Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 05:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear lust or GAS

MikeBurtonPhillipson
256 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 03, 2014 05:05 |  #1

I popped into Mill Galleries in London yesterday as the results of the British Wildlife Photography awards had been announced and all of the winning and highly commended images were on display..

Something that struck me was the varied gear used.. ok mostly Nikon and Canon, but also the age of the gear ... from 400D, 20D, 7D, MkII to 1D's and of course 1DX (a few mkIII's)...

All images were printed up to A2 (or larger) I specifically remember two of the prints which were particularly stunning - one shot with a Canon 550 and the other a 20D..

Just thought i'd share... if you get chance to see the gallery as it goes on tour i'd highly recommend it

5DmkIII | 7D | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 15-85 IS | 400D | Tokina 10-17 fisheye | 400D Ikelite Underwater housing |
http://www.mikeburtonp​hillipson.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,938 posts
Gallery: 2056 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 03, 2014 12:45 |  #2

Heya,

Yeap, just goes to show, a good photograph that prints large and looks wonderful can come from a $200 camera and a decent piece of glass. A lot of what makes a wildlife photograph amazing is the composition, lighting, dramatic posing/action, which is all "in the moment" type stuff that a patient observer is more likely to get in a day just by being there often, rather than going out with the best equipment once in a while. Great gear helps. But again, the real difference is the moment and that cannot be replicated or bought, but rather, requires patience, research, timing, etc.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 03, 2014 13:00 |  #3

In my own personal experience, the following is accurate:
99.9% of the time its gear lust/GAS.
99.9% of the time my current "non-pro" gear will get the job done just fine
99.9% of the time its the photographer, not the gear, that makes or breaks the image.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

cheffievrs
571 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 03, 2014 14:47 |  #4

What does Gas mean..?

Queens Royal Hussars
www.jswphotography.co.​uk (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,938 posts
Gallery: 2056 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 03, 2014 14:49 |  #5

cheffievrs wrote in post #17133805 (external link)
What does Gas mean..?

Someone who spends more time on the internet, looking at gear, wanting gear based on other people's work, and measurements and crap like that, .... and spend way, way less time behind the glass. And often, don't even continue to use it after they get it but rather move on to the next great white whale that is better every few months, based on whatever is popular (it could be an old item even).

;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 03, 2014 15:25 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

cheffievrs wrote in post #17133805 (external link)
What does Gas mean..?

Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

SixDeeFan
301 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 03, 2014 16:42 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #7

I wonder who might qualify on this forum?

Canon 90D | Tamron SP 35 f/1.4L DI | Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 DI VC G2 | Tamron SP 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC G2 | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC G2 | Tamron SP 2X Pro TC | Tamron TAP-in Console

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 03, 2014 16:58 |  #8

Among the thousands of photographs I've taken, one stands out to me personally..... and it was mostly luck. I had purchased a 60D and had added my 70-300L. One evening, I saw a fluttering of wings on the lawn in our backyard. It was just a brief moment. I went outside to see if whatever it was was still around. Fairly high up in a pine tree, a barred owl was perched.... just looking around. I grabbed my 60D, installed the 70-300L and rushed outside. I shot a few handheld but he just sat there so I went back inside, got my tripod, set it up and started again. I even shouted a few times to get him to turn his head turned the right way. Our neighbors on both sides came out into their yards to see what the ruckus was about, saw my tripod and camera and went back inside.

Long story to support the theory: f/8 and be there. I couldn't have done it with my little G12, so the equipment mattered but mostly, it was beginner's luck. I've never seen him around since and it's been two years now.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 03, 2014 17:06 |  #9

SixDeeFan wrote in post #17134015 (external link)

99.9% of us :)

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,985 posts
Gallery: 378 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 03, 2014 17:09 |  #10

SixDeeFan wrote in post #17134015 (external link)

Think there are a few 'post your gear' threads, some read better equipped than my local shop.

I still enjoy shooting with my 350D, produces really well. At 8.2mp it's more than my retina screen can fit, on full screen. Of my own shots, one of my favourites was captured on an iPhone4 - but if I had my 350D in my hand it would have been that. That sunk home the above 99.9% rule to me.

Also a Kim

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear I use to create (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)YouTube (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 03, 2014 17:47 |  #11

MikeBurtonPhillipson wrote in post #17132950 (external link)
I popped into Mill Galleries in London yesterday as the results of the British Wildlife Photography awards had been announced and all of the winning and highly commended images were on display..

Something that struck me was the varied gear used.. ok mostly Nikon and Canon, but also the age of the gear ... from 400D, 20D, 7D, MkII to 1D's and of course 1DX (a few mkIII's)...

All images were printed up to A2 (or larger) I specifically remember two of the prints which were particularly stunning - one shot with a Canon 550 and the other a 20D..

Just thought i'd share... if you get chance to see the gallery as it goes on tour i'd highly recommend it

Just goes to prove what we all should know - the photographer is more important than the gear!
Top gear helps but it won't replace skill!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 03, 2014 18:21 |  #12

personally I decided that my GAS will dissipate once I can't carry all my gear at once anymore.

Now excuse me, have to hit the gym ;-)a

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 03, 2014 23:35 |  #13

I lust over my own gas.... does that count?

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 04, 2014 04:37 |  #14

If Canon would stop making cameras specific to certain tasks then GAS wouldn't be a problem. It's when you have a 1D3 for wildlife and then fall out with the photogs and then move to landscapes and buy a 5D3 and then get invited to shoot pro sports and feel the need to change cause you get told your 5D3 and new lenses won't cut it. That's when GAS is a royal pain in the a$$.

That's right they do make a do it all, its called the 1Dx. How silly of me. Now where's that £4500 I left lying around. *pats pockets*

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 04, 2014 06:05 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Paulstw wrote in post #17134776 (external link)
If Canon would stop making cameras specific to certain tasks then GAS wouldn't be a problem. It's when you have a 1D3 for wildlife and then fall out with the photogs and then move to landscapes and buy a 5D3 and then get invited to shoot pro sports and feel the need to change cause you get told your 5D3 and new lenses won't cut it. That's when GAS is a royal pain in the a$$.

That's right they do make a do it all, its called the 1Dx. How silly of me. Now where's that £4500 I left lying around. *pats pockets*

That is not on Canon. The 'do it all' part is on the shooter. Lots of folks get by just fine with a P&S, or more recently, a cell phone as their 'do it all' camera.

With that out of the way, I have a closet full of crap that cost as much as my car.
I have GAS. Or OCD!

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

sponsored links

6,997 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear lust or GAS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.