Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 27 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

South Mineral Creek, Colorado

dixiedawn
240 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 27, 2014 23:11 |  #1

We took a little Colorado vacation, unfortunately we had rain much of the time so we were trying to keep the cameras dry. Worth anything as a picture, needs a lot of help, or just a nice snapshot for the memories ?

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5558/14661104487_e3269c715e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/okxZ​zz  (external link) South Mineral Creek (external link) by *dxd* (external link), on Flickr

debbie

sponsored links
Jon ­ Clemens
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 28, 2014 10:06 |  #2

I think it deserves more than just a place in your trip scrapbook to provide a tickle for your memories.

If you want to turn it into a 'work of art', you could probably tweek it a bit. I assume you are shooting in raw so you have more flexibility in making the photo more impactful. The composition is what makes the shot worth working on as it is the classic clockwise swirl. The tasks (in my subjective opinion) would be to darken the foreground slope on the right to keep the viewers eye from being attracted there; lighten and brighten the green in the valley a tad; lighten the orange rock formation and make it more saturated/contrasty; and use something like NIK Efex Pro to bring out just the clouds and make them more ominous.

When finished, the viewer would first be drawn to the center green foreground slope which you left lighter, then follow the road up the valley. Once at the end of the valley the viewer would scan the clouds and end up at the darker mountain on the right. Once there the eye would follow the slope down to the rock formation, and lastly give the overall image a final scan.

The result might not fetch many buyers on the open market, but could be considered for hanging on one of your walls.

Canon 7D | 400L | 70-200L | 24-105L | Tokina 11-16
jonclemensphotography.​com

TheInfamousGreedo
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 28, 2014 16:49 |  #3

Did you make it up to the ice lakes basin at all?

TJ Simon (external link)
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

dixiedawn
THREAD ­ STARTER
240 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 28, 2014 23:24 |  #4

Jon - thanks for taking a look and commenting. I'll see if I can do some of what you suggested, I'm still figuring out how to do things.

I really doubt I will ever take photos that anyone would buy. I'd just like them to at least be good enough that other people can enjoy them, not just me or my family / friends.

TheInfamousGreedo wrote in post #17123304 (external link)
Did you make it up to the ice lakes basin at all?

We drove up to Clear Lake, didn't stay long as it was very windy and starting to rain again. The Ice Lakes basin is reached via a hiking trail that starts off from that road, right ?

debbie

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 30, 2014 23:28 |  #5

This is one of the moods of the place and you show it for what it is and how you felt it.
+1 for Jon's ideas.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 31, 2014 19:52 |  #6

I font see a creek in this image.

TheInfamousGreedo
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 31, 2014 21:04 |  #7

dixiedawn wrote in post #17123833 (external link)
We drove up to Clear Lake, didn't stay long as it was very windy and starting to rain again. The Ice Lakes basin is reached via a hiking trail that starts off from that road, right ?

The trailhead starts at the campground before you turn and head up to Clear Lake.

I still haven't been up to any of those lakes; when I was in the area it was May and everything was still buried under a few feet of snow.

TJ Simon (external link)
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

dixiedawn
THREAD ­ STARTER
240 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 31, 2014 22:46 |  #8

tmcman wrote in post #17127191 (external link)
This is one of the moods of the place and you show it for what it is and how you felt it.
+1 for Jon's ideas.

Thank you.

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17128511 (external link)
I font see a creek in this image.

oops. The creek is actually South Fork of Mineral Creek. It's down in the valley bottom to the left of the road. I can't find the name of the valley on any of my maps - in CO it seems many of them are something Gulch. I title my photos with location names, so my family and friends will know where they are.

TheInfamousGreedo wrote in post #17128596 (external link)
The trailhead starts at the campground before you turn and head up to Clear Lake.

I still haven't been up to any of those lakes; when I was in the area it was May and everything was still buried under a few feet of snow.

There is a very popular trailhead in one of the first switchbacks on the way to Clear Lake, it was packed with cars. I thought that might be the Ice Lakes trail.

debbie

sponsored links

1,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
South Mineral Creek, Colorado
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.