Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Aug 2014 (Monday) 19:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #499 Creative effects - processed in camera only

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 01, 2014 15:16 |  #16

Wow, thanks for the nod, Needsnow! Congrats to OhLook and Trumper on some great photos. I really liked all the entries this week, it must have been fun to judge. Thanks for the great challenge, Needsnow.

Hemang....beautiful! Cookie555.... that's a calendar shot. I love the colors in both those pix.

This challenge made me take the G1X out and try something different. I sat in the back of my pickup and took about 40 shots. Probably 85% were too shaky or too poorly timed to bother with. However, the fireworks scene mode took the pain out of exposure. I just concentrated on timing, aim and holding as steady as I could. It's fun to attempt something new! Very enjoyable!

I'll try to have a new challenge up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Steve

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,084 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 01, 2014 16:03 |  #17

Congratulations to Spoco and Trumper for your wins and to some others for marvelous images. Needsnow, thanks for proposing this unusual topic. The eye is my husband's. I wanted to see what strange effect could be pulled out of these offbeat shooting modes, what their potential was. We went outside for some eye shots. It was late afternoon, but the sun was still bright. With the special-effects modes, you can't choose anything, not even the focus point; except for the chosen effect, you're in Auto. Because the G15 overexposes when left to itself, much of the picture is white: a lot of it was blown.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Cookie555
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 01, 2014 17:37 |  #18

Great challenge Needsnow, it certainly made me try all the different scene modes.
Thanks for the kind comments Spoco57, my entry was also taken from my van as the weather was not playing ball.

Bring on #500

Wayne

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 01, 2014 18:36 as a reply to  @ Cookie555's post |  #19

Congrats to Spoco and runners up!

An interesting challenge which made me realize the limitations of shooting in these special modes. I usually shoot RAW in AV or Manual and found it most frustrating that I had absolutely no control over the ISO or anything else when taking my "backflip" shot in "Super Vivid".

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,255 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 01, 2014 21:10 |  #20

Congrats to Spoco, OhLook & Trumper. I felt the same as teekay; mine was shot on Vivid & actually was the only shot I took that I liked a little bit. Interesting challenge (but I won't ever do that again ;)) Thanks, Needsnow.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 01, 2014 21:48 |  #21

Congratulations Spoco57, Nice picture. Hosting challenge #500 sounds as an special occasion to me :) .
Congratulations to OhLook, Trumper and the other participants, nice shots all.

I think it is the first time that I use the Pro1 in camera Photo Effects in ten years. To use the effects, you cannot select RAW and they are not available in AUTO.
The Pro1 is a ten years old camera, and the effects are limited: Sepia, BW, Custom Effect. There are also Vivid, Neutral and Low Sharpening, but the last three are in fact subsets of Custom Effect.

I set the camera in Sepia for my picture. I must confess that I failed a bit in the composition and exposure. The original aspect ratio of 4:3 was not the best for the subject either.
Below a comparison of the posted picture with a similar photo shot in RAW, cropped to 3:2 and changed to Sepia in Photoshop.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/499_IMG_1293-96_960.jpg

Needsnow wrote in post #17117532 (external link)
... Your photo looks like a photo from time gone by ...

Yes, thank you. That was the idea. The choza (hut?) is a recreation of ancient shelters (2500 years) found in Rumipamba a now protected archeological site. Both the original ruins and the recreation are pretty close to my home (700 meters).

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

hemang
105 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 01, 2014 22:14 |  #22

Congrats to all the winners and all the entries. superb pics by everyone

Posted from Photography-on-the.net App for Android

===============
Proud owner of the G1X
===============

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,566 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 01, 2014 22:17 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #23

I had to read the manual to see what Scene Modes G11 has. I was also frustrated by the lack of any cotrol, especially for long exposure shots I was trying to capture. Oh well. Looking forward to the next challenge.

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 02, 2014 06:52 |  #24

Rafael, concerning #500..... I had intended to make a long windy speech thanking the longsuffering crew that have kept this thing going for 500 challenges, but after rethinking I figured I'd better wait til after the challenge closed.

Everyone should feel free to throw in a note with a few (or more) thoughts or memories or whatever. As a relative newbie, I would rather defer the #500 challenge to somebody who's been here from the start, but I'll simply make it open for everyone to chime in.

Steve

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 02, 2014 11:21 |  #25

Spoco57 wrote in post #17131055 (external link)
....Everyone should feel free to throw in a note with a few (or more) thoughts or memories or whatever....

Quite amazing that we have lasted for 500 challenges without a missed week as far as I know. I guess I'm the oldest regular here, having joined POTN in 2001 just after it started, and entered G challenge #2 way back in February 2005. I actually won that challenge and thought "Oh, this is easy!", but soon found out there were other photographers who consistently entered much better images than mine.

The challenges are a great way to learn, including realizing that very often people have totally different views on what makes the winning shot, so if you have an entry that you are really proud of that doesn't even place, don't feel bad or give up - just keep entering!

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 02, 2014 13:59 |  #26

Congrats Spoco, OhLook and Trumper!
Thanks, Needsnow, for a very interesting and enlightening contest. Made me try things with this camera that I probably never would have. And, like Maureen, I probably never will again :-)
Not a big fan of Vivid for sure. But I have to admit it was fun trying to find something worth entering.

Trumper
962 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 02, 2014 14:38 as a reply to  @ Raven's post |  #27

I have to say having seen the quality of ALL the photos i am gobsmacked by being placed 3 rd --Thank you.I never normally use the special effects in the camera or even post processing [I still use the canon dpp and just crop or sharpen] so using the in camera settings has been fun. :)
Well done everyone--it makes you think/learn more when you have to use the camera and not just point and shoot.
The main thing is it is FUN ,FUN ,FUN :)

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 05, 2014 19:07 as a reply to  @ Trumper's post |  #28

: )
Congratulations to the winner Spoco
and to OhLook and Trumper smashing photos , along with everyone's lovely and interesting pictures
:)
Many thanks to Needsnow for hosting the challenge

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

sponsored links

6,106 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #499 Creative effects - processed in camera only
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.