Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 14:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 6?

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 02, 2014 18:41 |  #16

D Thompson wrote in post #17131615 (external link)
Interesting thought Elie. Why would there be a beta? I thought the whole premise behind going to Creative Cloud was to get updates and new features out quicker/easier. It would seem that there would not be a need for a beta version if you're only doing incremental updates.

Except you still cant release very untested software to paying customers. Many photographers may prefer to stay with the stable build during the beta period. There is always the possibility that the beta would break your catalogue entirely.

I could see adobe only offering the beta to cloud subscribers as a perk, but still calling it a beta. However, one if the advantages to a beta is to get current users to try out the new features (as there inevitably are in full number releases) and get dependent on them. This improves conversion rate. LR5 works fine for me. If I dont get to try out a beta, I am unlikely to upgrade until forced to by the need for camera raw compatibility with a new camera.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 03, 2014 05:30 |  #17

One thing I have noticed with Adobe (at least over the last couple of release cycles) is that LR has had free public Beta and even pre-release versions that have enabled the use of the new product from effectivly announcement to full release. Adobe have not released Beta/Pre-release versions of any other software that I am aware of. Not for PSCS 5 or 6, nor any version of PSE. I don't think any of the CS applications has a public pre-release program like LR. I don't know what it was like with very early versions of Adobe's products, LR is still relativly young compared to most of Adobe's other products.

Most of the major upgrades to the Process Versions have I beleive come with the release of a new LR version. This may be in part behind the public beta programs for LR. I don't recall there being any significant changes with the capablities of ACR since the release of PSCC that we haven't seen first in LR.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 03, 2014 07:40 |  #18

BigAl007 wrote in post #17132975 (external link)
Adobe have not released Beta/Pre-release versions of any other software that I am aware of. Not for PSCS 5 or 6, nor any version of PSE. I don't think any of the CS applications has a public pre-release program like LR

There were beta versions CS3, CS5, & CS6 for sure, I participated and still have the download files.

CS6 Beta (external link)
CS3 Beta (external link)

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 03, 2014 08:47 |  #19

D Thompson wrote in post #17133092 (external link)
There were beta versions CS3, CS5, & CS6 for sure, I participated and still have the download files.

CS6 Beta (external link)
CS3 Beta (external link)

Oh well they somehow managed to pass me right by without noticing. I guess that blows my theory out of the water.

Alan

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 05, 2014 22:32 |  #20

Be warned that lightroom beta versions usually don't have a catalog (your record of images and every adjustment you made to each photo) aren't upgradable to a catalog in the new program version. So while you can play with the beta version, you'll lose all your set of adjustments when the beta stops working - and it will by design when LR comes out.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 06, 2014 00:37 |  #21

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17138342 (external link)
Be warned that lightroom beta versions usually don't have a catalog (your record of images and every adjustment you made to each photo) aren't upgradable to a catalog in the new program version. So while you can play with the beta version, you'll lose all your set of adjustments when the beta stops working - and it will by design when LR comes out.

I don't think that is true. At least I do not remember it being the case with LR4 Beta to RC1 to the full version, all of which I used. I did not find LR5 Beta much of an improvement over 4 and it was very unstable on my rather old machine, so I didn't make the move to 5. It would not be in Adobe's interest if you could not keep the work you did with the pre release versions when you upgrade to the new version. Of course new versions of catalogue files are never backwards compatible.

Alan

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 06, 2014 16:22 |  #22

I have used four betas - 3, 3 beta2, 4 and 5 - and never lost a pixel.

Elie / אלי

nhoang82
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 10, 2014 19:32 |  #23

it sucks that I just bought LR5. :)

Currently owned: Canon 7D with grip, 580EX II, 50mm 1.4, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-105mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L
Wanted to sell: Canon 7D with grip - 900$ <9k shutter counts, 24-105mm f/4L - 600$, 70-200mm f/2.8L - 1000$

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Sep 24, 2014 12:49 |  #24

nhoang82..I am still not sure I wont buy LR5 as I don't want to wait till March for LR6. The only way I will not buy LR5 is if the beta for LR6 comes out asap.

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Sep 24, 2014 12:51 |  #25

So this is where I will find LR6 beta when it is released right?

http://labs.adobe.com/ (external link)

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 6?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.