Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Confused as to studio setup

dansmail26
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 07, 2014 20:10 |  #1

My wife would like to set up a small (first time) studio and have been looking at the $100 ebay kits with white and black backdrops and continuous lighting. She is not going to be shooting professionally, it's mostly for her enjoyment and helping out some friends. She have done some outdoor shoots this summer, like to do more this winter.
Am I better off maybe buying some umbrellas, reflectors and a remote flash or getting a kit?
here's an example of her last shot.
Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II

sponsored links
dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 08, 2014 07:50 |  #2

Any ideas?

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 08, 2014 08:48 as a reply to  @ dansmail26's post |  #3

budget?

you generally get what you pay for.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 08, 2014 11:34 |  #4

I see the kits are in the neighborhood of $120, but if that's a waste of money then I would (reluctantly) spend more. I don't want to be stupid and just buy it because it's cheap.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 08, 2014 11:45 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Backdrop, lights and stands for $120?? Even for Chinese stuff —which is usually already junk— that's definitely junky.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 08, 2014 12:02 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #6

Junk, I was in the market for a set up and looked real hard at that stuff. Continuous light is not easy to work with, if you are shooting kids its useless. Cheap stands and backdrops can be worked with. Cheap lighting is well cheap lighting. You could probably part together your own kit 2.5x that and have a good kit. A YN Flash and an umbrella or softbox. There are cheap alternatives to backdrops. Check Amazon wearhouse deals for a set of lightstand/backdrop supports (I have a set of 9.5' cowboy stands and just purchased another set, they work great in my studio using speedlights and modifiers).

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 08, 2014 12:11 |  #7

YN flashes, triggers, light stands and umbrella's will go further, to start with. use them indoors and out. Check into alien bee's if she gets serious.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 08, 2014 13:15 as a reply to  @ ksbal's post |  #8

feel free to pm me if you would like to chat about my setup which I have been putting together on the tightest budget I could.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 08, 2014 13:25 |  #9

Search Craigsist. Sometimes you can get decent lights on the cheap there. Right now there is a guy in my area selling a set of Dynalight heads and a power pack (1 pack, 4 heads) for a few hundred dollars. Otherwise I'd recommend you look into getting her one light and a reflector to start with. You can get an Alien Bee for a few hundred dollars and buy into a system you can grow into, or you can get something like the Flashpoint 320 for $100 and have a solid monolight on the cheap. As far as light modifiers a single softbox should be a good starting point. Any which way you slice it however, it's not going to be cheap.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 08, 2014 19:01 |  #10

ksbal wrote in post #17142287 (external link)
YN flashes, triggers, light stands and umbrella's will go further, to start with. use them indoors and out. Check into alien bee's if she gets serious.

So it sounds like this might be the way to go. Would her YN flash fit into any umbrella or are there certain ones I need to look for. And I guess I need to pick us some remote triggers.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 08, 2014 19:09 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

You need to purchase umbrella brackets (external link).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 09, 2014 09:55 |  #12

Or even better, get some of these:

S type Bracket (external link)

I have the ones Alveric points out, and they do do the job, but you never have the flash where it can point to the center of the umbrella like you can with the S bracket, and the S bracket you can use either umbrella or softbox on with (in this case) a bowens mount. I'm going to be getting some of the S-type so I can buy softboxes to use either with flash or my strobes.

For triggers, either the rf-603 II or the yn-622's will do fine , the first are all manual, the second will do both manual and ettl. they are both trancievers, so if one goes, you just replace with another.. they know which they are based on where a signal comes from (foot or air or where plugged in)

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 09, 2014 11:08 as a reply to  @ ksbal's post |  #13

I was recently in the same boat as far as not knowing much at all about off-camera flash, so I understand the confusion. You can easily start out with just one speedlight and do a lot with it (which is what I did), but I soon found myself wanting to be able to experiment with two. Thankfully it's not very expensive.

Here's my suggestions to get started (Obviously there a a gazillion ways to go, this is pretty much what I have. It's not too expensive and it works) :

2 - YN-565 speedlights (unless you need HSS, in which case you can go with the more expensive YN-568)

2 - PBL 8' light stands

2 - Flash Zebra #0020 Umbrella Adapters

3 - YN-622C transceivers

2 - Westcott 43" white shoot through umbrellas

Also, have you seen this lighting tutorial?

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com/2006/03/lightin​g-101.html (external link)

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 09, 2014 11:56 |  #14

I'm about the cheapest person you will meet. In the for sale section here I found two crazy old sunpack flashes here for $25. Waltzing through GoodWill I found a single background stand, obviously not having a pair makes it pretty useless to most people but for $6 it'll work as a Light stand for me. Also picked up $5 tripod. Bought 3 YN603s used for ~$30 ebay, and a couple used no-name umbrellas+brackets again in the for sale section here, ~$30.

All told I've got a pretty decent 2 light setup for under $100.

No I'm not creating high art with this. To control light power my only option is distance to subject (well it's full or 1/16 on the sunpacks). Probably the biggest horror, the setup doesn't "look professional". Recycle times can be annoyingly slow. But it's fun and the results are pretty good.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 10, 2014 11:01 |  #15

Sunpacks - you can use the autothyristor if you can point it right(works great for bare rim)

but there is a better alternative...

canon 540EZ (manual 1/2 to 1/128)

****eyes dart back and forth and melts back into the shadows whispering 'you didn't hear this from me'***

sponsored links

3,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
Confused as to studio setup
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.