Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 17:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No photo or video allow outside of DMV office?

walkien
817 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Sep 04, 2014 17:41 |  #1

I took my son to DMV for his driving test today, and I try to take some photo and video (from my cell phone) of him driving off the lot, the office manager and a security officer stop me from doing it, and ask me to put my phone away before they call the cops, and I could be arrested. Is it legal to take photo/video of my children in public place? Is DMV office a private property?

Canon 1D Mark II N, Canon 5D Mark II with grip, Canon 7D II with grip, Canon 10D with grip, broken Canon G2. 28-135 mm IS, 50 mm F1.8 II, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4 L, 85 f1.8, 100 macro 2.8 IS
420 EX/580 EX/580EXII, 2 600 EX-RT, Bogen 3321 tripod
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, 2 Alien Bees b800, 60" umbrella, large octogon softboxes LightSphere II, Omnibounce. Tronix Explorer 1200, pocket wizard

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 04, 2014 17:51 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

There might be more than just privacy issues at play here. Look at the examination policies. They might not want to have people recording the tests for a number of reasons, like preventing lawsuits based on someone's perception of the examiner's behaviour/approach/&c.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 04, 2014 18:09 |  #3

Few years back when I was called to court for Jury duty, emphasis was, not enter any cellphone of any kind whether video/cam capable or not (For time not all had it). Two years back when called for most recent jury duty, no restriction on cellphone (When almost all has video and still camera) and no restriction in using them on waiting room.

I believe public are not allowed to use any recording device, including voice at government buildings so I am sure they had some right on their side to call on you.

But then with all the concealed recording devices in our days, I am not sure how one can even think of stopping people from recording something, almost anywhere in the world.

Nevertheless stay away from trouble at all costs.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

moose10101
registered smartass
1,678 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 04, 2014 19:05 |  #4

Alveric wrote in post #17136002 (external link)
There might be more than just privacy issues at play here. Look at the examination policies. They might not want to have people recording the tests for a number of reasons, like preventing lawsuits based on someone's perception of the examiner's behaviour/approach/&c.

The DMV is government property, so while on that property, the government can permit or restrict photography. If you had done it while standing outside the DMV lot, I am not aware of any restriction, though you still might run into someone who thinks there is one under some nonexistent "Homeland Security" clause.

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 04, 2014 20:48 |  #5

moose10101 wrote in post #17136131 (external link)
The DMV is government property, so while on that property, the government can permit or restrict photography. If you had done it while standing outside the DMV lot, I am not aware of any restriction, though you still might run into someone who thinks there is one under some nonexistent "Homeland Security" clause.

But they must do so by approved public policy, regulation, or law. Otherwise it would be permitted as public space (especially outside). Likely they just don't like it in case you were planning on throwing a fit when your son failed.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

walkien
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Sep 04, 2014 22:26 as a reply to  @ MattPharmD's post |  #6

I was about to show them this (I have lot of copies in my car), but I don't want to make a big scene out of it. BTW, my son passed the test :)
http://www.aclupa.org …1/KYRPhotograph​ersweb.pdf (external link)

Canon 1D Mark II N, Canon 5D Mark II with grip, Canon 7D II with grip, Canon 10D with grip, broken Canon G2. 28-135 mm IS, 50 mm F1.8 II, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4 L, 85 f1.8, 100 macro 2.8 IS
420 EX/580 EX/580EXII, 2 600 EX-RT, Bogen 3321 tripod
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, 2 Alien Bees b800, 60" umbrella, large octogon softboxes LightSphere II, Omnibounce. Tronix Explorer 1200, pocket wizard

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 04, 2014 22:36 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

You could always carry a copy of that with you and produce it whenever someone challenges you. Just make sure all of the rights therein mentioned apply in your state.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,360 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 04, 2014 22:36 |  #8

walkien wrote in post #17136432 (external link)
I was about to show them this (I have lot of copies in my car), but I don't want to make a big scene out of it. BTW, my son passed the test :)
http://www.aclupa.org …1/KYRPhotograph​ersweb.pdf (external link)

When dealing with the mental midgets in public "service" it's easier to just walk away (unless you really have hours/days/weeks to piss away).

Legal, right or logic have no place in their arguments. Trying to reason with them will only aggravate and infuriate you further.

FWIW - I may be a bit biased, having lived most of my life in one of the most crooked states in the union, and without a doubt the most crooked county in that state. YMMV.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,243 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 04, 2014 23:12 |  #9

Politely ask for a printed copy of the regulation or rule that prohibits you from taking photos. As mentioned above government facilities, while publicly owned, are not fully public property and there may be legitimate secutity or privacy concerns. As a 25 year employee of the state Mbellot loves to denigrate I can assure you that the majority of the public employees are just trying to do their jobs within the rules given to them. Start by asking to see the rules, if they dont provide it ask via a freedom of information request.

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 05, 2014 14:57 |  #10

samsen wrote in post #17136023 (external link)
Few years back when I was called to court for Jury duty, emphasis was, not enter any cellphone of any kind whether video/cam capable or not (For time not all had it). Two years back when called for most recent jury duty, no restriction on cellphone (When almost all has video and still camera) and no restriction in using them on waiting room.

I believe public are not allowed to use any recording device, including voice at government buildings so I am sure they had some right on their side to call on you.

But then with all the concealed recording devices in our days, I am not sure how one can even think of stopping people from recording something, almost anywhere in the world.

Nevertheless stay away from trouble at all costs.

Roughly 2008... I was doing jury duty and I asked one of the clerks if I could bring my camera in and take some photos of the really cool interior of the court house during our down time. She was very friendly and assured me it was ok. I did and had no issues and no one confronted me. I did avoid including people in the pics as much as possible, but that was not a condition.

Can't guarantee this for everywhere, though. Just my one anecdote.

gonzogolf wrote in post #17136487 (external link)
Politely ask for a printed copy of the regulation or rule that prohibits you from taking photos. As mentioned above government facilities, while publicly owned, are not fully public property and there may be legitimate secutity or privacy concerns. As a 25 year employee of the state Mbellot loves to denigrate I can assure you that the majority of the public employees are just trying to do their jobs within the rules given to them. Start by asking to see the rules, if they dont provide it ask via a freedom of information request.

I agree with this. I would probably wait and take it up after I got home, and just file the answer away for future use.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 06, 2014 08:46 |  #11

This "No Photos or Video" policy is in place because Kalifornia does not want other states stealing the secrets detailing how the Department of Motor Vehicles offer such a high level of service to the public. Having spent hours dealing with these helpful public servants, I can fully understand their desire to keep these tidbits confidential. If this policy were not in place I have no doubt their offices would be flooded by spies with cameras from other states wanting to rip off their mojo.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 06, 2014 08:52 |  #12

rick_reno wrote in post #17138797 (external link)
This "No Photos or Video" policy is in place because Kalifornia does not want other states stealing the secrets detailing how the Department of Motor Vehicles offer such a high level of service to the public. Having spent hours dealing with these helpful public servants, I can fully understand their desire to keep these tidbits confidential. If this policy were not in place I have no doubt their offices would be flooded by spies with cameras from other states wanting to rip off their mojo.

Riiiiiight....

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 06, 2014 14:26 |  #13

rick_reno wrote in post #17138797 (external link)

:lol: Nice... and accurate.

Though, I will say that once I actually did get stellar service.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,620 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 06, 2014 14:34 |  #14

mbellot wrote in post #17136445 (external link)
When dealing with the mental midgets in public "service" it's easier to just walk away (unless you really have hours/days/weeks to piss away).

Legal, right or logic have no place in their arguments. Trying to reason with them will only aggravate and infuriate you further.

Yes, with this mindset dealing with public servants and others about whom you make similar assumptions must be a pure pain. In my experience starting with an assumption they may (or may not) turn out to be potential allies, listening carefully, staying calm and speaking slowly and respectfully most often works well.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,944 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 06, 2014 14:50 |  #15

AZGeorge wrote in post #17139199 (external link)
Yes, with this mindset dealing with public servants and others about whom you make similar assumptions must be a pure pain. In my experience starting with an assumption they may (or may not) turn out to be potential allies, listening carefully, staying calm and speaking slowly and respectfully most often works well.

Yep. A hostile attitude is going to get a negative attitude in return. And a friendly one often helps a lot.

I've been dealing with the California DMV for more than 50 years, sometimes with complicated tasks such as lien sales. It used to be a terrible experience, but around 12-15 years ago they got the message and changed everything.

No more standing in line for an hour or more, they have chairs. I can make an appointment if I want to wait for a couple of weeks, but I've found checking their web site I can get an accurate picture of wait times at all the offices in my area and select the office and time accordingly. Last time I went to the DMV (no appointment) the wait was two minutes.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

sponsored links

2,765 views & 0 likes for this thread
No photo or video allow outside of DMV office?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.