Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 12:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pole for real estate

rgs
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 30, 2014 12:45 |  #1

I'm putting together a pole for real estate photography. I expect that between 15' and 20'+ it might get a little hard to manage. I will probably get some weights for the bottom help but it also occurs to me that strapping it to a tripod leg or center column might be useful. Has anyone here ever tried that? Did it work well?

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
Hillbille
528 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 30, 2014 14:18 |  #2

There are a number of "pole" accessories for various uses - and - various cameras. Just a cursory search turned up a few links you might want to peruse:

http://www.polepixie.c​om/ (external link)

http://www.digitalcame​raworld.com …-your-feet-on-the-ground/ (external link)

http://www.propole.com​/propolesystem.htm (external link)

http://photographyforr​ealestate.net …e-aerial-photography-pap/ (external link)

and many more...

Most range from "PRO" purpose manufactured items to the cheapest Do It Yourself devices.

The ones that support a DSLR are fairly pricey though! The reason is that a DSLR is expensive - and placing it atop a pole of - say - 15 feet exponentially increases it's destruction should it fall from that height as opposed to you just dropping it from the height of your waist. Also as height is increased - the WEIGHT of any object at the TOP becomes a factor to deal with in even the lightest breeze - so just having a "weight" at the bottom of a pole might not be enough - an ample anchoring system would be better.

For real estate photos I would choose one of Canon's "S" series cameras as they are light weight and produce excellent photos, but YMMV, and if you want to use your DSLR then I would strongly suggest you do some trial and error with anything of a similar size and weight as your DSLR (with lens!) on any "pole" you choose and do this out in an open area WHEN the wind is blowing! That way you will get a good sense of what you have, what you need and how it will work.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

rgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 30, 2014 14:32 |  #3

Thanks. I have researched several sites and looked at some alternatives and done a good deal of reading. I plan to do lots of testing with dummy weight before actually using the pole. I've had good results (handheld) from a ladder and prefer that whenever possible. Although I have found several references to counterweights on the pole, I have not found anything about strapping the pole to a tripod. It seems that strapping a counter-weighted pole to a tripod center column could help in controlling the pole. It certainly wouldn't provide the sole support for the pole but it might help.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

Hillbille
528 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 30, 2014 14:55 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #4

Better would be anchoring the end of the pole in - say - the square opening in a pickup truck bed. It will not get out of there - or move unless you do the moving, AND it places your feet several feet off the ground too but is MUCH more stable than any ladder you might choose.

If you need something a little more portable and less bulky (to use in yards or areas that have no automobile access) think about a larger PVC pipe that can be anchored into the ground - either itself or by using stakes, or if there is a fence or other vertical object available you might be able to use a strap (tie wrap straps come in very large sizes!! LOL!)

Also if you need something REALLY portable you might look into getting yourself a flag carriers belt like this:

http://www.flagpro.com …ying-belt-web-single.html (external link)

That way you can just walk to where ever you need to be and then pretty much have good control of your pole base end without too much trouble.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 30, 2014 17:24 |  #5

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …er_High_Camera_​Stand.html (external link)

If you are serious shoot me an email.... I'll explain more....

I think that about 3 sections of this is high enough for most anything (about 15')... The key is the REMOTE TILT PAN head and the CAMRANGER to shoot it...

Poles FLEX, ALL of them do... PVC would tough to work with. Plus the weight of the camera on top makes a difference... Hold a 4 pound camera at the end of 20', that like 80 pounds.... I did a lot of thinking before I started using the system I do and it only cost about $2000,,,

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

Hillbille
528 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 30, 2014 19:16 as a reply to  @ P51Mstg's post |  #6

You didn't read the post did you?

PVC was NOT advocated as a pole, but was advised as a way to provide a stationary place to anchor a pole.

I'm sure you can sell something though... even if you can't read.

Hillbille

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,069 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 01, 2014 21:05 as a reply to  @ Hillbille's post |  #7

I've built a platform on top of my 4Runner SUV. That gets my camera 12 feet off the ground just by jumping up to the top of my vehicle, and provides a 4 x 5 foot area to move around. I can throw a camera bag up there and change lenses etc very easily.

I have a 16' telescoping painters pole that I have yet to set up as a camera stand, but having used it for other things, don't think I would ever strap it to a tripod. Ever. Even at 8-10 feet. I have a steel Matthews C Stand that, once weighted down with 20 pounds of ankle weights I would probably send a camera up on. I've used it a number of times at 6-8 feet with the camera carefully placed on a grip arm.

I think I would plan to keep the pole under my full control while shooting .

Here's a simple pole adapter http://www.kaceyenterp​rises.com/?page_id=447 (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Digitally_Altered
Goldmember
1,321 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 01, 2014 21:20 |  #8

I built one last year and have had very good success with it and also one very close call after getting a shot and backing down the pole when I stepped knee deep into an animals burrow. Not a good feeling thinking thousands of dollars worth of equipment could soon be smashed up as it's heading towards the ground.

5D mkIV, 2x)7D mkII, 500 f4L IS mkII, 100-400L IS mkII, 70-200 2.8L IS mkII, 24-70 2.8L mkII, 16-35 2.8L mkIII, 100 2.8L IS, 600EX-RT x4

gep01
248 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 01, 2014 21:37 |  #9

I'm using a 5m light stand (thats about 16') with a ball head mounted on top. The stand is rated up to 10kg so I'm quite confidant it will hold. On top of that I never let go of the stand with one hand while the other is holding the shutter remote. By positioning legs at the base correctly I can either lean the whole thing forward or tilt it back while firing off the shutter. Sure, it's doing it blind but the more I use it the quicker I get at getting the right composition.
I may upgrade to the camranger/remote head in the future, or just a drone :P

6d | 7d | 24-105 f4L | 16-35 f4L | Σ 17-50 f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 II | Σ 10-20mm f4-5.6 | 70-300mm f4-5.6L IS
Website (external link) | Travel Photography Blog (external link)
Facebook (external link)

rgs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 01, 2014 22:14 |  #10

Thanks to everyone. I have gotten a pole adapter from polepixie and I have a particular painter's pole that I have found recommended in mind. I appreciate the comment about strapping to a tripod. I am not thinking of using the tripod to support the pole, just to provide additional stability so I can possibly have one hand free. GEP01, where did you find the light stand? That's very interesting. I wish one of my cars would work with a room platform - that's a good idea that Ansel Adams made frequent use of. I am also considering on of the 4 section convertible ladder/scaffold systems that could get me up about 12 feet and fold up enough to fit in my car.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 02, 2014 00:31 |  #11

Hillbille.....

If your cute little reply was pointed at me.....

YES I read.... The original post.... I can read... I was a lawyer for 17 years.... I have 4 college degrees too... I'll bet I read a lot better than you can. You really need a lesson in tact.... (BTW before you make some crude "I didn't need to go to college" or "lawyers are idiots" line. I got out of law school at 28 and worked for the chairman of Fortune 10 corporation after my MBA before law school.... I retired 17 years later at age 45 and I can do anything I want now....)

On reading.. The original poster didn't say anything about having, needing to buy or using a pickup truck either. Your solution involved the use of a truck bed. Maybe you could simply suggest he do away with the whole pole system and simply buy an aerial platform lift???

Let me expand.

I make posts on this site where people who already have their minds made up, they aren't reading or care what I or anyone who doesn't tell them what they want to hear says. Problem is you can never tell which is which.

So I mentioned the stand I use, and before I go into detail on the remote controlled head and camranger I want to be sure someone is listening....

I'm not selling anything. I'm keeping what I have. It took a while to make it all work and I spent a lot more on it than someone would if I tell them what they do and don't need. It works great and is portable...

The statement that PVC pipe flexes is a GENERAL STATEMENT... Virtually everything flexes to some degree. A 20' piece of PVC, unless its schedule 40, will flex like a garden hose. Even metal pipes flex at this length. That stand flexes too. but there is a way to dampen it and work around it. There are also some really practical limits on how high you can get and the angles you can shoot at. But then I'm sure you know how all of that works.

Have a great day...

Mark H

BTW? Any chance you are from WV?? I lived there 25 years, met a lot of people who engage their mouths before their brains that came from there...

Too Much Camera Stuff......

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 02, 2014 01:27 |  #12

Nodal Ninja makes series 1, series 2, and series 3 poles and they each have differing lengths and footpads so you can keep the pole as stabilized as possible when you have your camera up anywhere between 10 to 30 feet in the air. They're a quality product option.

Hillbille
528 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 02, 2014 03:25 |  #13

P51Mstg wrote in post #17130810 (external link)
Hillbille.....

If your cute little reply was pointed at me.....

YES I read.... The original post.... I can read... I was a lawyer for 17 years.... I have 4 college degrees too... I'll bet I read a lot better than you can. You really need a lesson in tact.... (BTW before you make some crude "I didn't need to go to college" or "lawyers are idiots" line. I got out of law school at 28 and worked for the chairman of Fortune 10 corporation after my MBA before law school.... I retired 17 years later at age 45 and I can do anything I want now....)

On reading.. The original poster didn't say anything about having, needing to buy or using a pickup truck either. Your solution involved the use of a truck bed. Maybe you could simply suggest he do away with the whole pole system and simply buy an aerial platform lift???

Let me expand.

I make posts on this site where people who already have their minds made up, they aren't reading or care what I or anyone who doesn't tell them what they want to hear says. Problem is you can never tell which is which.

So I mentioned the stand I use, and before I go into detail on the remote controlled head and camranger I want to be sure someone is listening....

I'm not selling anything. I'm keeping what I have. It took a while to make it all work and I spent a lot more on it than someone would if I tell them what they do and don't need. It works great and is portable...

The statement that PVC pipe flexes is a GENERAL STATEMENT... Virtually everything flexes to some degree. A 20' piece of PVC, unless its schedule 40, will flex like a garden hose. Even metal pipes flex at this length. That stand flexes too. but there is a way to dampen it and work around it. There are also some really practical limits on how high you can get and the angles you can shoot at. But then I'm sure you know how all of that works.

Have a great day...

Mark H

BTW? Any chance you are from WV?? I lived there 25 years, met a lot of people who engage their mouths before their brains that came from there...

Hard to argue about a post that has been edited - now.

I hardly ever engage in shooting my mouth off before engaging my brain - if I did I would need to edit my posts - like you do.

With that outlook, I'm quite sure that the people of WV were happy to see you go.

Hillbille

gep01
248 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 02, 2014 04:49 |  #14

rgs wrote in post #17130693 (external link)
Thanks to everyone. I have gotten a pole adapter from polepixie and I have a particular painter's pole that I have found recommended in mind. I appreciate the comment about strapping to a tripod. I am not thinking of using the tripod to support the pole, just to provide additional stability so I can possibly have one hand free. GEP01, where did you find the light stand? That's very interesting. I wish one of my cars would work with a room platform - that's a good idea that Ansel Adams made frequent use of. I am also considering on of the 4 section convertible ladder/scaffold systems that could get me up about 12 feet and fold up enough to fit in my car.

I got it here in NZ, it's made by a company called Jinbei, this is it here (external link)
It appears it's 4.6M, not 5, sorry. Still, it's tall enough for me!

6d | 7d | 24-105 f4L | 16-35 f4L | Σ 17-50 f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 II | Σ 10-20mm f4-5.6 | 70-300mm f4-5.6L IS
Website (external link) | Travel Photography Blog (external link)
Facebook (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,394 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 02, 2014 12:34 |  #15

Nice to see we have resorted to name calling...Really?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,330 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pole for real estate
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.