Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 08:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LG 34UM95-P 21:9 UltraWide

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 05, 2014 11:07 |  #31

Eyal wrote in post #17135771 (external link)
Its really a "do you really need it" kind of an upgrade.
...Do you need wider area? ...

This is true.

Because if you work in adobeRGB, you will lose it, and the difference is very high.

This is inaccurate.
"sRGB 99%
With over 99% coverage of the sRGB spectrum... Color mode conversion between Adobe RGB and sRGB is available on the "Color Mode" menu"

I have the U2713H and comparing it to the LG a friend of mine has, even after calibration, the colours of the dell or just superior.

That is subjective.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

sponsored links
Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 05, 2014 18:48 |  #32

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #17137291 (external link)
This is inaccurate.
"sRGB 99%
With over 99% coverage of the sRGB spectrum... Color mode conversion between Adobe RGB and sRGB is available on the "Color Mode" menu"

This is far from being the same. Not even remotely close.
It's like putting 200 numbers in a 100 numbers array by skipping half of them. So you get 1 and 200, but half of the betweens are gone, so you are far from accurate if you need it. This is not "subjective". It's just a plain fact which I stated. You might like to argue around facts, but a fact is a fact. A 72% adobe RGB vs 99% adobe RGB, is a fact. Not subjective.
"Subjective" is if it matters to you or not, or if you care to look for the difference os not. To you it might not. To others it might. You prefer to compromise, others might not. The U2713HM has 72% of adobe RGB and cost less than the U2713H, but 72% does not make it a similar editing monitor like the U2713H. And a good reason for that. I have both side by side every day. Both are fully calibrated, and you can clearly see the difference when you work at adobeRGB ranges in portraits and large gamut images (landscapes especially).

The LG panel is 8 bit with RFC. While this can "simulate" adobe RGB colour gamut, it does not do so accurately as it works by "flickering" the colour of the pixel instead of giving it the right colour. It stretch the gamut a bit, but not close to adobe RGB, and the error level is not on par with real good quality 10 bit monitors.
If you read a bit more about it, you will also see that RFC has issues with the warmer colours, especially shades of red. Its very inaccurate there on the adobeRGB range, so you get almost similar range on the red and greens but very short range on the reds. This can cause large differences when exporting images for print.

If you are working for internet publications, this means nothing, but if you go for printing publication, this can matter very much (unless you get someone to post edit your edits to match the colours instead of doing it in the first place).
If you put two calibrated monitors side by side, you can see the difference slightly in colour tones and smoothness of them on skin if you edit portraits for example.

You can consider it "good enough" but to some it is not, so buyers coming from editing monitors who might use it for editing and just playing games or having larger screen, should be aware of the difference. Like it or not, it's there.
"Good enough" is your subjective. But it's a fact that there are differences. This is not a subjective matter.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 06, 2014 01:42 |  #33

Ok you win the interweb. Just don't why you stay on this tread and bash the LG. Either way you win.

PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 06, 2014 09:46 |  #34

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #17138511 (external link)
Ok you win the interweb. Just don't why you stay on this tread and bash the LG. Either way you win.

I don't bash LG. This monitor is everything they advertise.
A little extra knowledge won't hurt you too much.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 07, 2014 23:38 |  #35

http://www.buydig.com …tm_placement=20​140818_DOD (external link)

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 05, 2014 01:59 |  #36

Eyal wrote in post #17135771 (external link)
Its really a "do you really need it" kind of an upgrade.
The U3011 is an amazing monitor. Great colours and very good resolution and size.
Do you need wider area? Because if you work in adobeRGB, you will lose it, and the difference is very high. I have the U2713H and comparing it to the LG a friend of mine has, even after calibration, the colours of the dell or just superior.

My experience differs markedly to yours. A month ago I purchased a 34um95 to replace my Dell u2711/u2410 setup and I definitely see it as an upgrade. Yes the u2711 and other wide gamut monitors have the ability to show more colours but in practice I've found it more hassle than it's worth. In particular a pet hate has been the supersaturated neon colours displayed by the majority of apps which are not colour aware including video players, youtube etc. Hopefully one day in the near future operating systems and app developers adopt a universal wide gaumt standard. The other alternative is for manufacturers to offer an accurate sRGB monitor emulation for non colour managed apps.

My 34um95 does not suffer from any of the light bleed issues that you typically read on the forums and in fact it calibrates much more accurately than my u2711. Perhaps Dell's HC panels would calibrate just as well since like the 34um95 they allow LUT adjustments directly ie. as opposed to video card LUT changes which can introduce artifacts such as gradient banding. Sure if you are constantly editing heavily colour saturated images in Photoshop (as opposed to Lightroom) you will see some additional colour saturation on a wide gamut panel, but with my workflow the 34um95 provides more accurate matches between screen and print (prints from a top professional lab). Perhaps your friends 34um95 wasn't properly calibrated - colour aside, also make sure you turn off the default sharpening on your Dell panel which can affect perceived image quality.

As for other major benefits over my u2711 I won't talk about the better anti-glare coating, productivity gains from the extra screen real estate, let alone the thinness of the 34um95's bezels and its thin profile. Set up on a Ergotron MX desk arm finally my desk looks uncluttered, minimalist and sleek :)

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Hybrid ­ AWD
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 26, 2014 08:33 |  #37

Just a heads up. It's currently on sale at Newegg right now for $899.99 + 10% off with the promo code EMCWWHE25.

So it comes out to $809.99 with the free 4-7 business day shipping or $819.48 with 3 day shipping.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 03, 2014 15:41 |  #38

Hybrid AWD wrote in post #17293998 (external link)
Just a heads up. It's currently on sale at Newegg right now for $899.99 + 10% off with the promo code EMCWWHE25.

So it comes out to $809.99 with the free 4-7 business day shipping or $819.48 with 3 day shipping.

Great deal! I paid almost $200 more than that for mine (still worth every penny)!

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

sponsored links

17,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
LG 34UM95-P 21:9 UltraWide
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.