Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Jul 2014 (Friday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

eos-m 55-200

speedync
Goldmember
1,530 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 21, 2014 01:17 |  #31

clacson wrote in post #17108794 (external link)
If you have only EOS M and EOS full frame, there is no sense to buy EF-S lenses. Then you buy real EF lenses for FF and EF-M lenses for M.

Absolutely. And the bonus is, the M lenses focus faster than the USM & STM EF & EF-S lenses that I've tried on mine, & that's with the Canon adapter. All win as far as I can see.

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,376 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 21, 2014 01:41 |  #32

speedync wrote in post #17108827 (external link)
Absolutely. And the bonus is, the M lenses focus faster than the USM & STM EF & EF-S lenses that I've tried on mine, & that's with the Canon adapter. All win as far as I can see.

you think a EF-M 22mm will focus faster on the eos-m than a USM lens on a body like a 7D/70D?...there may be something wrong with mine then...cause speed is definitely not it's strong suit...

i'm pretty sure malveaux doesn't just have FF, and M, i think there's a crop body in there

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

speedync
Goldmember
1,530 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 21, 2014 04:12 |  #33

DreDaze wrote in post #17108842 (external link)
you think a EF-M 22mm will focus faster on the eos-m than a USM lens on a body like a 7D/70D?...

I didn't say that. What may have been misconstrued, is that a native M lens will faster quicker on an M body, than an EF or EF-S USM or STM lens via an adapter on an M body. In my experience.
Forgive me for being a little vociferous, when people complain about slow unusable AF, when they can't even be bothered to buy native lenses for the system, and only use the acknowledged slowest focusing lens in the system. That is all.
You are correct. Speed is not its forte. Never said it was. It is however, far far from unusable.

kpritts
329 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 01, 2014 21:26 as a reply to  @ speedync's post |  #34

So I have been back and forth. I tend to buy and sell both camera bodies and various lenses as my needs/styles change.

I had an EOS M and became frustrated due to lack of lens ranges at the time. Why? I was trying to make it work like my 1D Mark IV and use the same lenses. Sold it all and missed it. I agree with the point that a native lens will always work better.

Also it is useful to use the right tool for the right job. I do not use my 5D Mark II for sports--tried it and became frustrated and sold it. I did however repurchase one for portraits and swear by it for that role.

I have an SL1 (with the plan that it would replace the M system) and generally like it but still felt like it was bulky compared to my former EOS M. So I purchased an M with the 22mm lens. Then I realized that my use was primarily travel, landscape, and general street photography. It is the perfect system to always have in the vehicle. Picked up a new 90ex flash for $45 and a low priced authentic Canon EF adapter. I find the 11-22 to be small, portable and a fantastic lens. Basically, I will likely sell the adapter since I have the 22, 18-55, 11-22 and the 55-200 is on order. Expensive? Yes. I believe it getting the right tools for the right purpose. The M is the ideal system for my intended purposes.

The SL1? It looks like I will gift it to my niece at some point who has taken a strong interest in photography (and uses it more than I do anyway).

Each to their own. I am sure the flames will begin but for me, the M system fits my needs for travel, etc. The 5D Mark II is for portraits and the 1D Mark IV for sports. The M will also be on sports but for crowd scenes, sidelines, etc..

I am fortunate to have built my collection over many years but it contains what I use on a regular basis for specific purposes. I truly appreciate all of the thoughts and input here. It, along with a lot of other research, has been incredibly helpful in my decision making process. POTN itself is a great resource.

KDPritts Photography (http://kdpritts.com (external link))
Canon 1D Mark IV, 60D; Canon EF 16-35L II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8L II, 100 f2.8L macro, 100-400L, 300 f2.8L; Canon 1.4x III extender; Travel Kit: EOS M2, 11-22, 18-55, 22, 55-200.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,740 posts
Gallery: 1976 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 01, 2014 21:42 |  #35

DreDaze wrote in post #17108842 (external link)
you think a EF-M 22mm will focus faster on the eos-m than a USM lens on a body like a 7D/70D?...there may be something wrong with mine then...cause speed is definitely not it's strong suit...

i'm pretty sure malveaux doesn't just have FF, and M, i think there's a crop body in there

Heya,

Yeap... several cameras, full frame, several APS-C's, and the EOS-M.

The EOS-M is by far the slowest AF system. The EOS-M lenses are not fast either. They're not USM. Also, a USM lens on the EOS-M still focuses faster than the EOS-M lenses. I used my 85 F1.8 with a generic fotodiox adapter on the EOS-M, and it still focused much faster than the 22 F2 pancake for the EOS-M did. EOS-M lenses are about as fast as non-USM lenses. They are fast enough for general purpose, but still slow. USM is simply faster. Even on the `M with an adapter. I did notice heavier, bigger USM telephotos were slow on the EOS-M too. But the smaller USM primes are snappy on the EOS-M. I only did it as a test. I use the 22mm on the EOS-M 99% of the time otherwise. And I find I use the EOS-M more and more, it has easily surpassed my other cameras for overall usage, simply because it's smaller, goes every where, is less obtrusive, and does the day to day stuff that I don't want to lug a big SLR around for (kid, outside, landscape, general walk around, travel, etc). I drag out my full frame for portrait. And my APS-C's for macro/wildlife and some secondary landscape, etc.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

kanadary
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 02, 2014 13:48 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #36

update on the purchase from digital rev.. the shipping was super fast as i stated earlier, but i just got a bill from dhl about the customs and duties cost, it wasn't alot, only $15 but that and the charge in my foreign exchange it all adds up to be more expensive then ordering from the canadian supplier. keep in mind that i live 2.5 hrs hours from the border and have family in vancouver so i would have been able to get it without customs or duties. as for pics, i'll have to ask my daughter to download some when she used it at the grand canyon last week.

sponsored links

9,746 views & 0 likes for this thread
eos-m 55-200
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.