Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 25 Aug 2014 (Monday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old Chair (my first attempt at a still pic)

mamaof2
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Aug 25, 2014 11:33 |  #1

This is my first "still" picture...CC welcome!

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3921/14844844207_67d62bed65_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oBMG​ZM  (external link) chair (external link) by mamaof2wi (external link), on Flickr

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 26, 2014 07:02 |  #2

My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but too me, if the chair is the subject it needs to all be in focus with a wider DOF, the top back is starting to get out of focus. Another way this could go is to make the box on the chair the subject, and for that I'd bring up the blue lettering and red rust a little to make it stand out.

I'm not sure if I love or hate the bokeh on the trees way in the background. It's different. I think it's best said as I like it for what it is but I don't think I should even notice it in this picture, so it's actually distracting. (Not much you can do about that i guess, what Lens was this BTW?)

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Aug 26, 2014 07:08 |  #3

travisvwright wrote in post #17118306 (external link)
My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but too me, if the chair is the subject it needs to all be in focus with a wider DOF, the top back is starting to get out of focus. Another way this could go is to make the box on the chair the subject, and for that I'd bring up the blue lettering and red rust a little to make it stand out.

I'm not sure if I love or hate the bokeh on the trees way in the background. It's different. I think it's best said as I like it for what it is but I don't think I should even notice it in this picture, so it's actually distracting. (Not much you can do about that i guess, what Lens was this BTW?)

Thanks for the feed back. I did try and make the container with the old dead plant in it the main focus but maybe i missed focus on that too? As for making the colors pop more..I had them set pretty high and on my screen they do pop...but my screen could be off as I have never had it calibrated.

Again thanks for your feed back!

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 29, 2014 01:54 |  #4

travisvwright wrote in post #17118306 (external link)

That's all fine and well, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't want to start there. Technical details absolutely matter, but this is a conceptual image that isn't just about a chair or a flower box. Nailing down the technical aspects won't mean a thing if the statement doesn't get across, and this image is bringing up several questions. Such as...

1) Why is the potted plant dead? Why not use a live plant?

2) Why did the photographer use a flower box which is emblazoned with the word "fresh"? Does that obvious conflict between decay and freshness work in this image?

3) Why is the chair decayed?

4) Why a chair? Is there a reason for that? Would a stool or a log not have conveyed the same message?

5) Why is the surrounding environment lush and green, instead of being as dead as the chair and the potted plant?

Again, not saying that I disagree with you. But this image doesn't seem to be about a chair or a potted plant. It seems to be a highly contrived image that is about the relationship between things, and I think there should be at least an equal focus on critiquing what those relationships actually say.

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Aug 29, 2014 08:18 as a reply to  @ Clean Gene's post |  #5

Personally, I think a good artful pic is supposed to do exactly that: raise questions in your mind ! Yes, the word is "Fresh" ... and we all noticed that - and realized it contrasted with "decay".

To me, the biggest contrast was "all alone on the bright green grass". It reminded me of a statue I saw on the lawn of the Ringling museum - it was of a maiden tied to the top of a raging bull ... again on a field of bright green grass.

Contrasts can be good. This wasn't a smooth pic of a beautiful flower - it is what it is.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

PapaGary
515 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 29, 2014 08:37 |  #6

A better title would be:

Farm Fresh

MakeMeShutter
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 29, 2014 09:08 |  #7

This image made me smile!
I like the irony created by the words "farm fresh" and the overall state of decay.
I like the lines, curves and assumed tactile qualities presented in this image.
Thanks for sharing this momaof2.
--Shawn

New York Dragonflies (external link)
NYDragonflies.com

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Aug 29, 2014 19:25 |  #8

Thanks all of you for our comments....I was very interested in everything you all had to say. It brought up conversation so there for my picture was a success in my eyes.

Jessi
flickr (external link)

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Aug 29, 2014 19:28 |  #9

PapaGary wrote in post #17124284 (external link)
A better title would be:

Farm Fresh

You know what I agree and I will change the title

Jessi
flickr (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 09, 2014 00:51 |  #10

bubbygator wrote in post #17124254 (external link)
Personally, I think a good artful pic is supposed to do exactly that: raise questions in your mind ! Yes, the word is "Fresh" ... and we all noticed that - and realized it contrasted with "decay".

To me, the biggest contrast was "all alone on the bright green grass". It reminded me of a statue I saw on the lawn of the Ringling museum - it was of a maiden tied to the top of a raging bull ... again on a field of bright green grass.

Contrasts can be good. This wasn't a smooth pic of a beautiful flower - it is what it is.

Well, raising questions is a good start, but it's often not enough. Is THIS a good photograph? I don't know. I'm just saying that the questions sort of need be be addressed first in order to see what relevance the technicalities have. What is being communicated here? How effectively has that been communicated? Once that's addressed, then it's possible to give technical suggestions to help better express what is being stated.

LeonD
20 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 18, 2014 07:46 |  #11

I like the concept and the chair/plant.

The trees are kind of weirding me out.

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Sep 18, 2014 08:11 |  #12

Thanks...What do you mean trees?

Jessi
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,528 views & 0 likes for this thread
Old Chair (my first attempt at a still pic)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.