Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 19:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Arsat Tilt shift!? Any one play with one?

xarik
Goldmember
1,776 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 28, 2014 19:01 |  #1

Hey all,

I was looking at the Arsat 80mm F2.8 Tilt shift because it's the cheapest tilt shift lens I've seen on the market. I was wondering if this is a full frame lens and I was wondering if anyone had any reviews for it? 80mm is pretty long for this lens so I'm not sure I'll even be happy with it, but I would love to get a tilt shift lens to play with (A real one with good optics).

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com …r=1-8&keywords=tilt+shift (external link)

I love the miniature look as well as using this for building photos when I'm at their base or something along those lines.

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

sponsored links
phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 28, 2014 19:08 |  #2

don't know it, but 80mm is going to be too long at the base of a building. I think these are used more for portraits, products, and food photography.
A tricky thing, tripod is a must, patience and practice required. I borrowed one once, was too slow for my taste. A very special use kind of lens.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,776 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 28, 2014 19:15 |  #3

phantelope wrote in post #17123498 (external link)
don't know it, but 80mm is going to be too long at the base of a building. I think these are used more for portraits, products, and food photography.
A tricky thing, tripod is a must, patience and practice required. I borrowed one once, was too slow for my taste. A very special use kind of lens.

I have a tripod and for my type of shots I can wait and take many many shots until I'm satisfied so it's worth a shot....I wish I could just use one for like a month and return it if I hated it :P. I also would LOVE to do miniature photography haha. I wouldn't tilt/shift for portraits unless I wanted more in my FOV, I despise images with tilt shift for regular photos tbh :P.

Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 28, 2014 20:19 |  #4

it might just be a bit long, set your 24-105 to 80mm and see if that will work for your plans. Reviews on Amazon are pretty decent (though only 4). Might also want to look into the Rokinon offerings, though I think they're more expensive.

With Amazon you have something like 30 days return, just have to pay shipping unless the lens doesn't work as described, then return is free. Worth a try I'd say. Check the return policy, it's pretty good with Amazon.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 28, 2014 20:35 |  #5

this lens has terrible benchmarks

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 28, 2014 20:55 |  #6

xarik wrote in post #17123486 (external link)
Hey all,

I was looking at the Arsat 80mm F2.8 Tilt shift because it's the cheapest tilt shift lens I've seen on the market. I was wondering if this is a full frame lens and I was wondering if anyone had any reviews for it? 80mm is pretty long for this lens so I'm not sure I'll even be happy with it, but I would love to get a tilt shift lens to play with (A real one with good optics).

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com …r=1-8&keywords=tilt+shift (external link)

I love the miniature look as well as using this for building photos when I'm at their base or something along those lines.

No never played with one, I own a TSE 17mm f4 L and a TSE 24mm MK I 1.3.

Personally I would pass on that lens, its the cheapest Tilt shift on the market, that should tell you something.
There was a Rokinon 24mm tilt shift listed in the for sale section for 550.00 bucks

Farmer

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,776 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 29, 2014 00:14 |  #7

I mean, based on sample images, it's a terrific lens. I would be pairing it with a 5D2 so it'd be pushed to its peak on that body (hopefully). If it's not sharp (like a lens baby) then I'm not interested. I want something I can try for a bit and return if need be and $550 on a 24 is good but I need to sell gear soon to fund it. Any suggestions on an old TSE or something like that that wouldn't cost me both my arms?

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 29, 2014 04:42 |  #8

If it's for fun, you can try to adapt a lens designed for 6x6 (some 80mm are cheap...) with a plunger!

http://www.creativepro​.com …shift-camera-lens-peanuts (external link)

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

sponsored links

1,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
Arsat Tilt shift!? Any one play with one?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.