Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 18:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Never ever point out a fraud...

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 26, 2014 05:05 |  #46

sarahashleyphotos wrote in post #17094579 (external link)
Also I still very much stand by the fact that using stock images anywhere near a photography business is misrepresentation and unethical. I have no personal issue with the business other than that is very very wrong.

It happens all over the place. I'd just leave these people be. It's ridiculous people would do this but don't put yourself on their level either.

sponsored links
seanlockephotography
67 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 26, 2014 06:40 |  #47

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17117453 (external link)
These people are creeps. They got caught with their pants down and get defensive and in fact offensive.

Clearly from how they operate they are not endowed with honor, and thus, the only safe option is avoiding them.

Which party are you talking about? The OP or the company they attacked?

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 26, 2014 20:00 as a reply to  @ seanlockephotography's post |  #48

seanlockephotography wrote in post #17102905 (external link)
So, no word from the OP why this vendetta against another business?

BarrySpug wrote in post #17117427 (external link)
I'm starting to think there is more to this than the OP let on initially. As others have said and asked, why would OP go after this business in the first place?

OP, if you're still actively posting, please give us the full explanation for clarity.

I imagine it was a righteous type desire to "right a wrong." Again the website stopstealingphotos.com does this on a major level. Yet the person running that website has no personal interest (that I have noticed) in any of the cases of "photo stealing" that are presented there.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

delta0014
316 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 27, 2014 08:30 |  #49

This is why I have 2 facebook accounts. My normal one and a fake one (that looks real) with none of my personal information attached to it. I can leave comments/reviews anonymously.

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 27, 2014 09:16 |  #50

MattPharmD wrote in post #17119803 (external link)
I imagine it was a righteous type desire to "right a wrong." Again the website stopstealingphotos.com does this on a major level. Yet the person running that website has no personal interest (that I have noticed) in any of the cases of "photo stealing" that are presented there.

Actually Corey Anne has had her own work stolen too. Quite recently.

Peter

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 27, 2014 12:55 |  #51

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17120612 (external link)
Actually Corey Anne has had her own work stolen too. Quite recently.

Then I shall correct myself to say "most of the cases." The point I wanted to make still holds true. With the exception of the posts she makes about her own work being stolen.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 27, 2014 16:36 |  #52

Even it 2014, it's worth picking a photographer with photos on the wall in a studio.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 27, 2014 16:45 |  #53

What's that ?

ryanshoots wrote in post #17121396 (external link)
Even it 2014, it's worth picking a photographer with photos on the wall in a studio.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

groundloop
983 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 27, 2014 20:32 as a reply to  @ Christopher Steven b's post |  #54

Let's see..... the OP hasn't weighed in for 2 weeks now. I bet we can keep this thread going for at least another month without her. Anyone wanna' put some money on that? :rolleyes:

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 27, 2014 21:05 |  #55

groundloop wrote in post #17121766 (external link)
Let's see..... the OP hasn't weighed in for 2 weeks now. I bet we can keep this thread going for at least another month without her. Anyone wanna' put some money on that? :rolleyes:

Probably.

I think I had to manually set in my forum profile to send notification emails for threads I post in. Prior to that I would just check and sometimes forget about the thread. Point being, maybe she doesn't have any reminders to check back.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 29, 2014 08:36 |  #56

I feel sorry for the Op that people here appear to have attacked her for pointing out theft. She posted the conditions of licensing from the site, and going by the screen shots taken, there is a violation of the agreement.

not sure I would have handled it the same way, but clearly the photo site misrepresented their work and then bahaved in a manner no business should when they retailiated.

seanlockephotography
67 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 29, 2014 13:32 |  #57

mikeinctown wrote in post #17124281 (external link)
I feel sorry for the Op that people here appear to have attacked her for pointing out theft. She posted the conditions of licensing from the site, and going by the screen shots taken, there is a violation of the agreement.

not sure I would have handled it the same way, but clearly the photo site misrepresented their work and then bahaved in a manner no business should when they retailiated.

She has no proof of "theft", and it isn't a violation of the condition of licensing, screenshots or not. And she did it over 3 or 4 images, the use of most of them wasn't even within the last year. It's an odd choice to start a "cleanse the internet of what I think is inappropriate" campaign.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 29, 2014 13:54 |  #58

Was going by the quoted part of the licensing agreement from the first page. When these people may have used them is irrelevent.

Even if licensing them for use as an advertisement where they are portraying themselves as the creators of the photos, it is still dishonest of the company to do so, making people think their work is of a given quality that is represented, when it may not be.

seanlockephotography
67 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 29, 2014 14:01 |  #59

Why do you think they are portraying themselves as the creators? Do you see copyright claims anywhere? Did they say "Check out this random bunch of flowers we shot"? Nope. The mere use of a stock image by a photographer, or an icon by a designer, or a sound sample by an audio artist does not imply ownership.

When they used them would be irrelevant if we were actually pursuing a violation, but in this case, it speaks to the OP's determination to dig into the past to find something to rate this other company on.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,477 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 29, 2014 14:52 |  #60

Sometimes taking a different approach can work.

I noticed someone marketing themselves on social media using others watermarked images and implying they were samples of their work. Because this person did not know me, I was able to respond as a potential customer, and politely play dumb. "I'm confused. An image you are posting here is watermarked xyz photography, another is watermarked abc photography. I don't quite understand, did you actually shoot these photos?" The response back was "No, these are just representative of a type of shoot I COULD do." To which I replied, "Oh, I see. Well, could you provide us a link to some of your work? Thank you." The response, "My website is still under construction."

Yeah, politely busted for all to see! The key is the person in question must not know you, or that you are trying to attack them.

Some folks doing this stuff may have good intententions, but are clueless to the fact that this could mislead the customer, and could possibly land them in hot water if the photographer found out. Without an explicit explanation that the work shown is not theirs they are using questionable methods to market. On the other hand, others know exactly what they are doing and simply don't care.

sponsored links

11,459 views & 0 likes for this thread
Never ever point out a fraud...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.