Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Sep 2014 (Monday) 14:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Working as a Second Shooter

Fettaugraphy
94 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 01, 2014 14:18 |  #1

I would like to get input from shooters that may be in the same position.

I am planning to become an event/wedding photographer with a timeline of about 2 yrs. I have about 3 event shoots under my belt and need more experience and portfolio material.
With teenage kids, a house and a full time career I do not currently have the time to dedicate to the heavy work load of a wedding photog.

Has anybody on this forum focused solely on being a second shooter? I would love to hear from you. Are you able to make enough money ?

Thanks in advance.

Canon 5D3,7D
16-35 f4L IS, 70-200 f4 IS L , 85 f1.8 ,35mm f2 IS, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC , Sigma 50 mm 1.4 art , 135 L
http://www.stevefett.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
1000WordsPhotography
515 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 01, 2014 17:30 |  #2

I've never been a dedicated second, but I've done some of it. And I have a couple of guys that work with me that are pretty much dedicated seconds.

I think "enough" is a relative goal, enough for what.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 01, 2014 17:47 |  #3

Fettaugraphy wrote in post #17129838 (external link)
I would like to get input from shooters that may be in the same position.

I am planning to become an event/wedding photographer with a timeline of about 2 yrs. I have about 3 event shoots under my belt and need more experience and portfolio material.
With teenage kids, a house and a full time career I do not currently have the time to dedicate to the heavy work load of a wedding photog.

Has anybody on this forum focused solely on being a second shooter? I would love to hear from you. Are you able to make enough money ?

Thanks in advance.

For my area, including Philly and the surrounding areas, pay ranges from 300-500 from a respectable photographer. That may include lots of driving to get to the location. So you're probably in for a very long day.
To actually make decent money, you'd need a job nearly every weekend. So either connect with a full timer locally, or you may have to drive further distances to get the job from photographers outside your area.
To mix this in with a wife, family, full time job, house, and other responsibilities, I think it may be a bit much, but you do as little or as much as you want.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 01, 2014 18:16 |  #4

I agree with 1000words....what is "enough" mean to you? Does it means enough for a Mexican vacation every year? Does it mean enough to buy a larger house?

For me I do a lot of 2nd shooting and event shooting and right now it covers about 3/4 of my monthly bills but I do not live above my means with all kinds of credit cards and fancy toys other than cameras.

For what its worth I very much enjoy being a 2nd shooter. I don't have to deal with the business side of things. I show up where I am told to show up to, do my thing and give the cards to the primary at the end of the night. It works for me as I am not sure I want to get into owning my own business again but I do enjoy photography and meeting all kinds of new people.

Fettaugraphy
THREAD ­ STARTER
94 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 01, 2014 20:22 as a reply to  @ the flying moose's post |  #5

I should qualify the term " enough".

I wanted to compare it to performing a full wedding which would involve say 40 hrs of your time for $x . Versus 5 hrs for $y . Is it possible to make the same hourly rate.

For me this would be a partial suppliment to my current income for my day job. So I don't need it food and shelter etc.

Canon 5D3,7D
16-35 f4L IS, 70-200 f4 IS L , 85 f1.8 ,35mm f2 IS, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC , Sigma 50 mm 1.4 art , 135 L
http://www.stevefett.c​om (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 01, 2014 22:46 |  #6

Fettaugraphy wrote in post #17130492 (external link)

I wanted to compare it to performing a full wedding which would involve say 40 hrs of your time for $x . Versus 5 hrs for $y . Is it possible to make the same hourly rate.

For me this would be a partial suppliment to my current income for my day job. So I don't need it food and shelter etc.

That would be hard to answer as there are many variables to consider. Each location has a different price point. Some photographers offer books as part of their packages and other don't.

Lets say a wedding is $3000 and is 8 hours long.

$3000 amount paid for services
$400 amount deducted for 2nd shooter
$250 amount deducted for wedding album
$50 amount deducted for transportation to and from wedding for photogs
$300 amount deducted for other things I am sure I missed
$2000 left over

Now you have spent 8 hours taking photos. Add to that an average time of 35 hours to for the editing process from start to the finished product and you have spent 43 hours total.

$2000/43 hours = $46.50/hr Primary
$400/08 hours = $50/hr 2nd

Of course this is just a single example and with the amount of variables involved its hard to presume to know what will "pay" more in the end.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 02, 2014 00:40 |  #7

the flying moose wrote in post #17130716 (external link)
$3000 amount paid for services

$300 amount deducted for other things I am sure I missed

You'd allow 10% of your costs for stuff you haven't thought of yet?

35 hours for editing is a ridiculous amount of time. Even half that is slow.

Peter

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 02, 2014 00:41 |  #8

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17130817 (external link)

I am not a wedding photographer so I did a quick google search pulled numbers from there.

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 02, 2014 06:59 |  #9

Fettaugraphy wrote in post #17130492 (external link)

I've been second shooting this summer and have been paid anywhere from $10-$25/hr. It varied whether I was truly a second or more of an assistant. Although, I'm not likely to accept the $10/hr jobs anymore.

I don't really expect to make the same per hour as the primary. I don't have the same responsibility.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 02, 2014 08:16 |  #10

Agreed--I'd say I spend about 10-12 hours processing the average wedding, including occasional post LR edits in PS. And even this feels like a long time. I sincerely hope there aren't people spending 3x the time processing.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17130817 (external link)

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 02, 2014 08:41 |  #11

NewCreation wrote in post #17131062 (external link)
I don't really expect to make the same per hour as the primary. I don't have the same responsibility.

Personally I wouldn't hire a second shooter who doesn't place the same value on their time as I do. E.g. if the minimum hourly rate I was prepared to earn as a primary was $50 per hour I'd expect my second to want the same.

Personally I don't see a second as a lesser photographer. I see them as a different photographer who should be equally capable and shoot entirely in their own style.

Peter

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 02, 2014 09:14 |  #12

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17131189 (external link)
Personally I wouldn't hire a second shooter who doesn't place the same value on their time as I do. E.g. if the minimum hourly rate I was prepared to earn as a primary was $50 per hour I'd expect my second to want the same.

Personally I don't see a second as a lesser photographer. I see them as a different photographer who should be equally capable and shoot entirely in their own style.

The context in which I have been hired has been entirely different than that. I have been hired for a couple of weddings mostly as an assistant with no expectations of getting any shots. My primary responsibility was to lug stands, check the shot list,etc. I am now getting bookings as co-shooter and expect the pay to be entirely different. So the context of the arrangement will greatly affect the rate and expectations. I can see, for what you are expecting that the one hired would expect a comparable rate to you.

Facebook (external link)

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 02, 2014 12:37 |  #13

FWIW, I charged $~400 per event about 4 years ago.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 02, 2014 12:38 |  #14

S30L28 wrote in post #17131576 (external link)
FWIW, I charged $~400 per event about 4 years ago.

As a second?

Facebook (external link)

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 02, 2014 16:12 |  #15

NewCreation wrote in post #17131580 (external link)
As a second?

Yes. I only took up a few jobs as a second shooter, but not having to deal with post was a dream come true.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

sponsored links

2,929 views & 0 likes for this thread
Working as a Second Shooter
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.