I were selling, that's what I'd say and also indicate that if someone were to pay local then I could adjust the total.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 26, 2014 13:16 |  #24

Love it!!!

Nathan wrote in post #17118617 (external link)
I'd rather sellers post stating that price includes shipping and Paypal fees. If I were selling, that's what I'd say and also indicate that if someone were to pay local then I could adjust the total.

That's something I prefer to do when selling. The price I quote is the price you pay, including shipping. If you want special and/or international shipping then we'll have to talk, but in general the price is the price.

I even include insurance as I believe insurance should be solely the matter of the seller.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,738 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 26, 2014 15:58 |  #25

As a seller, I have refunded gift payments and requested they get resent as regular paypal (at the same amount they paid previously).

As a buyer, I wouldn't pay via gift if fees were 13% and the seller wanted them to be 'my' responsibility. The 3% I have paid as a buyer in private sales paid for itself (and most of the fees I've had to pay since) the first time I had to make a claim (someone tried to sell me a fake Photoshop license. I had the money back the next day).

I really don't see the 'incentive' for a buyer to pay via gift. You're basically saying 'sure, I don't care that you can basically keep my money and not send me my item.' while simultaneously saying 'haha, I didn't have to pay Paypal for their services', if your transaction goes as expected.

The real thing that sucks is that if / when Paypal decides to do anything about this (such as severely restricting how often and to whom you can send money via gift), it will likely involve a raise in fees as well, and the people that were previously using gift will simply switch to another service to try to manipulate to save that 3%, while basically ruining it for the people that play by the rules (okay, in absolute fairness, the people that scam other people are the ones that would ultimately be causing a scenario like this to happen, but at the same time, people that are willing to attempt to skirt the rules to save a few buck would at least partially be to blame as well).

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 26, 2014 17:17 |  #26

Interesting discussion. I don't do Paypal - period. I just don't like it - so I don't do it. I also don't do online business with individuals I don't trust or that don't come from a personal recommendation.

My last two transactions were for accessories for my boat. I dealt with people with whom I'd had a rather lengthy online relationship (via forum) and they were well-respected members of that on-line community. They had goods for sale that I wanted and was satisfied with the representations on quality - and I simply sent them cash via Fedex.

Yep - cash. Both transactions smooth as silk. If I'm not willing to do that with an individual in a forum - then there's simply no reason to do business with them. I'll forgo the savings and purchase from an established retailer with my CC.

That's likely why I don't make many purchases from individuals online - it just not worth the stress of not knowing what you're going to get (or not get).

Guess I'm a dying breed . . . or just crazy.

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 26, 2014 17:27 |  #27

Mistabernie wrote in post #17119352 (external link)
As a seller, I have refunded gift payments and requested they get resent as regular paypal (at the same amount they paid previously).

As a buyer, I wouldn't pay via gift if fees were 13% and the seller wanted them to be 'my' responsibility. The 3% I have paid as a buyer in private sales paid for itself (and most of the fees I've had to pay since) the first time I had to make a claim (someone tried to sell me a fake Photoshop license. I had the money back the next day).

I really don't see the 'incentive' for a buyer to pay via gift. You're basically saying 'sure, I don't care that you can basically keep my money and not send me my item.' while simultaneously saying 'haha, I didn't have to pay Paypal for their services', if your transaction goes as expected.

The real thing that sucks is that if / when Paypal decides to do anything about this (such as severely restricting how often and to whom you can send money via gift), it will likely involve a raise in fees as well, and the people that were previously using gift will simply switch to another service to try to manipulate to save that 3%, while basically ruining it for the people that play by the rules (okay, in absolute fairness, the people that scam other people are the ones that would ultimately be causing a scenario like this to happen, but at the same time, people that are willing to attempt to skirt the rules to save a few buck would at least partially be to blame as well).

Red: My feelings exactly.

Blue: I'm not so sure. If they restricted more vigorously who could use "gift" then more people would be paying the 3%, and... theoretically, at least... they wouldn't need to raise rates as they'd now be getting more revenue.

I base that on there not being other services as well entrenched as PayPal, and thus limited options.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 27, 2014 06:48 |  #28

If I know the seller through reputation and they have perfect feedback and the item is under about $250, I'll pay gift if they request it.

When I sell, I usually include the fee and shipping cost when figuring how much I'm going to ask for an item. I am turned off by ads that say add 3% for Paypal. I've bought a lot of things here and have never done that. It's an instant turnoff. Yet I always believe if it's not a sought after item, the seller will accept the price minus the 3%, but I don't bother even trying.

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 27, 2014 12:52 |  #29

Mistabernie wrote in post #17119352 (external link)

Bernie - If I ever move away from Boston, you're one of the folks I'd send payment via Paypal gift to help you avoid the fees (maybe split the fee and I'd gift you the total so that we share in the small gain). Maybe I'm foolish... but it's an easy transaction for people who trust each other. Then again, I suppose I could just as easily and quickly do a bank transaction if you're with BoA.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 29, 2014 15:33 |  #30

Nathan wrote in post #17120966 (external link)
Bernie - If I ever move away from Boston, you're one of the folks I'd send payment via Paypal gift to help you avoid the fees (maybe split the fee and I'd gift you the total so that we share in the small gain). Maybe I'm foolish... but it's an easy transaction for people who trust each other. Then again, I suppose I could just as easily and quickly do a bank transaction if you're with BoA.

In the last couple weeks I've been buying and selling a lot. In my pricing I simply state $XYZ - all in, so no asking for gift.

All three folks have sent it as gift (I think, no fees charged to me).

One guy I've known since we were in diapers. Literally, my folks are his Godparents so that doesn't really count.

The other two were just people that pinged me about my sales and after a while there was a rapport of some kind.

I would never ask, but I won't turn it down either. In one case the fee difference was enough that I upgraded the shipping and I still came out ahead.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

sponsored links

6,854 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buyers: Why would you agree to pay via PayPal "gift"?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.