Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 11:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can you trigger a Canon and a Youngo flash at the same time?

Rypheal
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 04, 2014 11:00 |  #1

Currently I have a Canon EOS 700 d with canon 430 speedlite EX II. I want to buy a Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight and trigger them together using a wireless flash trigger.

Is this possible?

sponsored links
tmalone893
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 04, 2014 12:03 |  #2

Rypheal wrote in post #17135315 (external link)
Currently I have a Canon EOS 700 d with canon 430 speedlite EX II. I want to buy a Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight and trigger them together using a wireless flash trigger.

Is this possible?

Short answer: yes. I use the Yongnuo 622c all the time with Canon and a YN560

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

inkista
605 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 04, 2014 15:16 as a reply to  @ tmalone893's post |  #3

Yes. However. The 560 is a "manual-only" flash. While you can use a TTL trigger, like the YN-622c to trip it, you will not have the extra function you bought that TTL trigger with the 560--only the 430EXII.

And if you buy the YN-560iii (vs. MkII), which has the built-in receiver, that receiver only works with the RF-602, RF-603, RF-603II, or YN-560-TX transmitters, which are manual-only. So while you could control the power/zoom on the YN-560iii with a YN-560-TX, you cannot do that with the 430EXII.

My recommendation would be to consider a YN-568EX or YN-5600EX if you want TTL/HSS triggering with YN-622C triggers, or resign yourself to manual-only triggering, and get a YN-560iii instead of the MkII, so you get the built-in receiver.

OR. If you're happy using your pop-up flash's built-in master, then just make sure you get a YN model with "EX" in the name, so it can "speak" Canon's light-based proprietary wireless eTTL system.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sancho1983
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 04, 2014 16:08 |  #4

I have a Canon 430exII and 3 Yongnuo 560IIs. I have a trigger which I attach to the Canon, then set the others to slave mode and they get triggered by the Canon.

Obviously it is all manual, but I don't mind that, I've learnt a lot from it.

Instagram (external link)
www.bgsweddings.co.uk (external link)

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 04, 2014 21:09 |  #5

I know you can do it with Cactus V6 triggers. The beauty of them is you can mix flash brands and control output power remotely in 4 different flash zones with multiple flashes of mixed brands in each zone. Love my Cactii.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

Rypheal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 05, 2014 06:48 |  #6

inkista wrote in post #17135735 (external link)
Yes. However. The 560 is a "manual-only" flash. While you can use a TTL trigger, like the YN-622c to trip it, you will not have the extra function you bought that TTL trigger with the 560--only the 430EXII.

And if you buy the YN-560iii (vs. MkII), which has the built-in receiver, that receiver only works with the RF-602, RF-603, RF-603II, or YN-560-TX transmitters, which are manual-only. So while you could control the power/zoom on the YN-560iii with a YN-560-TX, you cannot do that with the 430EXII.

My recommendation would be to consider a YN-568EX or YN-5600EX if you want TTL/HSS triggering with YN-622C triggers, or resign yourself to manual-only triggering, and get a YN-560iii instead of the MkII, so you get the built-in receiver.

OR. If you're happy using your pop-up flash's built-in master, then just make sure you get a YN model with "EX" in the name, so it can "speak" Canon's light-based proprietary wireless eTTL system.

Thanks for all the replys, very helpful.

Manual triggering wouldnt be that much of a problem at the moment. Like sancho1983 said it can actually be very educational for me. Prices of the YN-568EX or YN-5600EX is little bit too expenisve for me at this point. So I think i will follow your advice for going for the YN-560iii with build-in receiver.

My next question :) will then be: am I good to go with the following setup:

- YN-560iii
- 430EX II
- Yongnuo RF-603C3 (2x tranceivers)

The YN-560iii has its own built-in trigger, so i dont need to attach a RF-603C3 to it. I will attach 1 of 2 RF-603C3 to my 430EX II and one to my camera. Will this work to trigger both flashes?

And also what about the sync speed, does Yongnuo RF-603C3 only allow me to shoot at max 1/250 sec shutterspeed? So if I want to shoot at let say 1/1000 sec I need to get a different flasht trigger like the Yongnuo YN622?

inkista
605 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 05, 2014 16:08 |  #7

Rypheal wrote in post #17136843 (external link)
Manual triggering wouldnt be that much of a problem at the moment. Like sancho1983 said it can actually be very educational for me.

You say that now. More on this below.

... am I good to go with the following setup:

- YN-560iii
- 430EX II
- Yongnuo RF-603C3 (2x tranceivers)

...Will this work to trigger both flashes?

Yes, although I'd advocate getting the RF-603II (Canon), rather than the Mk I model. The off/Tx/TRx switch is on the side where you can reach it, rather than an on/off switch on the top where you can't reach it when the 430EXII is on top. It also can withstand higher sync voltages (if you ever use vintage flashes this can become a concern), and has a locking ring on the foot. They're also compatible with non-Canon hotshoes, so if you add a mirrorless system (Fuji X, NEX, micro 4/3), they'll still work. The Mk Is won't. And the two versions cost the same.

And I'd actually say, get one RF-603II for the 430EX, and a YN-560-TX, if you can afford it. The YN-560-TX will allow you to remotely control the power on the YN-560iii (but not the 430EXII) and turn groups on and off. It's about $20 more ($40 for the TX unit), but it's worth it if you ever plan to put your flash somewhere not easily accessible.

And also what about the sync speed, does Yongnuo RF-603C3 only allow me to shoot at max 1/250 sec shutterspeed?

Actually, the 700D's maximum sync speed is 1/200s. So, that's your limit with manual flashes and manual triggers. Sync speed limits are determined first by the camera body.

So if I want to shoot at let say 1/1000 sec I need to get a different flasht trigger like the Yongnuo YN622?

Simply swapping to the YN-622C triggers won't work in achieving high shutter speed on both flashes (only the 430EXII). You not only need TTL-capable triggers, you also need an HSS-capable flash to achieve high-speed sync. Which is why I recommended getting a YN-500EX or YN-568EX instead. Both of those flashes can do HSS and can do HSS off-camera if you use the YN-622C triggers; the YN-560 and YN-565EX cannot.

The difference between manual-only and TTL gear isn't just whether you set the power manually or automatically based on metering. It's also about full communication of the hotshoe protocol. Manual gear can only communicate the "sync" signal. TTL gear can communicate all the signals on the other four pins/contacts of the hotshoe. So, TTL, HSS, 2nd curtain, menu/group/power settings, etc. etc. rely on having those communication channels between the camera and the flash.

The YN-560III and YN-560-TX can do some of that communication (power/zoom/group control), but it's only if you use those two units, and it's still not the full protocol (e,g., no HSS).

You don't need TTL gear, true. But it's much nicer and more convenient to have--even if you always shoot with your flashes in M mode. Remote power control and groups control without having to walk up to each and every individual light in your set up is convenient. HSS is convenient. And both are good reasons to save up a few more pennies for TTL gear.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Anna789
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2017

Aug 06, 2017 16:46 as a reply to  @ inkista's post |  #8

Hello,

I am looking to use my Canon 600ex Speedlite with a Yongnuo Speedlite. Which Yongnuo Speedlite would you recommend for the 600ex?
I would like something that has a fast recycle rate.
Also what trigger would you recommend I buy as well?

Anna789
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2017

Aug 06, 2017 16:47 as a reply to  @ inkista's post |  #9

Hello,

I am looking to use my Canon 600ex Speedlite with a Yongnuo Speedlite. Which Yongnuo Speedlite would you recommend for the 600ex?

inkista
605 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 06, 2017 18:28 |  #10

Anna789 wrote in post #18420754 (external link)

Either a YN600EX-RT II, or the upcoming YN-686EX-RT (if you'd prefer a Li-ion battery pack vs. 4xAAs). Both of these are in the -RT system.

Recycle rate has more to do with the power level you set on the flash than the flash itself, these days. The lower the power setting, the faster the refresh will be.

That's up to you. You don't need a trigger if you have two -RT speedlights, as both can be used as either master or slave, and have the RT transceivers built-in. If you want a dedicated standalone receiver, Canon's ST-E3-RT is probably the best built, but you could also use Yongnuo's YN-E3-RT. Or possibly a Phottix Laso transmitter. Depends on your budget and what you want out of a transmitter in terms of build quality/reliability.

Most of us would say just go Godox these days, as it's lower-cost. But you can't use it with the Canon -RT system.

echelonphoto
107 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2001

Aug 12, 2017 12:07 as a reply to  @ inkista's post |  #11

actually the yn600exrt recycles faster than the canon unit....i have observed this first hand, owning both. BTW I have a mint one for sale if you are interested...switching camera systems..also have the yn600 transmitter really cheap

sincity
169 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Aug 12, 2017 17:31 |  #12

What about using a headphone splitter to do a multiple signal TX..

IMAGE: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31dIo-XpvgL.jpg

Just run some short 3.5mm cables to each flash..

sponsored links

5,689 views & 1 like for this thread
Can you trigger a Canon and a Youngo flash at the same time?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.