Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 21 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Farm wedding wheat field

Pixil ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 21, 2014 17:16 |  #1

Ive been waiting to get that iconic bride and groom in the wheat field for ever. The chance comes along and I kinda feel like I dropped the ball. I mean im still happy with the shot just seems like it could be better.

IMAGE: http://www.pixilstudio.com/weddings/longmeadow-event-center-wedding/content/images/large/2014-wedding-longmeadow-752.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.pixilstudio.com/weddings/longmeadow-event-center-wedding/content/images/large/2014-wedding-longmeadow-737.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.pixilstudio.com/weddings/longmeadow-event-center-wedding/content/images/large/2014-wedding-longmeadow-1370.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.pixilstudio.com/weddings/longmeadow-event-center-wedding/content/images/large/2014-wedding-longmeadow-695.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.pixilstudio.com/weddings/longmeadow-event-center-wedding/content/images/large/2014-wedding-longmeadow-058.jpg

you can see more from this wedding here Colorado Farm Wedding (external link)
and my site here
Pixil studio -photographer (external link)

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment (good or bad)

Denver wedding and event photographer (external link)
My photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 21, 2014 23:47 |  #2

I wouldnt say you dropped the ball. I dig the shot. I'm not crazy about the pose... but its still a good photo. I also might have gone tighter and then wider. Set the scene with a wide angle photo including the sky... and then nail some emotion with a tight portrait.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

Jill ­ Kelly
62 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 22, 2014 08:20 |  #3

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #17110661 (external link)
I wouldnt say you dropped the ball. I dig the shot. I'm not crazy about the pose... but its still a good photo. I also might have gone tighter and then wider. Set the scene with a wide angle photo including the sky... and then nail some emotion with a tight portrait.

Great advice! I'm going to remember it for myself. I have a tendency towards tight shots and always forget to shoot wide every now and again!

But I agree that these field shots don't look like the ball has been dropped. :)

www.jillianjoseph.com (external link)

cliousa
43 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 27, 2014 14:07 |  #4

You did excellent wedding photographs my friends. Your photography skills are great. The colors are stunning and compositions are well thought and executed. No hard shadows or underexposed faces. Everything is well controlled and very pleasing to look at.

Wish you captured more from the wedding ceremony and reception and more action shots. All look very poses and static and we all know what the weddings are all about. Non-stop action and the wedding photographs should record and communicate this later. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

--
Trifon Anguelov
Wedding and Portrait Photographer in Mountain View, CA
http://www.weddingphot​ographyblogger.com (external link)

Pixil ­ Studio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 27, 2014 14:15 |  #5

thanks guys
trent and jill
a step ladder would have fixed my problem moving the hz line up and making it feel more endless, and yes some close ups real tight would be nice too, which I do have just not in the wheat field

thanks cliousa
I do have more from the ceremony and reception but usually post what new clients are looking for in their inspiration. Such as the details, colors schemes and venue highlights

chocolatekara
286 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Aug 28, 2014 02:45 |  #6

Hi! I think they're great shots :) I was only going to agree with what others have said. I feel like if that was me who took those photos in the field, I would have got down lower, added more sky, cause it sort of looks like we're looking down on them :)

Really pretty though, !

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 28, 2014 09:52 |  #7

Technically the images are fine. You have a tendency to place the subject in the middle of the frame. (Looked on your website to confirm.) That often leads to a picture with less visual dynamic than one with more thoughtful composition.
The wheat field pictures composition is further compromised by having the horizon line so close to the top of the frame.

One Man's View

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 01, 2014 10:45 |  #8

chocolatekara wrote in post #17122154 (external link)
Hi! I think they're great shots :) I was only going to agree with what others have said. I feel like if that was me who took those photos in the field, I would have got down lower, added more sky, cause it sort of looks like we're looking down on them :)

Really pretty though, !

Adding the sky wouldn't add anything to the photo, only brighter highlights. Looking down is often recommended for portraits, especially better than looking upwards. Looking down allows more of the ground, here, to be visible and add to the image rather than just a thin section of wheat field.

sayn3ver
99 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 01, 2014 22:54 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #9

It's a nice shot. I'd imagine the time of day or lack of cloud probably is playing a bigger role. When you think of those shots I always picture a wide angle capturing a lot of sky and ground cover. Without the right light and cloud cover you end up with just a lot of bright mono tone.

Nothing you had control since it is mostly nature not to mention the coverage was probably on a predetermined schedule.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 01, 2014 23:00 |  #10

chocolatekara wrote in post #17122154 (external link)

Really pretty though, !

I agree with this. I would have been sitting on my butt or even laying face down on the ground.

Pixil ­ Studio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 01, 2014 23:18 |  #11

You guys are crazy I took the shot and I'm telling you I was too low. The field is actually endless and would look cool that way the sky was white and boring but each to thier own I guess

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 01, 2014 23:38 |  #12

Pixil Studio wrote in post #17130746 (external link)
You guys are crazy I took the shot and I'm telling you I was too low. The field is actually endless and would look cool that way the sky was white and boring but each to thier own I guess

Fair enough but in the end as long as the clients liked it then thats all that matters.

I am more partial to this kind of style, maybe even a little lower.

I could not find anything in the FAQ if it was ok to post a link to another photographers work but I am stating right now the following is not my work nor do I claim it to be.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/8193732@N07/772​2922056 (external link)

Pixil ­ Studio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 01, 2014 23:48 |  #13

the flying moose wrote in post #17130763 (external link)
Fair enough but in the end as long as the clients liked it then thats all that matters.

I am more partial to this kind of style, maybe even a little lower.

I could not find anything in the FAQ if it was ok to post a link to another photographers work but I am stating right now the following is not my work nor do I claim it to be.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/8193732@N07/772​2922056 (external link)

2 things "as long as the clients liked it then thats all that matters. "
this statement is a bull sh*t statement. clients like all kinds of crap. They are not necessarily trained to critique pics. not to say that mine is crap. but when people on here use that as some kind of defense it really rubs me wrong.

second thing http://www.flickr.com/​photos/8193732@N07/772​2922056 (external link)
is a great pic with incredible lighting. maybe one day. and as a professional photographer i can say that that is a great pic

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 01, 2014 23:53 |  #14

Pixil Studio wrote in post #17130768 (external link)
2 things "as long as the clients liked it then thats all that matters. "
this statement is a bull sh*t statement. clients like all kinds of crap. They are not necessarily trained to critique pics. not to say that mine is crap. but when people on here use that as some kind of defense it really rubs me wrong.

second thing http://www.flickr.com/​photos/8193732@N07/772​2922056 (external link)
is a great pic with incredible lighting. maybe one day. and as a professional photographer i can say that that is a great pic

I wasn't meaning to use it as a defense. I meant it simply as its not my style but I am not the one paying for your services. I was not and am not making a comment on the quality of the photo at all. I was simply making a comment on style I liked and it was not a shot at you or your photo.

Pixil ­ Studio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 01, 2014 23:59 |  #15

the flying moose wrote in post #17130771 (external link)
I wasn't meaning to use it as a defense. I meant it simply as its not my style but I am not the one paying for your services. I was not and am not making a comment on the quality of the photo at all. I was simply making a comment on style I liked and it was not a shot at you or your photo.

no offense taken and i didnt think you were taking a shot at my pic. its just the phrase i have a problem with and that others use it as a defense.
at the end of the day i post here to get better and hear what people have to say.
since i am being paid i hope the client is happy with every pic. but like i said just because a client like something doesnt mean i can't always do better.

sponsored links

6,227 views & 0 likes for this thread
Farm wedding wheat field
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.