Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2014 (Monday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #500 Fresh Produce

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 01, 2014 17:48 |  #1

Challenge #500 -Fresh Produce

This week I'm looking for fresh fruit and/or vegetables. I'm thinking of harvested produce as opposed to fruit or veggies still on the tree/vine/bush, but I'm open to anything you have. It can be your own still life, a market display, a grocery or any kind of setting. It can be many or only one. It can be in a basket, a barrel, or in a bunch on someone's head on the way to market. Feel free to be creative in interpreting. Hope you have fun!

Raven-Public Market Produce Stand: This shot is what I was picturing when I set the challenge. Color, texture and fun. I love the little sign in the lower corner reminding me not to sample those pistachios. I really like this shot, your sideways perspective, the sharpness and the true color, even under artificial lighting. Great shot!

Marie-Pineapple with a Twist: Awesome fruit humor! Who knew? Creative carrots, citrus... melons. How clever of you to grab this shot! Right place at the right time. I wish the glass rim hadn't cut the picture, but I don't see how you could've avoided it. Wonderful! Thank you.

Sibil-Fresh off the Ground: Well, this is an offbeet picture! On the other hand you might claim it's unbeetable! I really like the unexpected colors and texture. Your focus and depth of field is perfect and those beets are a really interesting subject, backed up with the blue green collards or whatever that is and the green in back of that. I really appreciate this photo! Thanks.

Needsnow-garlic: Wow. I'm still having a hard time deciding if this is a full color photo or some sort of sepiatone or monochrome! What an awesome photo. I love the focus, the texture, and the color, or lack of it. This is what I was hoping for when I asked for creativity!

rpolitsr-guanabana: A pyramid of soursop. You picked one of my favorite fruits. I was introduced to it as an adult and I instantly loved it. I tried to con my kids into helping me make soursop ice cream. The attempt was unsuccessful, but tasty. I love the perspective of your shot, shooting from a low POV up and across the stack. Perfect focus, great colors, and interesting subject. Am I also seeing papaya and plantain? Fun shot! Thank you.

Maureen-ready for picking: I am SO hungry for grapes right now. The lighting is perfect! The color is superb. The composition is tremendous. I'm thinking maybe it's representative of where you live? Lovely. Thank you

Well, it's a coin flip really. I like every one of these shots. But I need to hand off the baton, so here is the podium:

Third- Needsnow:Garlic

Second-Raven:Public Market Produce Stand

First-Sibil-Fresh off the ground

Congrats to all and thank you for making my job so difficult!

Special congrats on completing the 500th G-series Challenge. Many thanks to that faithful cadre who've kept it going over the years. Newbies like me appreciate the fun and challenge to use our G-series cameras to take better and more creative photos, but we haven't put in the hours or displayed the chops that many of you have. Thank you for being a founder, or a creative force in keeping this challenge going.

Steve

Post until Monday noon GMT, 9/8/14

Photo Submissions
Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12 ,G1X, G1x Mkii, G15, G16) or Pro 1 only.
-
Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
-
Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
-
Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
-
Posting --
One photo per photographer in each challenge.
Photo Title in the message subject line.
Camera model.
EXIF data, if you like.
Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
-
Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
-
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sponsored links
Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 03, 2014 23:01 |  #2

Public Market Produce Stand

G9

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v120/p1020335352-5.jpg

~ Jim

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 07, 2014 04:42 as a reply to  @ Raven's post |  #3

'Pineapple with a Twist'

Pro1
1/80 f2.4

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/157276174/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,502 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 07, 2014 06:51 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #4

fresh off the ground

G11

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i562.photobucke​t.com …irook/IMG_5382p​roduce.jpg (external link)

Needsnow
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 07, 2014 09:47 |  #5

Garlic

G1x Mk2

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS R

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 07, 2014 19:17 |  #6

guanábana (soursop)

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/500_guanabana_CRW_1350_960.jpg

poweshot Pro1

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 08, 2014 02:28 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #7

Ready for Picking

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Spoco57
THREAD ­ STARTER
343 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 08, 2014 13:03 |  #8

Challenge closed. Be back this evening with results.

Steve

Spoco57
THREAD ­ STARTER
343 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 08, 2014 20:00 as a reply to  @ Spoco57's post |  #9

Winners up. Congrats, and thanks to all.

Steve

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,502 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 08, 2014 20:16 as a reply to  @ Spoco57's post |  #10

Thank you Steve, and specially for the very nice and complete analysis of all the pics. I wish I could do such a good job.

The new challenge will be up before long. I am taking mom to dinner first. :)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,502 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 08, 2014 21:19 as a reply to  @ Sibil's post |  #11

New challenge is now posted.

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 09, 2014 01:17 |  #12

Congratulations Sibil, Raven and Needsnow, well deserved top places.
It was an interesting challenge, Spoco57, thanks for it.

I went to the market on Sunday afternoon, too late to find ordered displays and too late to see the best fruits on them. Only natural light through the translucent roof in a somewhat overcast afternoon so I was in desperate need of higher ISO :). Picture Exif: zoom at 90mm equivalent, ISO 100, 1/25 sec. at f4.0, IS is not available.
At home, we always had soursop and blackberry (mulberry?) ice cream, but I do not remember seeing the soursop fruit as in the picture until late in high school.
At left, there are bananas, coconuts, green plantain (plátano verde)The fruits behind the soursops are not papaya, they are babaco, of the same botanic order and family, but different genus and species, :rolleyes: the fruit inside is white, almost transparent with a totally different flavor. No black seeds either.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 09, 2014 04:04 |  #13

Thanks for the 2nd place nod, Spocco. Thanks for hosting a mouth watering contest. :-)
And congrats to Sibil and Needsnow.
Some very nice photos this week. Must look into these soursops. They look quite interesting!

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 09, 2014 14:17 |  #14

Congrats to the winners! We have Farmer's Markets & produce stands all over the place here but the grapes are ripe for picking and I could not stand to pass them up. These vineyards are about 1 1/2 miles away from my house. :)

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Trumper
958 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 10, 2014 15:14 |  #15

Well done everyone.I never managed to get anyway near anything that resembled the competition subject this week.
Cracking photos ,well done everyone :)

sponsored links

3,947 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #500 Fresh Produce
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.