Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Aug 2014 (Monday) 20:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50mb/s CF cards for Wedding work

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 25, 2014 20:27 |  #1

Hi Folks,

I'm after some advice and feedback with these cards:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …gb_ultra_cmpct_​flash.html (external link)

B&H and Adorama are doing a special on these cards and i'm looking at buying 5-6 of these to replace my current 16gb cards, which are these kind:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …t_flash.html/pr​m/alsVwDtl (external link)

I'm not trigger happy and rarely shoot off more than 3 shot bursts. What i'd like to know is whether the 120mb/s is overkill and whether 50mb/s is fast enough for wedding work, I shoot full RAW on a 5D3. 32gb would definitely mean less changes which would be a bonus.

Anybody used the 50mb/s cards before and can share their opinon pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 25, 2014 23:43 |  #2

You will be fine. Even with fastest card, once you fill the buffer, the burst rate will still slow down. Those 120MB/s speed makes most difference when you download photo via USB3.0 card reader.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

jackinavox
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 26, 2014 16:34 |  #3

eelnoraa wrote in post #17117962 (external link)
You will be fine. Even with fastest card, once you fill the buffer, the burst rate will still slow down. Those 120MB/s speed makes most difference when you download photo via USB3.0 card reader.

Thanks, good feedback about the read speed when downloading I had not thought of that. :)

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 27, 2014 08:44 as a reply to  @ jackinavox's post |  #4

If you look at capacity.... The 32GB at $36 and the 16GB at $50.... So to get 32GB of SPEED you pay $100 which is about 3x as much as the slower cards....

If you only shoot the occasional burst, get the slower cards and save a few bucks...

DL speed is an issue. But how often is speed that important (have it downloaded in 10 minutes or get fired?)... Generally while cards are DLing, I'm pulling batts to charges, cleaning lenses. Checking my emails. Speed is nice, but if you shoot only 64GB at wedding it doesn't make a whole lot of difference... When I shoot 320GB at an airshow, DLing 15,000 pictures, speed helps but it helps me more in shooting. I can still DL them while doing other things.....

When I shoot static planes, I use old 266x cards... When I shoot flying planes, I shoot 1000x cards.... So there is room for all kinds of speed, and old/new cards.... Maybe buy a few of the faster cards...

In your case speed doesn't matter a lot, so if you want the speed and have the money, go for the speed. Me. I'd get the slower cards...

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

854 views & 0 likes for this thread
50mb/s CF cards for Wedding work
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.