Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Sep 2014 (Monday) 12:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's on your walls at home?

mully4235
64 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 08, 2014 12:12 |  #1

Just wondering what everyone has for art/photos on their walls. I have a larger wall that I wanted to hang photos on that I took. Mostly my kids. My husband went to China on a business trip last march, and although the few pics he managed to take were not very good from an old point and shoot camera and taken through the windows of his hotel room, it was still a once in a lifetime trip for him and I'd like to hang one of them up. My MIL thinks it's weird and remarked that it would be different if he was in the picture, but he's not, it's just a photo of the city, and she said why would I hang it up, just to prove that he was there? I said no, it's because it's a memory of a place that was completely new and foreign and exciting to him, a place he will probably never go back to. Am I weird for wanting to hang one up? Apparently she thinks every photo of a place should have someone in the picture. I also wanted to put some up of our Washington DC trip but again, it's just the monuments, not us with the monuments. Should I not?

sponsored links
Tedder
380 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 08, 2014 14:18 |  #2

Yes, it's weird to hang photos that include no people. You should never do that. ;)

Seriously, I have five of my photos on our walls. Two (HERE (external link) and HERE (external link) on Flickr) include no people. Three (HERE (external link), HERE (external link), and HERE (external link)) include at least one person.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 08, 2014 14:50 |  #3

My wife has a few walls that she picks the pictures for, and 99% of them are vacation pictures with people. The walls that I am in charge of have NO people at all in them and I have 2 dozen or so images on the wall I am in charge of. We are re doing our bedroom and she just picked 6 more images of mine that do not include people, just places we have visited.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,374 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 08, 2014 15:19 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #4

Most of the photographs on our walls are family groups, but they aren't the main decor.

I have three photographs of the California coast on a pony wall dividing the kitchen and family room. One of Mesa Arch in a hallway.

About six macro shots of bugs, and one hummingbird shot, on the walls of my den.

I have no vacation pictures, per se, of buildings (with or without people), on my walls. But you should do whatever pleases you and the husband; to heck with your MIL.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Sep 08, 2014 16:13 |  #5

As an active traveller and photographer we have a vast collection of wildlife, cityscape, natural settings, mountains, lakes, street scenes, architecture and people from all over the world.

Currently none of it is on a wall in the house. Guess I need to be analyzed for not hanging my work. Acutally we renovated the interior and have been pretty lazy about the art stuff yet, just a couple of Robert Batemen prints up.

But as to the OP's question: I have a preference for work that does not include people. People are generally more interesting to talk to, not look at.

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

LV ­ Moose
23,374 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 08, 2014 16:19 |  #6

JAZZ D.P.G. wrote in post #17142728 (external link)
People are generally more interesting to talk to, not look at.

You're obviously not looking at the right people ;)

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 08, 2014 16:28 |  #7

Our master closet has some very um... interesting people to look at hanging on the walls. Lucky me my wife also believes the female body is a beautiful thing.

LV ­ Moose
23,374 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 08, 2014 16:37 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #8

^ sweet deal.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Sep 09, 2014 05:23 |  #9

LV Moose wrote in post #17142738 (external link)

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17142756 (external link)
Our master closet has some very um... interesting people to look at hanging on the walls.

So after looking at these photos for 10 seconds they become just something else hanging on the wall that provides no memory or personal response.

If the photo were family related and involves a particular event memory, I'd put it in an album.

Scenery/wildlife provoke memory of events and also could be art to visitors.

Yes, people pictures can be artistic, but that is not my interest. And this falls in line with the OP question.

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

LV ­ Moose
23,374 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2014 06:33 |  #10

LV Moose wrote in post #17142738 (external link)

JAZZ D.P.G. wrote in post #17143720 (external link)
So after looking at these photos for 10 seconds they become just something else hanging on the wall that provides no memory or personal response.

I was responding to your statement in jest, and it had nothing to do with photographs, necessarily.

Lighten up.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 09, 2014 08:20 |  #11

A little levity "leviteth" the whole lump.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,630 posts
Gallery: 604 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 09, 2014 11:00 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #12

On the living room walls it's all paintings, with a mix of framed photos (architecture, flowers) standing on the floor against the walls for want of hanging space.

In the bedroom a couple of Man Ray posters.

In the dining room a B/W still life

In my workplace office photos of jazz musicians, some of which are friends. Plus a hanging space where I change small photo series round according to what I took over the past few years (street, carnival, a graffiti festival).

People in the street or at events are ok for me, but personally I'm not a fan of family photographs.

My advice: just do it and keep an open mind, change 'em for something else when you feel like it.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 11, 2014 21:56 as a reply to  @ scriveyn's post |  #13

Just one of many walls. Last count I have 32 pictures scattered around the house.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 11, 2014 22:07 |  #14

Nice, Jurgen!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2014 22:15 |  #15

mully4235 wrote in post #17142288 (external link)
Just wondering what everyone has for art/photos on their walls. I have a larger wall that I wanted to hang photos on that I took. Mostly my kids. My husband went to China on a business trip last march, and although the few pics he managed to take were not very good from an old point and shoot camera and taken through the windows of his hotel room, it was still a once in a lifetime trip for him and I'd like to hang one of them up. My MIL thinks it's weird and remarked that it would be different if he was in the picture, but he's not, it's just a photo of the city, and she said why would I hang it up, just to prove that he was there? I said no, it's because it's a memory of a place that was completely new and foreign and exciting to him, a place he will probably never go back to. Am I weird for wanting to hang one up? Apparently she thinks every photo of a place should have someone in the picture. I also wanted to put some up of our Washington DC trip but again, it's just the monuments, not us with the monuments. Should I not?

Your mother in law sounds like my mom. :lol: My mom sees photography as a means of remembering that you were at one time standing in front of something. :lol::o Getting all "artsy" with the photos just annoys her. As for me, I have pictures of my girls lining the hallways and a still life in the downstairs bathroom. Other than that we pretty much stick to original artwork (paintings) in the house. I'm hoping to change that soon however. . . . . .

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,656 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's on your walls at home?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.