Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 05 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 2.8 vs 4IS for soccer

canonphotog
796 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 12, 2014 14:20 |  #16

Agustin.Reyes wrote in post #17086849 (external link)
Is the Canon 1D MK III a +1 in everything from the 1D MKII N? (for sports)

The 1DmkIIn is a great sports body. It doesn't fail to get the job done. But like all technology that has been superceded, it can't keep up with the newer technology when that newer technology has been designed to surpass it (unless you never utilize it in a situation where the newer technology has the advantage).

To answer your question regarding the mkIII being +1 in everything from the mkIIn; That would be a solid YES!.

Keeping the same crop factor (APS-H sensor) you jump from 8 to 10 megapixels giving you a bit more cropping range. Not essential, but usually beneficial.

Battery technology changed from NiMH to Li-ion. I've been able to take over 11k images on a single charge. Average on the mkIV is 6000. Average on the mkIII over time has been less than 11k per charge.

Menus and Menu selections: The mkIII has many more options in its menus and does not require you to press two buttons at a time to make changes to major settings. The 1D, 1Ds, 1DII, 1DIIn and 1DsII share this two button to change settings requirement.

I still use my mkIII right alongside my mkIV's and reserve the 1DmkIIN for outdoor daytime events. I would shoot with it at night under the lights if I had to, but am thankful I don't have to.

Your highest ISO on the MK III is 6400 and only available if you've set C.fn I-3 to allow it.

If you pick up a 1DmkIII you'll definitely enjoy it.

-Ken
Gear List|Kenny D. Photography (external link)

sponsored links
ChrisJC
54 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2014 15:37 |  #17

Get the 70-200 2.8. There is no substitute for 2.8. It is plenty sharp and the go-to lens of many pros.

The mkII's AF was a bit more accurate IMO, but in every other department, the MkIII is significantly better.

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 27, 2014 04:34 |  #18

I have recently been signed up to shoot top flight soccer (football) in Scotland. One of the first questions I got asked was whether I was going to swap out my f/4 IS for a 2.8 and I asked why. The response was that the f/4 IS doesn't let enough light in for the coming darker months even during the day and that the AF sensor struggles with AF tracking at f/4 losing the vital extra sensitive AF points.

Apparently image sales come easier if you are able to separate your players from the background too. I only just got my f/4 about two weeks ago and already I'm looking to punt it.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 27, 2014 14:30 |  #19

Paulstw wrote in post #17120292 (external link)
I have recently been signed up to shoot top flight soccer (football) in Scotland. One of the first questions I got asked was whether I was going to swap out my f/4 IS for a 2.8 and I asked why. The response was that the f/4 IS doesn't let enough light in for the coming darker months even during the day and that the AF sensor struggles with AF tracking at f/4 losing the vital extra sensitive AF points.

Apparently image sales come easier if you are able to separate your players from the background too. I only just got my f/4 about two weeks ago and already I'm looking to punt it.

It is always that way if you don't get what you need right away. I bought my 17-40 as my first L lens and then for tele, I got the 70-200 f4, which I loved and it wasn't that much money. But right after I got both those lenses, I realized that I needed the 2.8 IS bad for pro work. I went straight to the 70-200 2.8 IS for events because the f4 just can't keep up with the lighting. Some chapels I shoot at, flash is not allowed at all.

Save and get what you need. Makes life a lot easier.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 27, 2014 16:20 |  #20

SuzyView wrote in post #17121150 (external link)
It is always that way if you don't get what you need right away. I bought my 17-40 as my first L lens and then for tele, I got the 70-200 f4, which I loved and it wasn't that much money. But right after I got both those lenses, I realized that I needed the 2.8 IS bad for pro work. I went straight to the 70-200 2.8 IS for events because the f4 just can't keep up with the lighting. Some chapels I shoot at, flash is not allowed at all.

Save and get what you need. Makes life a lot easier.

Just sucks when you're talking about the price of eight or nine f/4 lenses. I can get budget for huge purchases in my family, but it's pretty tough to make a case for a purchase that would otherwise greatly boost our college savings.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 27, 2014 16:56 |  #21

Ain't that the truth? I had to stop buying cameras and glass lately that really didn't make any sense if I'm not shooting pro all the time. I was going to sell everything and get the 5DIII and the 24-70 II, but in truth, my gear is pretty decent already, and I've got 2 sons getting ready for college.

My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 28, 2014 04:40 |  #22

I was asked recently to shoot professional Football (soccer) in Scotland. A chance of a lifetime. It was alos mentioned to me that I'd likely need a 400 2.8 and have to switch out all my stuff for 2.8 lenses and get another body.

The saying that you have to speculate to accumulate is certainly prevalent in photography. All we ever do is buy high end gear to get better shots at bigger jobs, and then once in the job, you're expected to sell your images for buttons cause all you did was click a button lol

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 28, 2014 07:54 |  #23

Yes, that is so true. But I have friends who see me with all my stuff, and they know the cost, and they buy the consumer level and think they should be able to get almost as good coverage of their daughter's gymnastics as I get. It's all about the skill and the gear. I guess if you get 1/20 good shots versus my 1/3, and you're happy with it, more power to you. I can't afford to miss that often. But it is true that people don't think it's that hard to do what we do.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,930 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 29, 2014 06:48 |  #24

SuzyView wrote in post #17122388 (external link)
But it is true that people don't think it's that hard to do what we do.

Yupe, yupe, yupe, until they try.

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 01, 2014 10:41 |  #25

Paulstw wrote in post #17122226 (external link)
I was asked recently to shoot professional Football (soccer) in Scotland. A chance of a lifetime. It was alos mentioned to me that I'd likely need a 400 2.8 and have to switch out all my stuff for 2.8 lenses and get another body.

The saying that you have to speculate to accumulate is certainly prevalent in photography. All we ever do is buy high end gear to get better shots at bigger jobs, and then once in the job, you're expected to sell your images for buttons cause all you did was click a button lol

Rent a 400mm. Get some practice before the game with it. Cheaper than buying.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 01, 2014 10:49 |  #26

Definitely go for the f/2.8 lens over IS. At 1/500, the minimum shutter speed I would recommend for sports, you should be able to easily handhold a 70-200mm lens without camera shake, making IS redundant. Lens sharpness isn't critical for your purposes, but inadequate shutter speed or missed focus will ruin your photos.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 01, 2014 15:05 |  #27

Sibil wrote in post #17124125 (external link)
Yupe, yupe, yupe, until they try.

I had a swim team mom who didn't sign her kids up for my action shot sessions. Instead, she attended the sessions, watched what I did (lay on the deck and shoot fly and breaststroke coming toward me). So she's laying in another lane with her iPhone taking shots of her kids. After about 5 laps, she borrows a point-and-shoot that her friend had. After another 5 laps of trying, she came over and asked if I could squeeze her kids into the schedule.

"Absolutely! Your daughters are all warmed up and will look strong." :cool:

I do appreciate her DIY attitude though. That's how I got started. I discussed with her some more detail of what I was doing, and she asked some equipment questions. Maybe she'll move that direction. The more the merrier.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

rholly
44 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 02, 2014 16:49 |  #28

SuzyView wrote in post #17122388 (external link)
But it is true that people don't think it's that hard to do what we do.

I summarize this to friends as "The cost of equipment needed to capture a shot increases as the speed of the subject increases and/or lack of light." You could add a comment about zoom in there but most see that as obvious.

70-200 f/2.8 Non-IS is a no-brainer.

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 08, 2014 23:27 |  #29

OP: your gear list already shows a Tamron 70-200 2.8, is something wrong with that lens?
You state that you are going to shoot night soccer, why? Are you going to make lots of money in this endeavor to pay for an expensive lens?

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 08, 2014 23:55 |  #30

I have both 70-200 f2.8L IS and 70-200 f4L (non-IS). I use the latter MUCH more, especially for soccer. The f2.8 theoretically focuses better due to more light (even if you're setting it at f4 or above) but its just a lot to tote around.

So many people get the 70-200 f2.8 and simply don't use it that much because it's such a beast.

Since your games are at night though; it's probably worth getting the f2.8.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

sponsored links

7,028 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 2.8 vs 4IS for soccer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.