Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Spider Pro vs Capture Clip - my opinion

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 28, 2014 17:24 |  #1

Hey all, thought I'd share a little feedback on the Spider Pro holster vs. the Capture Clip from Peak Designs.

A little background: I shoot mostly events/weddings but also enjoy hiking around and taking nature photos. I hate neck straps and sling bags, don't mind sling straps but still find them cumbersome. My camera is a 60D with battery grip and a few mid-size lenses.

I first purchased the Capture Clip because I thought it would be an inexpensive solution to carry my SLR on my belt. Unfortunately it really isn't designed to support a gripped SLR. I tried mounting it to all manner of pads and nylon straps I had laying around the house, but it still pulled on my belt and left the camera hanging at an awkward angle. Peak designs sells an accessory, the "Pro Pad" that is supposed to mitigate this problem, but it costs $30, which puts the total price around $100, nearly as expensive as the Spider Pro holster. I really like the design of the Capture Clip and think it would work very well for backpacking with a small SLR or G-series point and shoot. It's great that you can mount the clip anywhere and that the plate is compatible with Arca tripod heads. However, it just isn't a viable solution for carrying a heavy camera.

I really didn't want to spend $135 on a camera holster, but after trying the Spider Pro at a local camera shop, this fool and his money were soon parted. The belt is very comfortable and the plate and holster are well-designed. It doesn't feel like the camera is putting pressure on the locking mechanism, as it does with the Capture Clip. Even with the lock disengaged, the camera feels very secure. The plate is, unfortunately, not tripod-compatible. It is also a bit cumbersome and makes setting the camera down on a flat surface somewhat difficult. For large DSLR's, though, the Spider Pro feels much more secure and comfortable than the Capture Clip. It's not ideal for backpacking, but seems to be the obvious winner for wedding/event photography.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,263 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 28, 2014 17:57 |  #2

for events, that spider looks to take the cake. I have a belt system, and I'de bet it's even more comfortable than the spider, but being so bulky, maybe not good for events.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,468 posts
Gallery: 354 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 28, 2014 18:07 |  #3

I've used the capture clip for a while now but only on the smaller cameras, the 5D3 with the grip on makes the clip dig into my leg and then pain, lots of pain. I dislike straps - really dislike them - but needs must and all that. I think their pro pad might work out well but, honestly, with a big camera and lens I find the (blackrapid) strap better all round. With a smaller camera its great.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)

jt354
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 28, 2014 18:15 |  #4

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17123416 (external link)
I've used the capture clip for a while now but only on the smaller cameras, the 5D3 with the grip on names the clip dig into my leg and then pain, lots of pain. I dislike straps - really dislike them - but needs must and all that. I think their pro pad might work out well but, honestly, with a big camera and lens I find the (blackrapid) strap better all round. With a smaller camera its great.

I tested the Spider holster at the shop with a 5D + grip and "the brick" and it handled the weight well. I wouldn't hesitate to use it with a heavy DSLR.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,468 posts
Gallery: 354 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 28, 2014 18:22 |  #5

jt354 wrote in post #17123426 (external link)
I tested the Spider holster at the shop with a 5D + grip and "the brick" and it handled the weight well. I wouldn't hesitate to use it with a heavy DSLR.

Good to know, must try one out.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 28, 2014 18:57 |  #6

I love my capture clip and it is great for backpacks and shoulder bags. Its even comfotable with a 70-200 f2.8 sized lens (sigma 50-150 OS, same size as a 70-200) attached to the camera (60D)

BUT if I needed a clip for a gripped body, or any camera/lens combo on my belt, then I'd pick up a spider. I beleive it is a far better option for those uses!

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 29, 2014 01:53 |  #7

jt354 wrote in post #17123426 (external link)

I have been using a SpiderHolster for about two years now, first with 1d4, now with 1DX
One body has a 16-35 and the other a 70-200
No issues yet (although the pins are showing some wear, i will probably replace them in the next 6 months or so)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,136 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 29, 2014 14:02 |  #8

Here is an example of gripped camera on the Peak Design with no ProPad (with Capture v1

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …views/images/ca​pture2.jpg (external link)

Here is with the ProPad (with CapturePro v2)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …es/peakdesign_p​ropad6.jpg (external link)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …es/peakdesign_p​ropad8.jpg (external link)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …s/peakdesign_pr​opad10.jpg (external link)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …s/peakdesign_pr​opad12.jpg (external link)

It still hangs at an angle with the ProPad but now, there is support to prevent the corner of the Capture Clip from digging into your hip.

Here is the Spider Holster with a gripped camera

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …mages/spiderhol​ster19.jpg (external link)

http://i1126.photobuck​et.com …mages/spiderhol​ster23.jpg (external link)

The Spider Holster does sag due to weight of the gear. I have my Spider Holster on a Think Tank Pro Speed Belt.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22mm
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 29, 2014 17:26 |  #9

I only look at Peak Design for my NX300 mirrorless camera. It really isn't a good solution for larger bodies or lenses.
The B-Grip is a better solution for larger bodies and lenses for carrying in the same bottom of camera-to hip solution. It prevents your lens from touching your leg.

I use the dual Spider Holster now and just can't see going back to slings for double body holding. The Spider is solid, well designed, and really smart. The main thing for me is being able to set the lock to "open" and be able to pull out either camera with one handed operation (unlike other systems that require two hands to remove the camera. Yeah, the Spider is pretty freakin' awesome :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,553 posts
Gallery: 244 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 30, 2014 07:31 |  #10

After initial use of Capture Clip, it now collects dust as I gave up using it for my 5DIII with 24-70L/70-200L. If I ever get a light camera with light lens, I might pick it up again. I now exclusively use Cotton Carrier Vest.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 31, 2014 18:23 |  #11

I wanted to like the Peak Design. I really did. I even bought one of their t-shirts. But neither version 1 nor 2 was of great quality and even with the pro pad was incapable of holding a large dslr with lens. I immediately sold mine at a bargain price.

iTookMyShot
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 31, 2014 19:00 |  #12

I too prefer the Cotton Carrier, but only after modifying it with help from Scott Dordick and some of his Acratech gear

5D mkIV, 2x)7D mkII, 500 f4L IS mkII, 100-400L IS mkII, 70-200 2.8L IS mkII, 24-70 2.8L mkII, 16-35 2.8L mkIII, 100 2.8L IS, 600EX-RT x4

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 31, 2014 19:17 |  #13

I love my capture clip but I only use it on a backpack strap (where it would easily hold a much bigger setup than I have, as long as it is a real pack not just some oversized purse)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

sponsored links

8,455 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spider Pro vs Capture Clip - my opinion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.