Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yet another Mom-tographer start-up!

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 04, 2014 08:11 |  #1

I know we've all seen this...someone that likes to "do pictures"... owns a cheap Rebel DSLR, no portfolio and calls themselves a pro....feast your eyes on these deals! :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

DC~

sponsored links
Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Gallery: 257 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 04, 2014 08:20 |  #2

Cool. Someone else who won't be taking business from me.

For the life of me, I will never understand why people feel the need to point out folks like this. If this woman is a threat to your business, you'd better either step up or get out of the business, because you're doing it wrong...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 04, 2014 08:22 |  #3

And?

We have all seen these kind of ads. There is no point in using "mom-tographer" in a semi-derogatory manner. If she shoots the pants of your business, then you have something to worry about. Likely people who pay for this kind of photography do not do so instead of paying for photography that costs 4-10x as much, but instead of not paying for it at all.

The only thing worth commenting on this for me is the thought of how much culling I would have to do to only have 30-40 images from 2 hours.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 04, 2014 08:31 |  #4

Does it upset you because you use the word "pro" in your business name? (which incidentally sounds like a brand of ball point pen)

Peter

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,754 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 04, 2014 09:00 |  #5

The bigger issue should be why you think this is your competition and why this would be of any concern.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 04, 2014 09:25 |  #6

@OP: I thought about linking to some of your work to provide context for what you think is professional--but that wouldn't be cool I don't think. Neither is bashing this Isabeth person, who is probably just trying to do the best they can.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 04, 2014 09:28 |  #7

As above, I don't see what the fuss is about!?! It's her time, she can charge what she likes. If she gets customers, and is happy, fair play to her! ;)

Scott

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 04, 2014 10:19 |  #8

I'm not sure he is threatened by the person, but the flyer claims professional photography. if it isn't so professional, then it casts others who claim to be professional is a negative light. So, you have to clear an already formed perception before you can sell your product.

Personally, I really like the style of the ad and it would appeal to me for photos I may want of my kids. Though even as a customer, I would wonder how the heck someone is going to give me 2 hours of work PLUS editing for only $45.

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,473 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 04, 2014 10:46 |  #9

OP, you had to know that there would be backlash from this. You have almost 1,000 posts on this forum. That means you know that 95% of the people on here are genuinely kind no matter what your experience, professional or otherwise. A good way to get those people to turn on you is to try to get a rise out of people due to a startup photography business. Have you forgotten that we were all startups at some point?

Simply put OP, you are a bully. "Bully: n; a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker." Bullies only bully for two reasons: 1. They feel intimidated by the person they are bullying and feel they need to show who is dominant, or 2. They feel insignificant or lack self-confidence and therefore feel the need to attempt to pull others down to there level, this reason being far more common than the first. So which is it with you OP?

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18 f4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35 f2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 04, 2014 10:48 |  #10

I feel sorry for the work a person would have to put in at those prices. Even at 1 hour for $25, you're probably going to work for 1 1/2 hours with just very basic editing and copying everything to a CD and taking no time for driving, cost for fuel, cost of CDs, etc... in to account. If you're putting in more time than that, it's just not worth it. It boils down to about $12.50-$16 an hour and I know local Sheetz gas stations start about $12.00 an hour.

That just seems way much work for that little money.

I mean, I've done work for a $10-$15 6 pack of beer, but that's shooting for friends with a mutual benefit of a project I want to work on. I'd never advertise that to potential clients.

:D

1 hour session - <$10 6 pack
1 1/2 hour session - $10-$15 6 pack
2 hour session - $10-$15 6 pack and 2 bombers of assorted oak aged ale

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 04, 2014 10:53 |  #11

I am a mom-tographer and not only that, a "lady whose husband has a nice job to buy her equipment" (as quoted by one of the primary photogs I shot for this summer. Meh...my work is not at Peter or Tim's level yet, but I'm on my way.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 04, 2014 10:55 |  #12

This is for Isabeth to discover, right ? She'll probably feel this pain soon enough and grow from it. But in the meanwhile she probably cares more about building a portfolio, working with more people and developing her skills at the same time. The $ isn't the main value they're getting from their work at this stage. Do they have the ultimate business plan ? Probably not. But why should any one denigrate their attempt ?

The use of the word 'pro' is a little unfortunate, I'll agree. But, really, what is the criterion for that ? And aren't these prices (and their current portfolio) sufficient to make clear just what the prospective client should expect ?

Village_Idiot wrote in post #17135288 (external link)
I feel sorry for the work a person would have to put in at those prices. Even at 1 hour for $25, you're probably going to work for 1 1/2 hours with just very basic editing and copying everything to a CD and taking no time for driving, cost for fuel, cost of CDs, etc... in to account. If you're putting in more time than that, it's just not worth it. It boils down to about $12.50-$16 an hour and I know local Sheetz gas stations start about $12.00 an hour.

That just seems way much work for that little money.

I mean, I've done work for a $10-$15 6 pack of beer, but that's shooting for friends with a mutual benefit of a project I want to work on. I'd never advertise that to potential clients.

:D

1 hour session - <$10 6 pack
1 1/2 hour session - $10-$15 6 pack
2 hour session - $10-$15 6 pack and 2 bombers of assorted oak aged ale

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 04, 2014 11:29 |  #13

If she's getting paid, she's a pro, or semi pro at least. The title isn't defined by how much you charge, or even the quality of your work.

Scott

PapaGary
515 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 04, 2014 11:29 |  #14

Whoa, tough room.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,808 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 04, 2014 11:44 |  #15

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #17135306 (external link)
Isabeth . . . probably cares more about building a portfolio, working with more people and developing her skills at the same time. The $ isn't the main value they're getting from their work at this stage.

Yes, not everything is measured in dollars. We don't know enough about Isabeth to make judgments. She may be 16, supported by her parents, wanting to use her interest in photography to earn pocket money, and not a mom at all. Maybe she's been told "These are really good. You should start charging for them." This story is probably false, because I just made it up, but nothing in it is inconsistent with the ad.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links

21,992 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yet another Mom-tographer start-up!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.