Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Magazine did not credit my photos

12months
22 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 07, 2014 14:37 |  #1

I supply photos to a particular article writer. There is a stipulation in his submissions to his magazines that the photos I have supplied must be credited to me.

So the magazine came out and and credited the photos to the writer. This is not the first time this magazine has forgotten to credit me. Ironically my name is imbedded in a separate image which is a painting...so, they were fully aware that I was involved both in the stipulations of the article submission and had to have seen the watermark in the painting. I have to assume that someone got confused at the last second and forgot I supplied the photographs despite what the author put in the email.

How to handle this? The magazine only comes out twice a year so there is no way to rectify the error publicly in a timely manner. The writer and I have worked together in the past but he is considering terminating his relationship with this magazine over their general sloppiness in editing his writings in the past...what they did in robbing me of my credits is also factoring into this.

Any advice on what to do about this would be appreciated.

sponsored links
Gary_Evans
859 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 07, 2014 14:43 |  #2

Only photographers look at the credits, no one else cares. Work for payment not for credits

Gary
www.myeventphoto.co.uk (external link)
www.garyevansphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 07, 2014 15:05 |  #3

Do you have a written agreement/contract?

You need to decide how much working for this writer/publication is worth to you.

You could point it out, or the next time they ask you, you could say "I'm sorry, but in the last issue you failed to hold up your end of the bargain, so I will no longer be able to work for credit only."

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 07, 2014 15:14 |  #4

12months wrote in post #17140626 (external link)
I supply photos to a particular article writer. There is a stipulation in his submissions to his magazines that the photos I have supplied must be credited to me.

So the magazine came out and and credited the photos to the writer. This is not the first time this magazine has forgotten to credit me. Ironically my name is imbedded in a separate image which is a painting...so, they were fully aware that I was involved both in the stipulations of the article submission and had to have seen the watermark in the painting. I have to assume that someone got confused at the last second and forgot I supplied the photographs despite what the author put in the email.

How to handle this? The magazine only comes out twice a year so there is no way to rectify the error publicly in a timely manner. The writer and I have worked together in the past but he is considering terminating his relationship with this magazine over their general sloppiness in editing his writings in the past...what they did in robbing me of my credits is also factoring into this.

Any advice on what to do about this would be appreciated.

...as has been mentioned, not being credited means nothing in the real world. It is something you could pursue but the most you could expect is a retraction in the next issue.

And you make a whole lot of assumptions that aren't really warranted. There is an old cliche saying that "when you assume you make an ass out of u and me." Just because "name is imbedded in a separate image" doesn't mean "they were fully aware that you were involved." If you really don't want them to mess up again, don't rely on a third party to submit your images. Do it yourself, and be clear on attribution requirements.

As to what to do? Send them email notifying they got the credits wrong and ask for it to be corrected in the next issue.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

12months
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 07, 2014 15:26 as a reply to  @ MattPharmD's post |  #5

Gary Evans: You are incorrect. Editors look at names and when they see them often enough they remember them. This is how I started to get paid work- by having an arrangement with a writer that supersedes anything with a magazine.
However, I can't physically take the magazine and show it around when my name isn't there!

The issue is NOT with the writer- it is with the magazine.
Several articles are published in each edition and the title of each shows the writer's name and additional photographers who contributed to the individual pieces. This is the 'credit' I am talking about.

MattPharmD: The writer and I have already discussed this and his contract doesn't discuss photography other than it must be credited appropriately. He knows that I am through with the magazine. He has his own issues with them. What I would like to know is how would you tell a magazine nicely that they screwed up. Send an irate email? Berate them on Facebook? Chalk it up to experience? I'm looking for closure :D

12months
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 07, 2014 15:35 |  #6

banquetbear

"...as has been mentioned, not being credited means nothing in the real world. It is something you could pursue but the most you could expect is a retraction in the next issue."

EXACTLY. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing. I will be pursuing it and a retraction but that will not become obvious till much later.

And as for assumptions...I assume people who put together a magazine aren't blind. That's not a 'whole lot'. I saw the submission letter and my name in there as the photographer to be credited- it has clearly been this way since I started working with him. Had I submitted separately this could still have happened as the magazine has started making errors of this kind in the past year. I will send them an email at the least- thanks.

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 07, 2014 15:38 |  #7

Your closure is within yourself. Let it go.

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 07, 2014 16:35 |  #8

Did you get paid? Or was the credit the only form of payment that was negotiated?

If this was a credit-only gig, did you have any sort of retribution or penalty for not being properly credited? Regardless of who's at fault, if there's no penalty for any sort of error (whether intentional or mistaken), then you really have little to stand on.

There was a period of time where a specific magazine client I had continued to credit my photography incorrectly. However, my paychecks continued to show up in the right amount, and they all cleared the bank. Several years later, the people who were responsible for those mistakes have since moved on, and I'm still there. The accounting records showed how much work I was doing for them, and I'm still contributing to this day.

I have never once had a client say that they saw my name in a magazine and ask to either buy my shoot or book me for a gig based on that credit.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

12months
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 08, 2014 00:41 as a reply to  @ JacobPhoto's post |  #9

Thanks for the insights Jacob. I don't have a contract with the magazine- thought that was clear but I guess not.
The question was really how best to tell the editor that he has incompetent people working on the magazine and let him know that they will not get the opportunity to do this to me again.
I have already dealt with the matter.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,601 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 08, 2014 02:14 |  #10

1. Is this a paying gig?
2. Have you (or the writer) spoken to someone at the magazine about this?

If it is a paying gig then it seems silly to blow off a paying client over a worthless credit. It would be much better to discuss it in a professional manner and resolve it so it doesn't happen again.

If it isn't a paying gig then it isn't a professional deal so why expect them to act in a professional manner. It may sound odd but a company will respect you more, the more you charge them. If they aren't paying then they will value your work (and you) at zero.

If you want them to remember to credit you make it worth their while to remember. Put in place a licensing agreement/contract with a cash penalty for failing to credit you.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 08, 2014 04:01 |  #11

A lot of fuss about a worthless credit. If it meant that much to you, you'd have had a contract in place and financial penalties for not including it.

Peter

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Gallery: 257 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 08, 2014 07:29 |  #12

Your beef is with the writer, not the magazine, because you're supplying the writer with the photos.

The writer should be taking the issue up with the magazine, not you...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Gallery: 257 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 08, 2014 07:30 |  #13

JacobPhoto wrote in post #17140849 (external link)
I have never once had a client say that they saw my name in a magazine and ask to either buy my shoot or book me for a gig based on that credit.

THAT.

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 08, 2014 08:45 |  #14

12months wrote in post #17141523 (external link)
Thanks for the insights Jacob. I don't have a contract with the magazine- thought that was clear but I guess not.
The question was really how best to tell the editor that he has incompetent people working on the magazine and let him know that they will not get the opportunity to do this to me again.
I have already dealt with the matter.

I'd have sent them a invoice just to get their attention. Who knows, maybe you would have been paid? ; )

You now own the copyright to all your work. Good news for Canadian photographers

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 08, 2014 16:18 |  #15

12months wrote in post #17140739 (external link)
banquetbear

EXACTLY. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=NdUD-jcr104 (external link)

sponsored links

2,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Magazine did not credit my photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.