Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Sep 2014 (Monday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ever feel like your work is lacking

Nick ­ Aufiero
462 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2013

Sep 01, 2014 07:12 |  #1

I can't put my thumb on it.
I've been doing photography for a little over a year now.

I see myself progressing, and I believe that I am as well, but I every time I look at my photos compared to some others I just feel inferior.

Was browsing through 1x.com and its just mind blowing how good most of the work is.

Obviously comparing myself to others, especially of that caliber, is not a good thing nor is it necessary but ya know.

What are some books/videos/lessons/t​utorials that have majorly helped you over all as a photographer?

I mean I know I obviously lack major equipment compared to most as well but I feel like I have sufficient enough gear to put out better work than I do currently. ( I don't have any studio strobes and I currently have One Reflector and normally no one to go with to hold it)
Canon 6D
100mm L Macro
24-105 Canon L

Here are some of my most recent shots I did. Please keep in mind I'm not the greatest at photoshop and I was heavily messing around with Frequency separation for the first time hah

IMAGE: http://www.sincerephotography.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/28.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.sincerephotography.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/315.jpg

Other pics can be found on my site if you really wish to thumb through but ya
www.sincerephotography​.us (external link)

Once again, I am proud of my work and myself as a photographer but when I see these they just feel lacking.
The BnW especially in the way of contrast. It just doesn't pop to me.
I'm also terrible at editing BnW and I also feel like the lighting to begin with wasn't the best.

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate your time and thoughts.
:oops::)

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 01, 2014 08:28 |  #2

Nick Aufiero wrote in post #17129124 (external link)
I see myself progressing, and I believe that I am as well, but I every time I look at my photos compared to some others I just feel inferior.wasn't the best.

You're still a beginner, and beginners don't and can't produce work that matches the effort of experienced technicians and artists.

There's a concept popularized by author Malcom Gladwell, that ten-thousand hours of practice are needed to master any skill. If you've been using a camera for one calendar year, if you spent every hour of that year practicing photography, you would not have reached 10,000 hours.

Photography is an art that has many subtleties in its many styles and offshoots. It takes years to lean how to manipulate those subtleties and even more time to master them.

If you stick with photography and are determined to learn, you'll get better, but you won't be a master overnight. Too many people, having seen the work of experienced master artists and craftsmen, think they can get a camera and achieve the same thing right away, and then they're disappointed when the money they spend on equipment doesn't equate success.

If you're dedicated to long and intense study, you'll improve,but that improvement will be gradual and incremental.

Do you really want to improve? Consider locating a school or a master photographer who will teach what you need to learn.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 01, 2014 08:37 |  #3

Well, I've been at this for at least 5 years now and I feel like I'm lacking too, although if I didn't, I suspect I wouldn't strive to get better either. No matter what you do or are into, there is a very slim chance that you are the best or have gone the furthest, but don't look at what other people are doing, look at your own work and do the best you can.

I'm also terrible at editing BnW and I also feel like the lighting to begin with wasn't the best.

This is a bit of a separate topic, for B&W images to turn out well, they have to be shot with B&W in mind. Usually the first disappointments come when you get drab gray images because you weren't paying attention to the lighting or that being in B&W adds nothing to the aesthetic.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

delta0014
316 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Sep 01, 2014 09:06 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #4

Everone's work is inferior to someone else's.

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 01, 2014 09:13 |  #5

DC Fan wrote in post #17129207 (external link)
You're still a beginner, and beginners don't and can't produce work that matches the effort of experienced technicians and artists.

There's a concept popularized by author Malcom Gladwell, that ten-thousand hours of practice are needed to master any skill.

FWIW I reckon I've shot for about 2500 hours in total to date since I bought my first DSLR when I was a complete novice. I'm by no means a master now but IMHO Gladwell's figures go out of the window with the advance of Liveview and EVFs.

Grab a Sony A7 (any of the series) with an EVF and you should nail every exposure. It is so easy to shoot WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). The only thing you have to concentrate on is composition and timing. Instead of the old days of film where you had maybe 5 out of 100 perfectly exposed images to learn from you can now have 95-100% perfectly exposed images to learn from. In theory people should be able to learn a good 20 times faster than they did in the film days as the era of trial and error is largely gone with an EVF.

Peter

jsecordphoto
In disbelief of how amazing I am
257 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 01, 2014 10:07 |  #6

I'd be more worried if I never felt like that! That feeling is what makes me strive to learn more, shoot more, and improve.

Nikon D750, Nikon 50 f1.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, Tamron 150-600
www.jsecordphoto.com (external link)

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 02, 2014 05:50 |  #7

I know exactly what you mean about looking at the great work of others and feeling inferior. But rather than let it get you down, use it as motivation to keep improving. Yes the improvement will be gradual! The more you know the more you realise how much you have yet to learn.. but learning (for me at least) is a huge part of the fun and challenge of photography.

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 02, 2014 06:05 |  #8

I dont have a clue about how many hours I spend looking through the viewfinder, but I have the same feeling as the OP. I guess it's a sign that you're learning and I do feel that every shoot i do today is the best ever. If I compare last year's photos to this year's I realise I made big steps.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17129256 (external link)
FWIW I reckon I've shot for about 2500 hours in total to date since I bought my first DSLR when I was a complete novice. I'm by no means a master now but IMHO Gladwell's figures go out of the window with the advance of Liveview and EVFs.

I reckon you've shot quite a bit more hours than me, but that's guessing. EVF and Liveview are wonderful but don't impact on photography as an art. The technical side is easier, it's certainly easier to expose correctly, but in terms of composition, lighting (play with shadows and such), cleaning up little distractions in your frame and around the edges, getting the most out of each piece of equipment, and so on... there is no substitute for experience, learning and talent.

Having said that, I think Gladwell's figures are a rough average at best. It's putting learning into a simple statistic. Some people may learn faster than others at certain subjects. That's not immediately rated to hours.

OP, I think your pictures look good and very promising. Don't worry too much about lacking in your own mind, and look to your own work of last year when you started out or a couple of months ago. Your pictures also show you're quite good at dealing with models as she looks to be quite relaxed. Sometimes we think of photography as only the bit that comes out of the camera.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,408 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Sep 02, 2014 06:22 |  #9

Well... once one has mastered everything one wants to do, what else is left to do but die?

Enjoy the learning journey while you can!

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,986 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 02, 2014 08:14 as a reply to  @ alan_potter's post |  #10

All the time...;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 02, 2014 11:21 |  #11

Don't worry, I regularly feel like this, and I've been at it 10 years :lol:

Sometimes I feel like I make some progress when something clicks, then I stagnate again.

And occationally I look back at a photo I took 5 years ago and think I've made no progress. Then I realise I took 300 photos in a session and got 1 good one that really just came together more by luck than judgement as is 100x better than everything else I shot that day but at the time I had no clear idea as to why I suddenly got a good one, where as now I could reasonably expect to shoot 10 - 20 frames to get the same result, and that makes me feel better.

I still feel frustrated by how little progress I'm making, but I think I'm at the point where I need to put a huge amount of time on a consistant basis into my photography to progress; ie i've got as far as i can get with only picking my camera up in a capacity that really moves me forwards once a month (vs firing off lots of snapshots of family life).

First theres loads of technical camera things to master. Then there's light to get right (i'm not going to say master here - that's a lifelong endevour). Then you realise that all of that is useless if you can't direct and get the best out of your subject (for portraits) and you realise that photography isn't really about cameras at all :confused:

Btw, I really like the second image :) definately the stronger of the two.

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 02, 2014 23:26 |  #12

I see myself progressing, and I believe that I am as well, but I every time I look at my photos compared to some others I just feel inferior.

Was browsing through 1x.com and its just mind blowing how good most of the work is.

Obviously comparing myself to others, especially of that caliber, is not a good thing nor is it necessary but ya know.

What are some books/videos/lessons/t​utorials that have majorly helped you over all as a photographer?

I mean I know I obviously lack major equipment compared to most as well but I feel like I have sufficient enough gear to put out better work than I do currently. ( I don't have any studio strobes and I currently have One Reflector and normally no one to go with to hold it)
Canon 6D
100mm L Macro
24-105 Canon L

Once again, I am proud of my work and myself as a photographer but when I see these they just feel lacking.

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate your time and thoughts.
:oops::)

That's a good thing. It means you've set a high standard for yourself, and HOPEFULLY you'll follow up on that by making better work.

As far as what I think helps, I guess anything can helps. Books, tutorials, whatever. But I think the most important thing is simply to continue working and then getting intelligent feedback about that work.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 02, 2014 23:53 |  #13

If you ever feel your photos are good enough... you are doing it wrong.

The moment I press the shutter the photo I take is destined to be pulled to pieces by me and eat away at me with me knowing I could have done better. I never want to lose that feeling.

Peter

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 03, 2014 03:36 |  #14

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17132693 (external link)
The moment I press the shutter the photo I take is destined to be pulled to pieces by me and eat away at me with me knowing I could have done better.

Yes me too. There are only a tiny handful of my photos that I'm completely 100% satisfied with, I wouldn't change anything about them at all. There's a much larger number where I'm very happy with the result but will be forever kicking myself for not using a slightly different setting, moving closer or further away etc. And a vastly larger set where I probably shouldn't have pressed the shutter at all :D

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,206 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 03, 2014 04:03 |  #15

........but I every time I look at my photos compared to some others I just feel inferior.

If you didnt feel like this you would either be a jackass or the worlds greatest photographer

Personally, I feel I have improved over time by being inspired with other peoples work on here and striving to be that good myself. Ive also asked a million questions on here which has helped. Then practice, practice, practice as they say

And im under no dilusions that I have mastered it but im certainly better than I was 3 years ago when I started so its going in the right direction

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

sponsored links

3,182 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ever feel like your work is lacking
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.