Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 05:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear lust or GAS

cheffievrs
561 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 04, 2014 09:14 as a reply to  @ post 17133888 |  #16

Cheers for the replies.. :thumbs:

Queens Royal Hussars
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59499293@N08 (external link) http://500px.com/jswoo​d (external link)

sponsored links
MikeBurtonPhillipson
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 04, 2014 09:39 |  #17

Paulstw wrote in post #17134776 (external link)
If Canon would stop making cameras specific to certain tasks then GAS wouldn't be a problem. It's when you have a 1D3 for wildlife and then fall out with the photogs and then move to landscapes and buy a 5D3 and then get invited to shoot pro sports and feel the need to change cause you get told your 5D3 and new lenses won't cut it. That's when GAS is a royal pain in the a$$.

That's right they do make a do it all, its called the 1Dx. How silly of me. Now where's that £4500 I left lying around. *pats pockets*

yup.. i'd convinced myself a while ago i needed a mkIII as i only had a really crappy noisy, 'crops are just for amateurs' (be a pro buy full frame) 7D etc etc.. but then then why not the 1DX, yes it's expensive but then it's all i'd need.. oh but then i'd need a general zoom as i couldn't use my 15-85 EFs.. so i'd need the 24-70 mkII.... hang on... this is getting silly etc etc..

I didn't buy anything in the end.. i took a step back.. thought about it.. and seeing the images and range of gear used to shoot the images in the gallery (i honestly couldn't tell the difference between the 1DX and 5D mkII or 7D prints).. i'm cured.. at least for now anyway ;)

5DmkIII | 7D | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 15-85 IS | 400D | Tokina 10-17 fisheye | 400D Ikelite Underwater housing |
http://www.mikeburtonp​hillipson.co.uk (external link)

blackgold59
154 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 04, 2014 09:40 |  #18

I agree, just goes to show one that the camera is only half the battle.

I think we all have a bit of gear lust in us, but I also tend to think we all realize it after a bit as well.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 04, 2014 09:53 |  #19

Mike,

I would love to have a full frame camera but I did what you did. I added up how much I would have to spend to duplicate what I have now. The final price was staggering. Unless something dramatic happens to our finances, I'm happy with my crop cameras. I'll add another long lens at some point, probably the Sigma 120-300 Sport with the corresponding teleconverters. This will take two years of dedicated saving for me at our current household income.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 04, 2014 16:25 |  #20

SixDeeFan wrote in post #17134015 (external link)
I wonder who might qualify on this forum?

I've heard there are a few gear heads here

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 04, 2014 19:49 |  #21

gnome chompski wrote in post #17133596 (external link)
In my own personal experience, the following is accurate:
99.9% of the time its gear lust/GAS.
99.9% of the time my current "non-pro" gear will get the job done just fine
99.9% of the time its the photographer, not the gear, that makes or breaks the image.

This is true for myself...
99.9% of the time it's me, not the gear, that breaks the image. :neutral:

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

say_cheese
789 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 05, 2014 21:52 |  #22

tagnal wrote in post #17136210 (external link)
This is true for myself...
99.9% of the time it's me, not the gear, that breaks the image. :neutral:

Guilty as charged.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 05, 2014 22:31 |  #23

MikeBurtonPhillipson wrote in post #17132950 (external link)
Something that struck me was the varied gear used.. ok mostly Nikon and Canon, but also the age of the gear ... from 400D, 20D, 7D, MkII to 1D's and of course 1DX (a few mkIII's)...

All images were printed up to A2 (or larger) I specifically remember two of the prints which were particularly stunning - one shot with a Canon 550 and the other a 20D..

Just thought i'd share... if you get chance to see the gallery as it goes on tour i'd highly recommend it

And this was not expected? :D A photo is the photographer not the camera. If you are buying gear to take better photos then you are a fool.

I admit to suffering from GAS, but that's because I would rather spend my hard earned money on cameras and lenses than something boring like 4K TVs and hookers.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

sportsnewstoday2
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 08, 2014 00:50 |  #24

Mike, I am glad you post your findings. I have found your observation to be very accurate. Yes, a new camera may have many advantages over older cameras. But, if one has good technique and knowledge of lighting, those oldies can still perform at a high level. The only thing that matters to me is how the final print will look.

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 08, 2014 05:05 |  #25

Gear lust can come from strange sources too. When I did my first wedding it was with a 7D. A guest was chatting to me about photography and asked what camera I was using. I politely said a Canon 7D. No other answer. He launched into a debate with me about why I wasn't using a FF camera. After all I was photographing his sister in laws wedding and it had to be of the highest quality.

He said that at least I should have came with a 5D mark II. I politely said that once I'm charging more for my weddings, I'll happily turn up with the best of gear, however, had it not been for your sister in laws original photographer dumping out on the deal three weeks ago I wouldn't be standing here. "I didn't know that mate sorry" However, i lusted after a 5D mark II for ages after that thinking that's what I needed.

palad1n
Goldmember
1,769 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 08, 2014 06:23 |  #26

my tip how to recognize a person with severe GAS on forums and similar sites: long gear list link with super-detailed information in description, no gallery/portfolio link to see actual photos ... :)

I know many great photographers using older dslr´s, i have used 1Ds MKII for a while, IQ is still comparable to any DSLR in most situations, but i always hate button layout, display, lack of MFA and AUTOISO. It was amazing for landscape photography, but for sports, it was difficult for me to quickly change exposure, but sensor based IQ was never limiting factor, 600D, 70D, 1DmkII, 5DmkIII, all are very similar in IQ department to me, it´s all about lenses and PP today and good focusing, composition, lighting, precious moments.

People should care less about IQ, especially these who use heavy PP anyway... It´s really sad to see people shooting with 5dmkIII and super-expensive and sharp lenses, when every picture looks like from instagram:(

Paulstw wrote in post #17141699 (external link)
Gear lust can come from strange sources too. When I did my first wedding it was with a 7D. A guest was chatting to me about photography and asked what camera I was using. I politely said a Canon 7D. No other answer. He launched into a debate with me about why I wasn't using a FF camera. After all I was photographing his sister in laws wedding and it had to be of the highest quality.

He said that at least I should have came with a 5D mark II. I politely said that once I'm charging more for my weddings, I'll happily turn up with the best of gear, however, had it not been for your sister in laws original photographer dumping out on the deal three weeks ago I wouldn't be standing here. "I didn't know that mate sorry" However, i lusted after a 5D mark II for ages after that thinking that's what I needed.

This is unfortunately true, the worst position probably have starting photographers without rich well-built portfolio, because they can´t prove they are able to shoot top quality with mid-range dslr.
Buying expensive camera is starting to be as important as in high businness enviroment owning expensive cars and other accessories, people buy expensive cars just for good representation, which really matters. Clients can decide only on very basic factors like if the photographer has very expensive equipment, he probably know what he is doing, etc...

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,500 posts
Gallery: 658 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 08, 2014 16:01 as a reply to  @ post 17134866 |  #27

Interesting article on Petapixel:

http://petapixel.com …ally-need-shoot-like-pro/ (external link)

So when the Canadian magazine Men’s Fashion recently assigned me to write and shoot a travel article on Riga, Latvia, I made a choice that some might think is a little extreme. I traveled light. Extremely light, mainly because I needed to work fast.

I took only two pieces of gear. A tripod and a camera. On top of that, two spare batteries, five 16-gig SD cards, and a microfiber cloth. That’s it.

I didn’t need the extra weight in Riga thanks to the lightweight camera I selected for the shoot. So which camera did I take? Are you ready? Drum roll please…I shot the entire assignment with nothing more than a pocket camera. The Sony RX100.

Just to be clear, what I’m trying to say here has nothing to do with specific camera models. Quite the opposite. It’s to show that you don’t need what most people think is a ‘pro’ camera to take professional-quality photographs.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 11, 2014 19:12 as a reply to  @ Azathoth's post |  #28

I once read a statement that has stayed with me; Don't remember who wrote it. I am certainly no 'Master", but it does help to retain these thoughts.

"Amateurs worry about gear,
Professionals worry about skills,
Masters worry about light"

The flower included was shot with a 40D and a 'kit' lens (28 - 135 f3.5). I don't think I could have done better with FF. If I would have, someone please explain. I will eventually get a FF, because I just want one in my lifetime.
Thanks

http://trailguy.smugmu​g.com …/0/X2/ASIATIC-LILY-X2.jpg (external link)

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 12, 2014 21:22 |  #29

trailguy wrote in post #17148955 (external link)
I once read a statement that has stayed with me; Don't remember who wrote it. I am certainly no 'Master", but it does help to retain these thoughts.

"Amateurs worry about gear,
Professionals worry about skills,
Masters worry about light"

I worry the most about gear and light.
Does that make me an amateur master? No I think it just makes me a nerd.

The flower included was shot with a 40D and a 'kit' lens (28 - 135 f3.5). I don't think I could have done better with FF. If I would have, someone please explain. I will eventually get a FF, because I just want one in my lifetime.
Thanks

It would be a little sharper if one cared to zoom into 100%, at typical viewing distances no difference.

EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 08, 2014 06:43 |  #30

This pretty much reflects my attitude towards gear. To most of people who view your photo the gear won't make any difference, but you still know the difference is there and need to be able to sleep at night.

IMAGE: http://image.slidesharecdn.com/13-steve-jobs-quotes-for-creatives-and-designers-130602163834-phpapp02/95/13-steve-jobs-quotes-for-creatives-and-designers-12-638.jpg?cb=1406838200

500px (external link)

sponsored links

6,536 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear lust or GAS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.