Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 09:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Justifying New Lenses

EricTober
67 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 27, 2014 09:01 |  #1

So I approached my wife about my idea to purchase a few new lenses - Only 14k for a 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 28-70 2.8, 100 macro plus tubes and extenders. (hey I don't have kids to spend on) She asked how can I justify spending that kind of money on a hobby?

I quickly replied that other people spend money on boats, expensive golf clubs, etc. Not sure she bought into the idea.

How do you justify the purchase of photo equipment?

Canon 5D mkiii . Canon 24-70 f4 . Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 . Canon 85 f1.8

sponsored links
vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 27, 2014 09:15 |  #2

It's a hobby for me as well, and I don't justify purchases to my wife. We both have an amount of money we call hobby money or fun money and we spend it as we see fit. If she wants to spend her fun money on an expensive pair of shoes or a purse, that's entirely up to her. If I want to spend my money on a lens or a giant inflatable ball pit, that's entirely up to me.

As to if 14K is too much or too little to spend on a hobby, entirely depends on how much you make and save. If you're putting thousands in savings every month, it's probably not too much. If you're putting nothing into savings then it's obviously is.

Though, I will say, you might break it up to a single lens at a time. You'll likely get a much less push back. Also, you're spending what, 2-3X what you've already got invested in the hobby? That is kinda a big jump.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 27, 2014 09:22 |  #3

Just buy it and take it home if you can afford it.... I've got a friend with $100mil in airplanes... Its all relative...

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,280 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 27, 2014 09:22 as a reply to  @ vengence's post |  #4

I get a little at a time, usually as a Christmas present from my wife to me, or from Santa to us both. A body here, a lens there. Two years ago it was a 5DIII, this past Christmas a Tamron 150-600 (Although I got it well after Christmas), one year a 100L, another a 70-200L. Hopefully a Tamron 24-70 Di VC USD this year :D I've been good, Santa. I promise.

Makes it easier to justify, not only to her, but to myself. And it gives me something to look forward to. Without a new toy, it ain't Christmas... just like when you were a kid.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Silverwolfpup
384 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 27, 2014 09:23 |  #5

vengence wrote in post #17120610 (external link)
It's a hobby for me as well, and I don't justify purchases to my wife. We both have an amount of money we call hobby money or fun money and we spend it as we see fit. If she wants to spend her fun money on an expensive pair of shoes or a purse, that's entirely up to her. If I want to spend my money on a lens or a giant inflatable ball pit, that's entirely up to me.

As to if 14K is too much or too little to spend on a hobby, entirely depends on how much you make and save. If you're putting thousands in savings every month, it's probably not too much. If you're putting nothing into savings then it's obviously is.

Though, I will say, you might break it up to a single lens at a time. You'll likely get a much less push back. Also, you're spending what, 2-3X what you've already got invested in the hobby? That is kinda a big jump.

I agree with what you said, purchase them one at a time by saving up money, and that is seriously a huge jump, i would never spend that kind of money unless if i won the lottery and make really really good money. The lens i want is a Canon 200-400 F4L one lens cost more then all the lenses that you want. but i came to the conclusion that i will never own this lens, it's not reality for me :p But i would keep the Canon 24-70 F4 the 28-70 is that a tamron lens ?

Eyes Of The Wolf Photography With GOD all things are possible
Please visit my website http://seanlittreal.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Gear lineup: [Canon 40D 10MP][Canon 60D 18MP] Canon 10-22mm][Canon 24-70 2.8L][Canon 70-200 F4L][Gitzo tripod][And some filters and camera accesseries

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,126 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 27, 2014 09:27 |  #6

I've been married 25 years, and never had an issue with "justifying" any purchase. We are both good about managing our money, and only buy what we can afford. When I want a new lens, golf clubs, etc., I do let her know what I'm buying, but it's never a problem.

It comes down to trust and knowing what your financial limits are. And don't go into debt for non-essential items.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

NullMind
629 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 27, 2014 09:28 |  #7

EricTober wrote in post #17120579 (external link)
So I approached my wife about my idea to purchase a few new lenses - Only 14k for a 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 28-70 2.8, 100 macro plus tubes and extenders. (hey I don't have kids to spend on) She asked how can I justify spending that kind of money on a hobby?

I quickly replied that other people spend money on boats, expensive golf clubs, etc. Not sure she bought into the idea.

How do you justify the purchase of photo equipment?

You went about it the wrong way, first buy her a nice LV purse or something expensive as a gift to her, then say you are buying something for yourself while she is on the high of the gift !

Works (almost) every time !

NullMind
Sony A7R + Zeiss 15 2.8, Zeiss 21 2.8, Zeiss 85 1.2,TS-E 17L, 100L, 135L, Canon 50 0.95, Voigtlander 35 1.2, Helios 44M-6, 580EX II, Feisol 3441S, Markins Q3T Red
Full Gear & Feedback
Please excuse the Typos, Brain and Finguers can't sync.

pig ­ pile
49 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 27, 2014 09:39 |  #8

only buy the lens when there are rebates, push over the rebate to her after you get it.....you get what you want, and she can buy something she wants #winning :)

Gear: 5D III, EOS-M (converted to 590 IR), 16-35 II, 24-70 II, 85/1.2, 100/2.8 macro, 135/2, 70-200/2.8 IS II, Tamzooka 150-600, Rokinon 14/2.8, Rokinon 8 Fish, 40 pancake, 22 M, 18-55 M

delta0014
308 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 27, 2014 09:43 |  #9

Would you let your wife drop 14K on her hobby?

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

Silverwolfpup
384 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 27, 2014 09:43 |  #10

pig pile wrote in post #17120657 (external link)
only buy the lens when there are rebates, push over the rebate to her after you get it.....you get what you want, and she can buy something she wants #winning :)

Yeah rebates are nice, it's just hard to wait till they release them :p

Eyes Of The Wolf Photography With GOD all things are possible
Please visit my website http://seanlittreal.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Gear lineup: [Canon 40D 10MP][Canon 60D 18MP] Canon 10-22mm][Canon 24-70 2.8L][Canon 70-200 F4L][Gitzo tripod][And some filters and camera accesseries

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 27, 2014 09:54 as a reply to  @ post 17120671 |  #11

I sell photos so my hobby pays for my gear.

If I didn't make money off of it I'd have a hard time justifying numbers like that.

Saying that other people throw their money down the toilet doesn't mean it is a good idea.

But, it is your money. Just don't complain when the wife spends $12K on a purse.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 27, 2014 10:26 |  #12

If you bought a convertible to drive on your days off and it cost $14k how would you afford it??

The large SUM of money spent on photography as a hobby is not spent all at one time, it is done over time. Few people buy a house and pay for it all at once, if you get my drift.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Augphoto
194 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 27, 2014 10:36 |  #13

I've used that line (logic) many times with my wife. Even justifying it to myself. I know people that spend that much, at one time, on their hobby. Classic muscle cars come to mind.

With that said, I agree with most. That's a lot at one time, unless you've won a lottery or something. My hobby purchases came slowly over 35 years. One at a time would be my recommendation.

In the end, it's your (and your spouse's) money. Do, as a team, as you see fit.

Cameras - 7D, 5D MkIII Lenses - 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM, 17-40 f/4L USM, 24-70 f/2.8L USM, 24-105 f/4L IS USM 70-200 f/4L IS USM, also a Canon Extender EF 1.4 III
Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Twitter (external link) -

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 27, 2014 10:54 |  #14

She asked how can I justify spending that kind of money on a hobby?

"because I want to and we can afford it"

there :-)

Unless you can't really afford it, but then you'd probably not be looking at spending that much at once.

Considering that you'll most likely have those lenses for many years, the per year cost is certainly cheaper than a fancy gym, golf, hunting, travel, and so on.

Hobbies are for your spare time, your relaxation, your reward for working and as long as one does not go into debt for them or only heats ramen to afford the hobby, there's nothing wrong with spending on it.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

losangelino
925 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 27, 2014 10:56 |  #15

If you buy used or wait for deals and refurb you can prob cut the price on your estimate significantly. I'm also a hobbyist and only buy gear that way.

My wife is cool regardless and she likes my hobby. And we both make decent money. But I take it upon myself to save where I can.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @spyology (external link)
IG: @photomagicology (external link)

sponsored links

5,524 views & 0 likes for this thread
Justifying New Lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.