Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To part with the 5c or not?

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 30, 2014 06:24 |  #1

I figured I would post here and see what the general brain trust could offer me. You guys might bring to light valid points that I might not think to question on my own. Here is my situation currently:

I have a 5d Classic and I have a 40d. I only own one EF-S lens at this time and the rest of my lenses are all EF mount. So, I feel like I have a decent combo to use as needed. I had a 20d and a spare 40d but recently decided to sell both off as I was running out of room just to keep extra bodies around. Last night I added the Canon 50mm 1.4 to the mix and feel like it was a nice by vs the current 50mm 1.8 II that I have simply because I always feel like I'm going to break the 1.8.

Now, I was offered a trade on a nice 60d for my 5d. I now they are semi pointless to compare to one another but the 18mp on the 60d sounds nice to me for the larger print options. I am not a MP chaser, but I have a job coming up that will require a 7-8' wide print and I think the 18mp stitched in a pano would give me a pretty good size footprint to work with.

Am I foolish for wanting the newer LCD and larger MP count vs the old 5d? Does the 60d seem like a waste to have if my only backup is the 40d? Would it be wise to make this trade and then eventually put myself into a much nicer and newer FF when I can afford to?

I've searched and read a bit but I keep seeing a lot of valid points for either body. I also sure that there are things I've not yet thought of to question yet. As far as my photos go, I'm just a hobbyist. I shoot mostly still life, landscapes and a few portraits here and there but just candid type stuff. Not looking to do any head shots or really get into portrait work.

Thanks and sorry for asking, just not sure which one would win out for my needs. The 60d seems to be appreciated from what I've seen online, so I'm curious to hear from anyone that made the jump from the 5d to the 60d.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

sponsored links
palad1n
Goldmember
1,769 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 30, 2014 06:47 |  #2

If you have 40D and 5D, personally i wouldn´t exchange 60D over 5D just because of higher mpx count and better lcd screen.

I would take 60D only if you shoot lot of action from bigger distance for crop factor and croping capability thanks to 18mpx sensorm, especially in bad light conditions.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 30, 2014 07:12 |  #3

palad1n wrote in post #17125956 (external link)
If you have 40D and 5D, personally i wouldn´t exchange 60D over 5D just because of higher mpx count and better lcd screen.

I would take 60D only if you shoot lot of action from bigger distance for crop factor and croping capability thanks to 18mpx sensorm, especially in bad light conditions.

I'd say that at times I'd be using it with the pups outside, so mild action, or when out doing stuff with my 7yo daughter. Sometimes I get out and the weather isn't always the brightest, but I'll still make a go at getting some landscape shots and macro stuff. For either body I'd often be using my 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8, 8mm fisheye or my 70-300.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 31, 2014 18:01 |  #4

Heya,

I see no reason to change cameras based on you saying you are just going to do pano & stitch, hobbyist shooting, no real portrait work, just still life and landscapes. The MP count makes very little difference at this point (13MP vs 18MP, but you're stitching anyways, so this is a moot point).

I would keep the 5D if you do portrait. It has a special look to it, and you control DOF better with it, with that new 50 F1.4. You may grow into portrait more. It will have something that neither of your APS-C's can do, DOF wise.

I'd be more apt to change the 40D plus some cash for a 60D, if you really wanted a newer body.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 01, 2014 05:50 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #17128408 (external link)
Heya,

I see no reason to change cameras based on you saying you are just going to do pano & stitch, hobbyist shooting, no real portrait work, just still life and landscapes. The MP count makes very little difference at this point (13MP vs 18MP, but you're stitching anyways, so this is a moot point).

I would keep the 5D if you do portrait. It has a special look to it, and you control DOF better with it, with that new 50 F1.4. You may grow into portrait more. It will have something that neither of your APS-C's can do, DOF wise.

I'd be more apt to change the 40D plus some cash for a 60D, if you really wanted a newer body.

Very best,

Understood, and I think it's pretty much a known fact now that the 5d has an absolutely amazing IQ and the files come off of it looking great. I've never had or handled anything newer/better since affording it was out of the question for me. I just parted with my spare 40d for that 50mm 1.4 as I wanted to get some better glass going on. Still no L stuff yet. My current 40d has just hit 6k on the shutter so I'd say it's still got a ton of life in it. Not sure how much a used 60d would run me now, or if I should go that route and part with the 40d. The 50d and I never really fell in love so I'm not sure about the 60d either. Just thought having the option for 18mp could come in handy, but maybe I don't need it as much as I think.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 01, 2014 12:34 |  #6

You have had your 5Dc for a while, and know exactly what it is capable of. So go ahead and swap it for the 60D. After you use that for a while, you will also know it's strengths and weaknesses as well as you know those of the 5Dc. Then, after you have a lot of experience with each body, you can decide to either keep the 60D or to sell it and get a 5D again.

Decisions of this nature really aren't crucial, because it is so fast, easy, and convenient to buy and sell that you can always undo or re-do any decision you make.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 01, 2014 12:57 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17129590 (external link)
You have had your 5Dc for a while, and know exactly what it is capable of. So go ahead and swap it for the 60D. After you use that for a while, you will also know it's strengths and weaknesses as well as you know those of the 5Dc. Then, after you have a lot of experience with each body, you can decide to either keep the 60D or to sell it and get a 5D again.

Decisions of this nature really aren't crucial, because it is so fast, easy, and convenient to buy and sell that you can always undo or re-do any decision you make.

I guess my main concern was the build quality of the 60d as I can't find anywhere locally to get my hands on one. I've heard they feel cheaper in the hand compared the the 40/50d as they don't use the same frames but I don't think I'm ever all that tough on a camera to begin with.

The 5d takes a great shot, and I got it as I really wanted to try my luck with a FF. Everything else that I've ever owned has been a crop and I'm still learning a lot about the way crops capture images vs FF, noise, FOV, and all of that stuff.

If I had the 60d, I can only think it would allow me a little ease when printing and I have an upcoming print that I need to make about 7ft wide. I know I can stitch shots from the 5d and while the file size seems huge, I've not experienced what it will really look like on canvas yet.

The 5d would probably be best paired with the 60d as my backup, but I got a local offer to trade on the 5d that I'm entertaining. It would leave me with the 60d and 40d if so.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 01, 2014 13:02 |  #8

modestglock26 wrote in post #17129620 (external link)
The 5d would probably be best paired with the 60d as my backup

That's a really good point. It should be quite doable, as 60Ds are very inexpensive now, and you can probably still get a couple hundred bucks for your 40D.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 01, 2014 15:45 |  #9

I have a 60d. I don't think it feels cheap at all. Maybe if you can get yor hands on one to test....

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 01, 2014 16:27 |  #10

Frodge wrote in post #17130000 (external link)
I have a 60d. I don't think it feels cheap at all. Maybe if you can get yor hands on one to test....

Can't find one near me at a store to try but maybe one will come floating my way. I have a hard time picturing it feeling cheap myself, but I think I would maybe notice a weight difference if it didn't have the same metal frame as the 40d.

sponsored links

1,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
To part with the 5c or not?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.