Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 11:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sunset at Fish-Eye

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 09, 2014 11:29 |  #1

Fish-Eye is an underwater observation chamber at the end of a long walkway out over Piti Bay in Guam. This near-sunset looked like it might make a nice scene. 5-frames with 1 stop between HDR hand held Lumix GH3 ISO 200 28mm eqv. C&C Welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
harihacker
243 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 09, 2014 11:48 |  #2

Really Nice.. I like it..

Harihacker
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62853370@N06/ (external link)
https://500px.com/hari​hacker (external link)
Canon 6D || Canon EF 70 - 210 f4 || Canon EF 85mm f1.8 || Helios 44-2 58mm f2.0 :cool:

cameragal1
313 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 09, 2014 12:37 |  #3

beeuuutiful!

Diane

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,494 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 09, 2014 15:25 |  #4

Very nice. And that's from a non-fan of sunsets.

You might add just a bit of exposure and contrast to the walkway and structure. It seems a overwhelmed by that dramatic sky.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

ejenner
Goldmember
3,723 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 09, 2014 22:10 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #5

Sky is a little 'crazy' for me. More like 'busy' than 'overdone' though.

One thing that did occur to me is weather you considered/tried for something more at the bottom on the frame. You have the few reeds on the left and I'm assuming any more just looked messy, or you couldn't get the sky you wanted in. Did you think about dropping in a stone before taking a shot? Just an idea I might have tried after getting the 'main' shot.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,079 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 10, 2014 11:46 |  #6

Nice scene. :)

The sky and water are dramatic, but appear to have been overly processed with tonal contrast. The range of tones in the sky is just too much.

Also I like the foreground foliage, but there needs to be a bit more of it.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 10, 2014 12:09 |  #7

First off I like it...mostly. However! I am not certain of how much latitude you had to move around fro composing this shot, but just like random branches in the foreground, random grass etc is just as deadly o the shot. If you have the chance someday go back and take a look from a position left of where you were. Then composing te shot (sans vegetation) such that the pir extends almost to the right edge of your shot. Place it near the horizontal centerline, yeah I think this is one of those times when dead-center horizon is called fro. What that would do is use the pier to deparate the world of water from the world of sky.

What they hey, worth a shot. pun intended ;)

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 11, 2014 10:12 |  #8

harihacker wrote in post #17144239 (external link)
Really Nice.. I like it..

Thanks Hari

cameragal1 wrote in post #17144316 (external link)
beeuuutiful!Diane

thankee cameragal!

AZGeorge wrote in post #17144651 (external link)
Very nice. And that's from a non-fan of sunsets.
I appreciate that from a non-sunsetter!

You might add just a bit of exposure and contrast to the walkway and structure. It seems a overwhelmed by that dramatic sky.

Thanks, I'll have a go at it.

ejenner wrote in post #17145327 (external link)
Sky is a little 'crazy' for me. More like 'busy' than 'overdone' though.

One thing that did occur to me is weather you considered/tried for something more at the bottom on the frame. You have the few reeds on the left and I'm assuming any more just looked messy, or you couldn't get the sky you wanted in. Did you think about dropping in a stone before taking a shot? Just an idea I might have tried after getting the 'main' shot.

I agree that the sky was indeed crazy. It had been storming about an hour before so the sky was clean and clear. The idea of casting a stone is very creative - I wish I'd thought of it. I'll save it for next time. Thanks.

David Arbogast wrote in post #17146221 (external link)
Nice scene. :)

The sky and water are dramatic, but appear to have been overly processed with tonal contrast. The range of tones in the sky is just too much.

Also I like the foreground foliage, but there needs to be a bit more of it.

Didereaux wrote in post #17146255 (external link)
First off I like it...mostly. However! I am not certain of how much latitude you had to move around fro composing this shot, but just like random branches in the foreground, random grass etc is just as deadly o the shot. If you have the chance someday go back and take a look from a position left of where you were. Then composing te shot (sans vegetation) such that the pir extends almost to the right edge of your shot. Place it near the horizontal centerline, yeah I think this is one of those times when dead-center horizon is called fro. What that would do is use the pier to deparate the world of water from the world of sky.

What they hey, worth a shot. pun intended ;)

Thanks - good ideas there. I was in a bit of a rush. So next time out I'll look for a better angle when there's a decent sunset.

-- Image Editing OK --

mojo_plasma
108 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 17, 2014 12:56 |  #9

I Love this!
It almost comes across as a composite.
But a great looking shot!!

M. Kevin M.
Canon EOS Rebel XS 1000D
Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Canon EFS 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 (Kit)
Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III

sponsored links

2,290 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sunset at Fish-Eye
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.