Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 00:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Purchased 6D... and a little disappointed!

dawssvt
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2014 00:32 |  #1

I purchased a 6D last week and got it in on Friday. I primarily photograph weddings and plan to use this alongside my 5DMII for personal and business use.

I have always wanted a second full frame camera to use when shooting weddings without borrowing my father's camera as a backup. As my 5DMII is at 164,xxx for the shutter count, I thought it would be best to get another reliable camera to have while shooting weddings. All I read, it seemed that I would be happy with the 6D when I have been used to my 5DMII.

I did some tests right when I got it on Friday and it seems good - the AWB seems to be a tad different, but that's all. My wife and I are expecting our first baby and we had a baby shower today. 4 months ago, my brother had a baby shower at the same location, so I was comparing the photos that I took today from the ones previously taken at the same location, but with my 5DMII. Post work is similar on both - very slight.

5DMII: 1/125 f/4.0 ISO 1600 80mm (24-105L)

IMAGE: http://dawsontaylorstudios.smugmug.com/Personal/Photography-Business/First-with-the-Tilt-Shift/i-F9tFd3f/0/L/IMG_2802-L.jpg

6D: 1/100 f/4.0 ISO 2500 70mm (24-105L)

IMAGE: http://dawsontaylorstudios.smugmug.com/Personal/Photography-Business/First-with-the-Tilt-Shift/i-nnkCrWR/0/L/IMG_0157-L.jpg

It just seems to me that the image quality is not quite the same and the color is less vibrant on the 6D. At this point, I am leaning towards returning the 6D and buying a used 5dMII for $500 less. Has anyone experienced this?

St. Louis, MO Portrait and Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 07, 2014 00:44 |  #2

"Image Quality" is probably the most abused set of words on this site.

What aspects of the image are you concerned about? The WB?

Were both cameras set on AWB? Did you set a custom WB based on the lighting? Was it lighting which shifts WB?

Is there some other aspect? Sharpness? backgrounds? Noise?

Do you just not like the 6D because it is built "like a toy" or some other subjective thing that nobody is ever likely to change your mind about?

Do you really think that a 5DII is going to have better IQ (however you rate that)?

Just asking. Because neither of the images posted are exactly "high art". So I'd say that both cameras did as good of a job of capturing the scene (which I assume was the only intent). A super minor 3 second WB adjustment would make the colors virtually identical.

Send the 6D back if you feel like it. Sometimes when you get an idea about a piece of equipment in your head it sticks. No matter what people tell you (google confirmation bias). In the end, it may never live up to your expectations and you never know, you might find something "magic" about the 5DII that makes you completely love it (again, refer to confirmation bias).

Not trying to sound rude or anything. Just that the IQ on the 6D is outstanding by most people's standards.

YMMV

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

dawssvt
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2014 00:53 |  #3

Copidosoma wrote in post #17139811 (external link)
"Image Quality" is probably the most abused set of words on this site.

What aspects of the image are you concerned about? The WB?

Were both cameras set on AWB? Did you set a custom WB based on the lighting? Was it lighting which shifts WB?

Is there some other aspect? Sharpness? backgrounds? Noise?

Do you just not like the 6D because it is built "like a toy" or some other subjective thing that nobody is ever likely to change your mind about?

Do you really think that a 5DII is going to have better IQ (however you rate that)?

Just asking. Because neither of the images posted are exactly "high art". So I'd say that both cameras did as good of a job of capturing the scene (which I assume was the only intent). A super minor 3 second WB adjustment would make the colors virtually identical.

Send the 6D back if you feel like it. Sometimes when you get an idea about a piece of equipment in your head it sticks. No matter what people tell you (google confirmation bias). In the end, it may never live up to your expectations and you never know, you might find something "magic" about the 5DII that makes you completely love it (again, refer to confirmation bias).

Not trying to sound rude or anything. Just that the IQ on the 6D is outstanding by most people's standards.

YMMV

They were both shot on AWB and the white balance was adjusted in post. My main two concerns are these: The image does not seem as sharp and the colors are not as vibrant. Yes, this is not the best image for comparison, but I haven't shot anything but this on the 6D.

St. Louis, MO Portrait and Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Smugmug (external link)

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 07, 2014 00:53 |  #4

It doesn't look like the flash exposure was compensated for the 2nd picture as opposed to the first picture which seems to be at +2/3 (i'm guessing this number) and the 6d seems to be set at (-1 exposure-- again making up this number)

The flash seems to be lighting the subjects differently then the 5d mk ii.

I don't think it's the camera's fault.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 07, 2014 01:16 |  #5

The 5D shot was taken at ISO1600 and the second shot at 2500. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always noticed I've list range as I crank the ISO. If this us all you've shot you really need to go out and shoot some more in better light to compare properly.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 07, 2014 01:47 |  #6

I have a 5DII; my son has a 6D - I'd trade him in a heartbeat for his better low light images.

He took some pics at our wedding anniversary in Feb in a dimly lit restrauant - I didn't even bother taking my 5DII out because I couldn't have gotten anything as good as he did.

I'm assuming that you're shooting RAW on both bodies - all it will take is a different preset in PP to have them match - if there is a difference in fact.

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,746 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2014 02:01 |  #7

Spend some time in the 6D thread.

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 07, 2014 06:04 |  #8

dawssvt wrote in post #17139828 (external link)
They were both shot on AWB and the white balance was adjusted in post. My main two concerns are these: The image does not seem as sharp and the colors are not as vibrant. Yes, this is not the best image for comparison, but I haven't shot anything but this on the 6D.

The shot out of the 6D was shot at a higher ISO value which could impact on image quality.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

captainkanji
119 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 07, 2014 08:43 |  #9

Have you tried using a different lens? The 24-105 isn't exactly the sharpest. Try comparing them using a prime.

Canon 6D, EF 135f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8 II USM, EF 50mm f\1.4 USM, EF 40mm f\2.8 STM, 430exII speedlite, Flashbender.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,701 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 07, 2014 09:00 |  #10

dawssvt wrote in post #17139791 (external link)
It just seems to me that the image quality is not quite the same and the color is less vibrant on the 6D. At this point, I am leaning towards returning the 6D and buying a used 5dMII for $500 less. Has anyone experienced this?

sounds like inexperience TBH

if anything, the 6D has the best IQ of all the canons, save the 1Dx.

it's not a big difference, but the 5Dc was good, 5D2 a little better than the 5Dc, and the 6D a little better than the 5D2. High iso past 6400, the 6D has a full stop or more better.

low iso..... no banding that the 5D2 was famous for. Doesnt feel as beefy as the 5D2, but dont confuse that with IQ.

that said, the 5D2 may be better fit for you. 2 of the same bodies really helps in those types of events you shoot. Gets annoying trying to figure out two different cameras during an event..... and when you go home, you've got two sets of photos with a subtle different type of look to them. PP workflow may not be the same.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

ctwatkins
526 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 07, 2014 09:04 |  #11

IMO, 1/100 at 70mm or 80mm is too slow on the shutter speed not to expect camera shakes to potentially degrade IQ. Especially on the 6D, I'd up the shutter speed and the ISO. It's a low light beast, it can take it.

Gear: 5D MKIII * 6D * 35L (1.4) * 135L (2.0) * 24 - 70L (2.8II) * 70 - 200L (2.8ISII) * 200L (2.0IS) * 580 EX * Induro CT213 * PCB AB B800 (X3) * Pocketwizard Plus

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,206 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 07, 2014 09:27 |  #12

flowrider wrote in post #17139839 (external link)
The 5D shot was taken at ISO1600 and the second shot at 2500.

OP, you really can't compare images taken at different settings and expect a fair comparison. If you want to compare IQ, then you need to shoot some series of images in the same light using the same settings. Once you do that, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 6D.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,126 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 07, 2014 09:31 |  #13

Purchase an xrite passport and run that calibration through lightroom. If there is any colour variance the calibration system will/should match your 5dmk2.

Sharpness wise I think your shutter speed is too slow. Kinda appears like you have handshake and the IS didn't compensate well enough. I was trying to look for front/back focus and fail to see it in the photo. I dont think the f/4 lens did a good job in the lighting you shot in. In AWD in low light you can expect it to be perfect even with primes.

I think you should give the 6d a fair chance. The only downfall I dislike about the 6d is the 1/4000 max shutter speed. I prefer more headroom in the shutter speed. I think that was totally intentional for canon to "detune" the cheaper body.

At this point in time I'd rather buy a new 6d instead of a used 5dmk2 simply due to low light performance.

I dont think you've given enough time for experimentation.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

hiketheplanet
650 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 07, 2014 09:38 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #14

The 6D can handle iso 2500 no problem, so I think any IQ diff between that and a 5d2 @1600 is negligible. That said, you are making IQ comparisons under what looks like terrible lighting (mix of flourescents, tungstens, etc). Get out and shoot! And yes, crank the ISO on the 6d to get that shutter speed up. Also, technique. If you're BBF-ing learn to pull the trigger on the shutter as soon as you lock focus. Taking a few shots in quick succession once you've established your composition using this technique goes a long way to getting sharp results.

palad1n
Goldmember
1,756 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 07, 2014 10:15 |  #15

6D is on par with 5dmkII, even better... there is NO major color differences across any modern DSLR from Canon, if they are set properly...
You are not first person i know, who was disappointed by the camera, because of huge hype going around... it´s really difficult to meet over-hyped expectations, which is created by users in first place with their biased reviews like : "this camera is smashing and killing everything on sight and can take photos in total darkness"

6D has currently the best FF sensor from Canon lineup, but still differences are very small between 6D and 5dMKII, so i personally would return your 6D and buy refurbished 5dmkIII, which has much better features, you will actually appreciate.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

sponsored links

12,350 views & 0 likes for this thread
Purchased 6D... and a little disappointed!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.