Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Sep 2014 (Friday) 03:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Top 10 most mentioned photographers

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 05, 2014 14:45 as a reply to  @ post 17137690 |  #16

L.B. "Jeff" Jefferies - sports and fashion photographer who preferred the Exacta VX, broke the Lars Thorwald murder case in 1954

Thomas Hemmings - avantgarde 1960's fashion and art photographer

Echo DiSavoy - photojournalist, Llanview Banner

Laura Mars - controversial 1970's fashion photographer criticized for images that objectified women

Lucy Berliner - European art photographer of the 1990's whose work often appeared in Frame Magazine

Anna Cameron - art photographer active in England around 2004

Peter Parker - part-time photojournalist for the Daily Bugle.

Vicki Vale - photojournalist for the Gotham Gazette

Alexandra "Alex" DeWitt - photojournalist in Los Angeles, murdered in 1994

sponsored links
moose10101
registered smartass
1,675 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 05, 2014 14:53 |  #17

maverick75 wrote in post #17137690 (external link)
Household as in a photographers household? because the general population has no clue who most of these are(save for maybe Terry and Annie).

I've been doing this as a hobby for almost 40 years, and I'd never heard of Peter Lik until I saw his name on this web site. I've never seen his name on any other site I frequent, either.

DC's list is probably closest to fact. More people have heard of Peter Parker than 99.9% of the photographers we could name.

Snaphaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 06, 2014 03:51 |  #18

moose10101 wrote in post #17137716 (external link)
I've been doing this as a hobby for almost 40 years, and I'd never heard of Peter Lik until I saw his name on this web site. I've never seen his name on any other site I frequent, either.

DC's list is probably closest to fact. More people have heard of Peter Parker than 99.9% of the photographers we could name.

Mmm... this could be a problem. But then I'm not talking about the general population - just the enthusiasts. I always thought that Peter Lik is like a Ken Rockwell... love him, hate him but you know his there. This is tricky but let's see what happens.

(note: I think Ken Rockwell should be good for the list :twisted:)

Snaphaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 06, 2014 03:55 |  #19

DC Fan wrote in post #17137703 (external link)
Peter Parker - part-time photojournalist for the Daily Bugle.

Vicki Vale - photojournalist for the Gotham Gazette

Alexandra "Alex" DeWitt - photojournalist in Los Angeles, murdered in 1994

These names won't quite cut it for what I'm planning. I need real photographers. But thanks anyway :)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 06, 2014 06:21 as a reply to  @ Snaphaan's post |  #20

Fictional photograpers also are frequently mentioned.

Jefferies was James Stewart's wheelchair-bound character in "Rear Window," one of Alfred Hitchcock's best features.

Hemmings was in "Blow-Up," the Michelangelo Antonioni feature that glamorized fashion photography and inspired a generation of photographers to pick up cameras.

Mars was Faye Dunaway's character in "Eyes of Laura Mars," which had scenes at fashion shoots that were prescient of what would follow in actual magazines a generation later.

Berliner was Ally Sheedy's character in "High Art," a 1998 film that blended ideas from "Blow-Up" and "Laura Mars."

Vale comes from the Batman universe.

DeWitt featured in a notoriously violent Green Lantern story from 1994.

Cameron was a street photographer, Julia Roberts' character in 2004's "Closer."

As with Parker, "more people have heard of [these fictional photographers] than 99.9% of the photographers we could name."

If a currently successful sports photographer such as Walter Iooss or a photojournalistic legend such as Eddie Adams doesn't immediately come to mind, maybe it's time to pursue some online research (external link).

moose10101
registered smartass
1,675 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 06, 2014 06:46 |  #21

Snaphaan wrote in post #17138579 (external link)
Mmm... this could be a problem. But then I'm not talking about the general population - just the enthusiasts.

Maybe you should have defined "household name" more precisely when you started the thread.

limping_decorum
96 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 06, 2014 07:27 |  #22

ansel adams
glen e friedman
cr stecyk III
bob osborn

not drowning...just waving.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 06, 2014 07:30 as a reply to  @ moose10101's post |  #23

Because of this:

maverick75 wrote in post #17137690 (external link)
Household as in a photographers household? because the general population has no clue who most of these are(save for maybe Terry and Annie).

This is the most correct (IMO) list:

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17136877 (external link)
Vivian Maier
Ansel Adams
Robert Frank
Henri Cartier-Bresson
Dorothea Lange
Edward Weston
Annie Liebovitz
Bruce Davidson
Sally Mann
Joel Meyerowitz

Only other one I would have thought of would be Weegee

And, depending upon the age of the person, many LIFE magazine photographers were 'household names' in the 50's, 60's, and even into the 70's.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

wanyc
256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 06, 2014 10:00 |  #24

General population is more likely to have heard of Robert Mapplethorpe than a lot of the names mentioned here.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,903 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 06, 2014 10:26 |  #25

Snaphaan wrote in post #17136695 (external link)
Not the best, not the pro-choices, not your personal favorites but just the one's who end up as household names for whatever reason.

I don't know if there even are 10 photographers who are household names. I mean, if you mentioned Peter Lik or Scott Kelby to "regular people" who have no little/no interest in photography (like 95% of the world's population), they would say, "Who?"

Ansel Adams may be the only true "household name" photographer there is.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 06, 2014 17:52 |  #26

Tom Reichner wrote:
=Tom Reichner;17138921
Ansel Adams may be the only true "household name" photographer there is.

yep, only the first gets noted. Just like people only know the 1st Survivor and the 1st American Idol.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 06, 2014 18:07 |  #27

Back when I got started in photography in the early to mid 1960s, there were several photographers on staff with Life Magazine who were extremely well known to enthusiasts. The one who comes to mind most readily is Alfred Eisenstaedt.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

BrianS
412 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 07, 2014 09:54 as a reply to  @ post 17137690 |  #28

- Garry Winogrand
- Joel Meyerowitz
- Henri Cartier-Bresson (HCB)
- Alex Webb
- Bruce Gilden
- Vivian Maier
- Elliott Erwitt
- Martin Parr
- Daido Moriyama
- Lee Friedlander

Canon 5D3, Leica M6, Fujifilm x100 & Olympus E-M5 | Walkabout Street (external link)

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Sep 07, 2014 11:39 |  #29

Off the top of my head Ansel Adams, of course. Annie Liebo..... (sp?) and Dave Hill. I like Dave Hill's photography.

But also, being a lifelong surfer: Aaron Chang, Flame, Brewer, Tostee, and a few others. Surf photography is amazing.

Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong. They took some pics that none of us will ever take.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

HBOC
357 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 10, 2014 13:04 |  #30

As mentioned, it all depends on the genre of photography one is interested/involved in. I have heard of Bambi Cantrell and Dixie Dixon (Rangefinder magazine ads and articles), but most of the others I have not heard of - but again I am a landscape dude. Art Wolfe, Mark Muench are two that weren't mentioned. Galen Rowell is a HUGE influence on a lot of "new age" landscape photographers. He is what Ansel was in his hey day, but Galen had more technology.

FB (external link)
500px (external link)
Blog (external link)

sponsored links

4,712 views & 0 likes for this thread
Top 10 most mentioned photographers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.