Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 18:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SD (not micro) to CF adaptors to fit 5D3?

Traybor
72 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 28, 2014 18:20 |  #1

Hi guys, I know there's been discussion before about the slow SD slot and also about SD to CF adaptors etc but couldn't find the answer to this.

I've just found out to my dismay about the write performance problem with the SD slot, after recently buying a couple of fast & large capacity SD cards as I'm doing timelapse stuff.

Obviously I'm disappointed to have spent money on 2 cards that don't cut it, but not because of the cards themselves, because of the camera.

What I need to know is where I can find an adaptor that takes a normal size SD card (not a micro SD), and is for fitment in a CF1 slot, not a CF2 slot.
All the ones I find for CF1 slots only take micro SD cards.(

Does anyone know if the right adaptor exists?! And assuming I find one, will I then get the benefit of the fast SD cards by using them in an adaptor in the CF slot?

Thanks for any input and sorry if this has been covered and I couldn't find it!

5D Mk3, EF17-40L F4, EF24-105L F4 IS, EF70-200L F4 IS, 580EXii, 550EX, 430EX

sponsored links
ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 28, 2014 18:30 |  #2

I've never seen one - and don't think they do (or could) make one.

A Type 1 CF card is 3.3 mm thick. An SD card is 2.1mm thick. I can't imagine an adapter that can accommodate the 2.1mm thickness of the SD card in the 3.3mm depth of the CF1 card. They've got them for the MicroSD cards - likely because the MicroSD is only 1mm thick.

Traybor
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 28, 2014 18:35 |  #3

Ahh - that makes sense then, thanks for clarifying.

Does the mk2 have a CF2 slot or CF1 then? I forget now, but I've seen ones advertised for the mk2 I'm sure, but not the mk3? Maybe I imagined it of course.

Well this is a bit of a problem then :(
Can't believe I only just found out, but then I've never previously had the need to continually shoot raw for more than a couple of hundred shots at a time, so have been fine with my 8gb Sandisk extreme CF cards, then recently got into timelapse and bought some large & relatively cheap fast SD cards to 'upgrade'. :(

Guess I'll have to see if my friends need any SD cards!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,273 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 28, 2014 19:10 |  #4

Putting an SD card into a CF adapter is not likely to result in vast speed increases, if any at all. CF cards are faster because they have a built-in controller. The SD card relies on the camera internal processor as will the SD card in a CF adapter.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 29, 2014 02:03 |  #5

Traybor wrote in post #17123431 (external link)
I've just found out to my dismay about the write performance problem with the SD slot, after recently buying a couple of fast & large capacity SD cards as I'm doing timelapse stuff.

Obviously I'm disappointed to have spent money on 2 cards that don't cut it, but not because of the cards themselves, because of the camera.

I don't get what you are trying to do. For starters, there is zero performance hit if you are writing to one card and not both at the same time.

Why do you want an adapter in the first place? Your SD cards will perform as advertised. If they don't, it has nothing to do with the camera (assuming you are shooting with a single SD card).

It sounds like you are thinking you can put a SD card in a CF adapter and somehow get CF speeds or fake the camera into thinking the SD card is a CF card. I have no idea why you would want to do that as the SD card will perform as it would normally.

Lastly, adapters almost always slow read and write speeds down due to overhead.

Here is a SD to CF1 adapter
http://www.amazon.com …tal-Cameras/dp/B00008WD8W (external link)

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Traybor
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 29, 2014 02:54 as a reply to  @ Gregg.Siam's post |  #6

Thanks for the link, that's great but I'll have to look for that model where someone has stock. Great though cheers.

I'm not sure what's not to get sorry.
The write speed in the mk3 SD card slot is maxed at about 20MB/s which is no use to me, and I only found this last night.

So I've bought fast SD cards for timelapse only to find they will not run at their proper speeds due to canon using a crap bottlenecked interface with the sd slot.

So an adaptor can provide a speed increase by allowing the sd cards to run in the cf slot.

It's well documented about the sd thing. I just hadn't seem it til yesterday. :(

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,012 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 29, 2014 04:57 |  #7

Have you tried out your scenario already and found the SD card speed limiting?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Traybor
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 29, 2014 06:40 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #8

Very much so yes.

I try to get a sustained 1fps timelapse running with intervalometer and as soon as to buffer is full it struggles and does erratic shots because it cannot write to SD fast enough despite the card having 60MB/s write speed.
The same kind of card but CF with 60MB/s has no problem.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,012 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 29, 2014 07:25 |  #9

Maybe this then?
http://www.amazon.co.u​k …eed-Adapter/dp/B004QY0M7C (external link)

Are you shooting raw and jpg, just jpg, or mraw? Choosing a different size image type might help.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Traybor
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 29, 2014 07:56 |  #10

Thanks

I just shoot raw so it's shooting around 25MB/s but can only write to sd at 20, hence the problem, even though its a 60 write card.

That adaptor won't fit as its cf2 and the 5d3 has a thinner cf1 slot unfortunately. All the cf1 adapters seem to take micro sd cards only because of the thickness problem that ddk2001 described.

Except the one linked further down which is out of stock alas.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 29, 2014 08:24 |  #11

Traybor wrote in post #17124119 (external link)
Very much so yes.

I try to get a sustained 1fps timelapse running with intervalometer and as soon as to buffer is full it struggles and does erratic shots because it cannot write to SD fast enough despite the card having 60MB/s write speed.
The same kind of card but CF with 60MB/s has no problem.

You might try a faster SD card. I use 90MBps ones.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 29, 2014 10:11 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #12

Cut your losses and buy a fast CF card.

I think you will be disappointed trying to adapt a SD card. Even if you could find an adapter, there is no guarantee that the SD card will perform at the stated rate.

Can you show me where it states the SD card slot is limited to 20Mbs when writing just to the SD card slot? I know Rob Galbraith stated ~19Mbs max, BUT he was writing to the CF card and the SD card at the same time. This causes the SD card to write slower. With just the SD card in the slot, this phenomenon does not exits.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Traybor
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 29, 2014 13:10 |  #13

I probably will have just buy a large/fast cf card as you've said since I can't get hold of a suitable adaptor anyway. :(
Reports I've read say that people don't get the native sd speed, but much faster than using the sd slot itself so it would do what I need, but I can't find anyone stocking them even though previously there have been a few made.

As for a link explaining this (I can see you don't believd me! Lol)

There's other topics on here that go into it in detail but just quickly googling it here's one article:
http://www.canonwatch.​com …with-the-eos-5d-mark-iii/ (external link)

Hope that helps

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 29, 2014 13:22 |  #14

Traybor wrote in post #17124845 (external link)
I probably will have just buy a large/fast cf card as you've said since I can't get hold of a suitable adaptor anyway. :(
Reports I've read say that people don't get the native sd speed, but much faster than using the sd slot itself so it would do what I need, but I can't find anyone stocking them even though previously there have been a few made.

As for a link explaining this (I can see you don't believd me! Lol)

There's other topics on here that go into it in detail but just quickly googling it here's one article:
http://www.canonwatch.​com …with-the-eos-5d-mark-iii/ (external link)

Hope that helps

Hi
Sent you a pm if you want one - just pay the postage and you can have it free.
Latest generation of Sd/ Cf jacket. Apparently the fastest.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links

1,866 views & 0 likes for this thread
SD (not micro) to CF adaptors to fit 5D3?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.