Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 01 Sep 2014 (Monday) 19:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cleveland Airshow Labor Day 2014

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 01, 2014 19:01 |  #1

I got so many more good photos this year. Still working on a bunch, but I had to share this one. They set it up with explosions in the background and the two plans intercepting the jet truck. Since I was on the far end of the runway, the truck had already passed the explosions by the time everything was in view. I got lucky though because in other photos there were flags in the way or one of the planes was not in frame. Wish I had more sky in the photo.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5560/15111898125_299d8cdb7a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/p2oq​PF  (external link) Explosion001 (external link) by mikeinctown (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 01, 2014 19:06 |  #2

That's pretty spectacular!

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 694334 does not exist. ]

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Eagle
Goldmember
4,363 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 01, 2014 19:25 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #3

Nice! You had a lot better vantage point for that one than I had.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
3,483 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 01, 2014 19:59 |  #4

Great stuff from either vantage point. I'm guessing Skip Stewart put on a great show but who is piloting the other one.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Eagle
Goldmember
4,363 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 01, 2014 20:53 |  #5

cicopo wrote in post #17130439 (external link)
Great stuff from either vantage point. I'm guessing Skip Stewart put on a great show but who is piloting the other one.

Melissa Pemberton

Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 01, 2014 21:16 |  #6

Oh wow eagle. I'm guessing you were in the "box seats"? I was all the way down on the left where the planes came to taxi on the runway. We had some great views as the planes left for the runway. I think we got there about 9:30 and managed to get basically 2nd row from the fence. There was enough room for one seat which I asked if my son could use. That allowed me a pretty good view.

For the life of me though I do not understand why they put all those darn flags in the ground to block your view. They have a truck that gets blocked. They have planes flying only a couple feet from the surface of the runway and the flags block them too.

Example:

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5583/15090046956_5dbdea967b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oZsr​eo  (external link) Flags001 (external link) by mikeinctown (external link), on Flickr

I'm guessing then you didn't get to see this amazing stunt. On the takeoff he goes sideways.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3873/15110099801_71bba7de60_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/p2ed​f6  (external link) StuntPlane001 (external link) by mikeinctown (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3912/15112756502_b88b0c133d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/p2sP​Zh  (external link) StuntPlane002 (external link) by mikeinctown (external link), on Flickr

cicopo
Goldmember
3,483 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 01, 2014 21:30 |  #7

Skip's trademark take off. Pretty impressive doing a knife edge the moment you get airborne. I saw him perform in Cozumel a few trips ago & we watched from the side of the runway. Crazy but what a rush.

Thanks re the Milissa Pemberton info. I've seen here perform locally but in a very different way.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Eagle
Goldmember
4,363 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 02, 2014 18:29 |  #8

mikeinctown wrote in post #17130615 (external link)
Oh wow eagle. I'm guessing you were in the "box seats"? I was all the way down on the left where the planes came to taxi on the runway. We had some great views as the planes left for the runway. I think we got there about 9:30 and managed to get basically 2nd row from the fence. There was enough room for one seat which I asked if my son could use. That allowed me a pretty good view.

For the life of me though I do not understand why they put all those darn flags in the ground to block your view. They have a truck that gets blocked. They have planes flying only a couple feet from the surface of the runway and the flags block them too.

I was just behind the fence at the back of the box seats. A little to the right of where the announcers were. Them flags are annoying that's for sure. This is the best I got of Skips knife edge, had to grop some of the crowd out. What lens were you using?

HOSTED PHOTO

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 03, 2014 01:50 |  #9

Some great shots here! They certainly didn't skimp on the size of the explosions - great and unusual backdrop.

Love the knife edge shots too - recently got to see someone do that in a Pitts Special at a small airshow in Norfolk, amazing stuff so close to the ground and so quickly after take off! What these guys can do with those planes is just incredible - they fling them around like radio control models.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 03, 2014 08:20 |  #10

5D2 with a 100-400L. I was using center point focus so I've had to crop a lot of grass out of many shots. I had the hood on but wish I had a CPL or something because I was shooting at F10 much of the time at ISO 100 and still had shutter speeds that wouldn't blur the propellers. For the jets and some of the action I tried to bump the ISO up to 320-400 to catch some shadow detail, but my shutter speeds then were 1600+. Still not comfortable with using or quickly changing outer point focus so many shots aren't as good as they could be.

As I'm sure you noticed, the haze was crazy bad. Looked like blue skies standing there, but so many photos I have just have grey sky. I've had to really play with color saturation and contrast in DPP. Lightroom may have been a little easier as I could make a custom setting and apply it to all. Te shots taken earlier in the day of the bombers came out much better, for sure.

squires
40 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 04, 2014 13:12 as a reply to  @ mikeinctown's post |  #11

Nice shots. I like your vantage point too. I was in the box seats on the far side from where you were. I despise the flags too. I had a speaker to contend with and a flag about 8-10ft on both sides of the speaker. Very annoying.

Seeing the vantage points on your shots makes me wish I could have gone multiple days to shoot from different spots.

sponsored links

2,579 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cleveland Airshow Labor Day 2014
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.