Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 03:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do we all end up using Lightroom?

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 17, 2014 08:11 as a reply to  @ post 17101133 |  #196

When I updated LR 5.4 to 5.5, DPP would not recognize images uploaded by it. Had to go back to 5.4. Hopefully 5.6 fixes the problem, but I'm wary of updating again if it's not fixed, then having to download the older version again.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 17, 2014 08:53 |  #197

LV Moose wrote in post #17101152 (external link)
When I updated LR 5.4 to 5.5, DPP would not recognize images uploaded by it. Had to go back to 5.4. Hopefully 5.6 fixes the problem, but I'm wary of updating again if it's not fixed, then having to download the older version again.

Fixed.

Elie / אלי

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 17, 2014 08:54 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #198

^ Thanks. I'll update again, once I get my backlog taken care of, and backed-up

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 17, 2014 12:03 |  #199

DetlevCM wrote in post #17101038 (external link)
There are lot of reports of issues with Adobe software when new - check the web.
It is pretty much known that Adobe software when released is not fit for release and only becomes usable a few versions down the line.
My personal experience with Lightroom 4 was also abysmal - but 4.4.6 worked. - When I bought (wasted 60 pounds...) on their Lightroom 5.4 the experience wasn't any better - but 5.5 improved. ... I'd rather not know how the previous version worked.
Adobe's track record on Adobe Reader is also rather bad... they cleaned up their act once to start the same misery process again...
What is rather weird is how Adobe seems to get away with it...

As to spying: It is not common business practice in most of the world.
Its is also a very funny allegation when apparently the US government has to spy for their companies so that they can gain an unfair advantage for their products which would otherwise not sell... (see Snowden revelations...)

As to buy free software: Well, it exists - TeX is considered to be bug free. In the unlikely event that you find one (which you want) you should email the creator as he set out a reward for bugs.
Side note: TeX is free open source which is how it has become bug free - enough well versed users that have helped develop it.

Do you actually have anything new to contribute? You keep repeating the same platitudes over and over with just supposition and innuendo to support your beliefs. Yes, some users had problems with the early releases of LR4 - mostly related to computer deficiencies. I used it from the start on a Sony laptop, and later LR4.4 and LR5 on an Asus laptop, and never with a hint of a problem. Now I have LR5 on a Cybertron desktop with an AMD processor, again, running flawlessly.

That tells me that there was really nothing wrong with the code. In all cases I've had 16gb RAM, and I immediately reset the LR cache to 20gb in Preferences. That combo seems to be the best for getting the most out of the application. Those recommendations were made even before the release of LR4.1 and should be the first thing anyone does. If you don't have that much free space on your HDD, then your system will have trouble with more than just LR.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 17, 2014 16:26 |  #200

DetlevCM wrote in post #17101038 (external link)
There are lot of reports of issues with Adobe software when new - check the web.

There are also lots of reports of people having issues because they don't realize they need to plug in cables in their computer or that printers without paper seldom likes to print.

A big issue when looking at problem reports is that lost of clever people solves their problems and make use of their tools. While lots of less clever people get stuck with things they shouldn't get stuck with, and then creates a thread about bugs that aren't bugs.

In the end, it's really, really, really hard to figure out how many threads that are relevant and how many threads that should have the finger pointing at the thread creator and a number of "me too" posters for making incorrect assumptions.

As to spying: It is not common business practice in most of the world.
Its is also a very funny allegation when apparently the US government has to spy for their companies so that they can gain an unfair advantage for their products which would otherwise not sell... (see Snowden revelations...)

Industrial spionage is big.

But companies do keep track of each other in other ways too since their staff often visits the same fairs etc. So seller A tells an important customer about some great upcomming feature and the customer then asks seller B from a competing company if they have - or will have - something comparable.

As to buy free software: Well, it exists - TeX is considered to be bug free. In the unlikely event that you find one (which you want) you should email the creator as he set out a reward for bugs.
Side note: TeX is free open source which is how it has become bug free - enough well versed users that have helped develop it.

Bug free code is basically code that no one have invested enough time into looking closer at. If the code can do something useful, then it's likely to contain bugs.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 17, 2014 18:17 |  #201

pwm2 wrote in post #17101971 (external link)
Bug free code is basically code that no one have invested enough time into looking closer at. If the code can do something useful, then it's likely to contain bugs.

"Bug free code" is code that hasn't been run under enough conditions and environments. Claiming software doesn't contain bugs is like claiming that your car will never break down or need servicing. (I'm a professional software QA analyst.)

I've had very few issues with Adobe software. They have proved very reliable over the years for software of that size, complexity, and price.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2014 18:28 |  #202

I am getting away from LR. I always felt I spend too much time trying to get the right skin tones in it, and I hate the catalogs. I now process almost everything in Photo Ninja, do miss some brushes but my PP time decreased drastically and the results aren't worse.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

StarJack
618 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 23, 2014 04:12 |  #203

LV Moose wrote in post #17101209 (external link)
^ Thanks. I'll update again, once I get my backlog taken care of, and backed-up

I wish I could upgrade to 5.6. I've been on 5.4 for a while, and after being prompted repeatedly to upgrade to 5.5, then 5.6, I finally decided to give it a whirl. Funny thing is, lightroom takes me to a link that has 5.4. I played along and installed it, and the scenario repeats, a repeating loop if you will. I've tried several times to find 5.6 on the Adobe web site, and it keeps telling me "Page not found", and asks me to log in again. Several times now.

I've had the occasional issue with Lightroom but overall have been satisfied. The "customer experience" this last evening has been quite unsatisfactory. To top it off, I just got an e-mail welcoming me to creative cloud. I never, ever, in any way shape or form, signed up for creative cloud. :mad:

Regards,
Steve

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 23, 2014 05:45 |  #204

StarJack wrote in post #17112753 (external link)
To top it off, I just got an e-mail welcoming me to creative cloud. I never, ever, in any way shape or form, signed up for creative cloud. :mad:

I'd just like to welcome you to Creative Cloud.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …81/Simon_Gardne​r/wave.gif (external link)

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 23, 2014 08:31 |  #205

Download Links:

Lightroom 5.6:

Mac - http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=5822 (external link)

Win - http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=5823 (external link)

Elie / אלי

StarJack
618 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 23, 2014 21:50 |  #206

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #17112797 (external link)
I'd just like to welcome you to Creative Cloud.

[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

:lol:

Too funny! I managed to get 5.6 downloaded this AM without getting asked to sign in repeatedly. Installed without a problem and with limited use appears to be OK.

I did get another "Welcome" email. :roll:

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
618 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 23, 2014 21:53 |  #207

Thanks for posting those, they appear to be the same links I was using, but regardless of whether I was logged in, or logged out and tired, I was getting a page not found and then presented the login screen. Whatever it was, it appears to be working now. :cool:

Regards,
Steve

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 24, 2014 12:33 |  #208

I just downgraded from LR 5.6 to 5.5. I am experiencing some significant issues with 5.6 in which it locks up when importing images, and also when using the menu system such as right click, choose save metadata, the menu is transparent, then once my mouse hits it, it is there, however it remains painted on my screen. The last time I had log off and back on again to remove the menu. Never had these issues with 5.5. My computer is relatively new, with 8gb ram. If 5.6 requires more than 8gig of ram, I think I will just stay with 5.5. I didn't see any significant upgrades that would affect what I am using it for. So for now, I'm holding at 5.5. I know this can't just be happening to me, so I figured I would post it here for those who may experience the same thing.

Oh, and to stay on topic for the thread, I've used it for years, since it does everything I need it to do and more. It's intuitive, handles batch really well, and it just works...well up until now for me, but maybe I'm special!

feedback

gear list

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 31, 2014 13:54 |  #209

Not me, I tried it and hated it. Why process in Lightroom and then you have to go into Photoshop for other editing and special effects work you cannot do in Lightroom. Why use 2 softwares when you can do them all in one - just my idea anyway. I don't need Lightroom and will never go to it, doesn't impress me one bit.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 31, 2014 14:02 |  #210

Shooting wrote in post #17127996 (external link)
Not me, I tried it and hated it. Why process in Lightroom and then you have to go into Photoshop for other editing and special effects work you cannot do in Lightroom. Why use 2 softwares when you can do them all in one - just my idea anyway. I don't need Lightroom and will never go to it, doesn't impress me one bit.

But why not use Lightroom for content management then, and Photoshop for the editing? Because Lightroom is clearly better at content management than Photoshop is.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

54,946 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do we all end up using Lightroom?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.