Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Sep 2014 (Monday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

creepy old guy photographing miggle school girls

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 08, 2014 20:30 |  #1

Not sure where this fits best in the forum, so I put it here.

My son just started middle school and while being stuck in drop off/pick up traffic I've twice now seen an old man behaving strangely. First he stood there with a small dog/puppy, he stood in a flower bed and just looked odd, like the proverbial "want some candy, little girl?" guy.

Today I saw him standing a bit back in the shade under a tree, taking photos of girls walking home after school. When he saw me he put his camera down quickly. This does not seem like grampa waiting for his grand child at all. It might be nothing, but it had the vibe of something off to me.

Now, it's perfectly legal to do what he does (if it is indeed what I think he does) but it's still creepy and not right IMO.

I tried to take a photo of him once I came out of the pickup loop, but he had left. I will certainly document him next time.

What would you do in this situation? I know it's one of those "we can't do something until he does something" situations but I'd have a serious problem with some old guy taking photos of my girl in short summer outfits.

I will send a note to the principal, the school certainly needs to know, and I'll make my friends aware as well.

Not the first time I saw something like this, once caught an other old guy taking photos of kids on the playground and he was there alone. Once I took a picture of him with my big white lens he took off rather quickly. And an other time I caught a guy at safeway peeking up women's skirts at check out, with a small mirror he had put into his shopping basket. That was before camera phones. I had him thrown out of the store.

Any ideas on how to deal with this, if it's really a creep into 12 year old girls in shorts and skirts?

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

sponsored links
Tiberius
Goldmember
2,544 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 08, 2014 20:39 |  #2

Inform the local police as well as the school. Better to have them check it out and it's nothing than to leave them out and he ends up hurting some kid.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 08, 2014 20:43 |  #3

Likely using or trying to use dog as bait for a grab and run. I would have called cops.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

phantelope
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 08, 2014 22:03 |  #4

I'll alert the principal, but I had the same impression with the little dog. Also told other parents to be on the look out and document if they see him.

losangelino
935 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 08, 2014 22:23 |  #5

Yes. Please call the cops next time and alert the school. Wow you run into these guys a lot. Or you're more aware than the next. Good keeping an eye out.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,605 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 08, 2014 23:01 |  #6

Keep trying to get photos that show his face clearly enough for ID. Make notes of other aspects for a description: height, any visible tattoos, and all that. Give all this to your contact at the school.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 09, 2014 09:57 |  #7

Call the police, from your description its possible he is registered and not allowed near schools.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 09, 2014 12:18 |  #8

My first thought was to wonder what the heck the school dress code is that would allow such short skirts that a guy would be standing there to take photos of them.

I would inform the school nd let them deal with the situation. if they feel that the police are an appropriate action then let them do it. if they feel that school security can handle the situation then let them do it.

phantelope
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 09, 2014 12:21 |  #9

I did send an e-mail to the principal. A friend of mine also saw him, "I've seen that guy!!! He has a black little dog. I assumed he lived across the street. I noticed that he was in the bushes and acting weird. I didn't see a camera." So it's not just me. I'll set up my phone as dashboard camera from now on, don't want to be too obvious (never know if he's also a gun nut or decides to follow me home etc). Just didn't feel right, not like a grandparent waiting, more like a guy lurking around. I checked the sex offender database for my close area, only three and not him, but that doesn't mean he travels to different schools etc.

phantelope
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 09, 2014 12:45 |  #10

apparently he's been doing that for years, according to an other mom. He parks his little dog on the sidewalk and holds the leash from behind a trash can, standing there smoking. And he's taking photos now (or for years?). I'm very much not ok with that, but fear nothing can be done. But the idea of my daughter ending up on his computer screen is far from entertaining.

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,351 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 09, 2014 12:55 |  #11

rick_reno wrote in post #17144047 (external link)
Call the police, from your description its possible he is registered and not allowed near schools.

I would do the same but there is a boatload of others that would think nothing is wrong with this behavior.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1388280
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1365541

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,085 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 09, 2014 14:20 |  #12

mikeinctown wrote in post #17144297 (external link)
My first thought was to wonder what the heck the school dress code is that would allow such short skirts that a guy would be standing there to take photos of them.

You honestly think it's the school's dress code that's to blame for situations such as this?

flickr (external link)

phantelope
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 09, 2014 14:33 |  #13

yeah, not clear what that has to do with it. Dress code is simple and straight forward, shorts/skirts must at least be as long as where the tip of your thumb is when your arm hangs down, no spaghetti straps, etc. But that's besides the point, he's a slimy cretin. Unfortunately I doubt something can be done, maybe parents need to mobilize and block his view to make him go away. A ring of dads staring at him, something like that. No word back from the school yet.

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,085 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 09, 2014 14:53 |  #14

phantelope wrote in post #17144548 (external link)
yeah, not clear what that has to do with it. Dress code is simple and straight forward, shorts/skirts must at least be as long as where the tip of your thumb is when your arm hangs down, no spaghetti straps, etc. But that's besides the point, he's a slimy cretin. Unfortunately I doubt something can be done, maybe parents need to mobilize and block his view to make him go away. A ring of dads staring at him, something like that. No word back from the school yet.

Exactly. Could we excuse the same man acting the same way at a public pool? "I mean, the girls are dressed provocatively." It's that type of thinking (and, as a less hyperbolic example, statements like the comment I quoted) that shifts the focus from the real problem in situations like this.

Have you checked you local predator database? Many of them have a booking photos. Perhaps if he's listed he is actually breaking the law by being within a certain distance of a school. It's a long shot, but probably worth checking out.

flickr (external link)

phantelope
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 09, 2014 14:56 |  #15

I looked just locally to my zip code, only 3 listed. Might expand that once I hear back from the principal and other parents. Or just e-mail a pic to the police.

sponsored links

8,969 views & 0 likes for this thread
creepy old guy photographing miggle school girls
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.