Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 17:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is my new 70D bad or is this normal?

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,698 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 17, 2014 20:24 |  #16

kjonnnn wrote in post #17102291 (external link)
Why, since wide open is the LEAST sharp aperture in most instances. You're doing a test at the len's most vulnerable aperture wide open. Make more sense to test a lens at or near its "sweet spot."

you're not really looking to make the test shots sharp, you're looking to find wether the cameras' recorded plane of focus is positionally accurate, in relation to the test target.

It's a whole heap easier to spot a very thin plane being front or back from where it should be...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links
Jurie ­ Venter
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 25, 2014 00:45 |  #17

Hi. Have the same problem and one of the reasons for joining this forum. This is a sign of more to come. I bought my D70 +/- 8 months ago and were very happy with it. In March I started to notice focus problems re: slightly blurred images. Phoned my canon supplier and had a chat with them. Suggested that I try different ways to hold my camera and check my lenses. Been taking photo's for 20 years so a bit of a "cheek". Three weeks later the AF packed up during a shoot. If I changed between the focus points using the small button behind the shutter button the view finder turned red and no focus achieved. In live view not a problem. Took the body in (travelled +/-250km) to the agent. After various phone calls and 4 weeks later had it back. The AF unit were replaced. All went well for 3 weeks and during a prize giving shoot it packed up again. Needless to say it is back with canon and I'm awaiting the outcome. Never had any problems with my other canon body's but must say I'm quite dissipointed how the are handeling the matter.

D70 / 2 * D550 /D350 /Pentax P30N
Various Canon lenses

Jurie ­ Venter
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 25, 2014 01:23 |  #18

Have a look at: Default Re: Attn 70D Owners: Have you had Focus Issues?

D70 / 2 * D550 /D350 /Pentax P30N
Various Canon lenses

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,754 posts
Gallery: 293 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 25, 2014 10:20 |  #19

I used a car number plate when I tested my 70D out (for the second time...) Simply took one shoot using live view then defocused and took a few using the viewfinder & centre point defocusing between each shot. Lastly repeated the test using any other AF point. All on tripod at F/1.8 on a 85mm F/1.8 using 10 second timer from about 20 feet. Never moved the camera between any shot. That was enough to show the issue and they replaced my 70D new.

You should see a clear difference between the VF centre point and any other point as well as the highly accurate and very fast LV on the 70D. Also you might note quite some difference between the VF centre point accuracy. Good Luck.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 25, 2014 11:27 |  #20

How long ago did you get the 70D? There are some copies with an issue with the center point.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Kent ­ Clark
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 25, 2014 17:51 |  #21

I got it in early July, but as I wrote in the OP, I soon discovered I had a lens problem. So I didn't really start using the camera until the first of August when I went on vacation for 2 weeks. When I started going over my photos after I got home I started noticing the focus problems. I'm contacting Canon about this. Thanks to everyone for thoughts, experiences and opinions.

Kent ­ Clark
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2014 09:40 |  #22

Well, I sent the photos to Canon and here is the response I get:

We appreciate your continued correspondence.

Of the images you sent, all but the 19-pt AF seems to be as accurate as I would expect. However, this particular example I can understand. The camera is actually choosing to use all 19 points to determine the right place to focus in this example. Also, trying to focus such a broad area of a white piece of paper with lines on it against a white background can confuse the focusing system in the camera. These sorts of tests are not guaranteed to work properly and real world shooting conditions are always the better way to determine how the camera is really performing. There are times when letting the camera try to choose from all 19 points can reduce accuracy, so choosing to focus on a single point in this case was the best decision.

AF (Auto Focus) can fail to achieve correct focus on certain subjects such as the following:

Low-contrast subjects. (ex. blue sky, solid-color walls)
Subjects in low light.
Extremely backlit reflective subjects. (ex. car with a reflective body)
Overlapping near and far objects. (ex. animal in a cage)
Subjects with repeating patterns
Competing objects and distances
Thin lines

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you for choosing Canon.

I find the whole response unacceptable. He somehow thinks the center zone AF is "what he would expect" yet the 19 point AF is not, and yet both are equally as fuzzy. He rationalizes the poor 19 point AF performance by saying that it was using all 19 points, but all 19 points were in the same plane so how does that explain anything? I especially find his reminder that "real world shooting conditions are always the better way to determine how the camera is really performing" to be annoying. As I reminded him in my reply, it was precisely real world shooting conditions that started me on this in the first place. I have family photos from vacation, shot in good light on a tripod, that had such poor focus I immediately noticed it when I was processing them. I have photos from previous years, same conditions, same location, same lens, shot on my old 30D that are better.

But what can I do now?

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,754 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 02, 2014 12:07 |  #23

Ouch...

Better explain your process bit better to him so. The 70D focus issue is well logged by Canon now. I've been through it and happily out the other side.

What test or how did you do the images you submitted?

The first time mine went in, I just explained that there was an issue with the AF centre point not focusing as well as the other ones. It came back 'fixed'. So after I shot with it during wedding the problem was still there. I took a more I'm in charge approach the second time by supplying detailed shots of the problem and clearly explaining the exact issue. They came back with, 'we might have a firmware fix soon that might fix this issue' email. My dealer wend a bit ballistic on my behalf and replays that that was a far from satisfactory response. Canon agreed to replace with new brand model.

If you can supply them with a CF card with images explaining the issue you should have some movement.

Kent ­ Clark
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2014 12:53 |  #24

The test is described in the first post. I did reply to this email, stating that the explanations didn't make sense and the rationalization, that it was the focus test that was flawed, didn't hold water since it was first noticed in real world shooting and then only verified by the test. Up to now Canon has been almost immediate in replying to me (they even replied to me on Sunday of the Labor Day weekend within 4 hours which makes me believe that "Michael" from Canon support is really some minimum wage off shore worker) but so far no reply to my latest email. It looks like tactic one is to just explain away any problem and tactic two is to ignore you when you don't accept tactic one.

What I would really like to hear from others in the forum now is how do I escalate this? Send in my 2 month old camera for service? Call the Canon 800 number? Call another number? Call Adorama, the vendor? What would you do?

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,754 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 02, 2014 13:07 |  #25

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1354075

Kent ­ Clark
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2014 13:19 |  #26

I've seen that and started to read. But he specifically says in the OP that it is at distances greater than 17 feet and with the center focus. My center focus is ok, it's the center zone and 19 point AF that give poor results. And my problems are not just at 17+ feet but a shorter distances as well.

Are there people talking about what to do with this problem if canon ignores you? If so I'll slog through it and find out.

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 02, 2014 13:25 |  #27

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17131494 (external link)
They came back with, 'we might have a firmware fix soon that might fix this issue' email.

Do you still have this email? I know a lot of people would be really interested in seeing it.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,439 posts
Gallery: 595 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 02, 2014 15:25 |  #28

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17131494 (external link)
They came back with, 'we might have a firmware fix soon that might fix this issue' email.

Might fix? :confused::rolleyes:

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Kent ­ Clark
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2014 11:47 |  #29

So I guess this is how you build and reward brand loyalty. After waiting 2 days for a reply I sent another email, again asking them for a better explanation of why they think my camera is functioning normally. I asked to have my concerns elevated to someone else, or if they could provide me with a phone number or an email I could use for further contact. I've heard nothing from them. My next step is to contact Adorama and see if they can help me.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,734 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Sep 05, 2014 12:06 |  #30

Kent Clark wrote in post #17137355 (external link)
So I guess this is how you build and reward brand loyalty. After waiting 2 days for a reply I sent another email, again asking them for a better explanation of why they think my camera is functioning normally. I asked to have my concerns elevated to someone else, or if they could provide me with a phone number or an email I could use for further contact. I've heard nothing from them. My next step is to contact Adorama and see if they can help me.

Adorama will only refer you back to Canon if it is past their 30 day return period.

Mark

sponsored links

4,639 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is my new 70D bad or is this normal?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.