Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Sep 2014 (Monday) 21:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first Canon!

snegron
279 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 08, 2014 21:49 |  #1

Interesting thing happened to me recently. For many years I have used Nikon equipment (since about 1984) and accumulated many non-pro lenses. My most "recent" DSLR was a D200.

Anyway, while I like my old equipment I needed something lightweight for travel. I ventured into the mirrorless world first with an Olympus EPL2, then with a Panasonic G5. Both had smaller sensors than what I preferred and the EPL2 turned out to be defective (battery overheated, front grip pealed off within the first week, etc.) The G5 was frustratingly complicated, but I stuck with it until I figured out how to get somewhat useable images.

Last weekend while at a theme park I dropped my G5. :( It suffered a nasty ding on the bottom plate and the focus ring of the kit lens chipped. My wife seeing how bummed out I was gave me the thumbs up to get another camera. My maximum allowed budget was $700.

My ideal camera would have to be lightweight (size didn't matter much as I have large hands), built-in viewfinder, decent IQ and preferably an articulating LCD. Since most of my lenses are older Nikon AF-D lenses, I would have to get a camera with a couple of kit lenses no matter what.

So, after much research I narrowed it down to either an entry level Nikon or Canon DSLR. I went to my local big name electronics store and handled both systems. I ended up liking the T3i the most as it was a perfect fit for my hands! I purchased the T3i with two kit lenses (18-55 and 75-300).

This is my first Canon! :) I just charged up the battery, set the time/date and started to fiddle around with the settings. Looks like I have plenty to learn about this cool little camera! It feels almost like I'm learning to speak a foreign language, but I'm looking to have fun in the process!

Any known quirks/suggestions/tip​s about the T3i?

p.s. I joined here about two years ago but never got the chance to purchase a Canon. Now hopefully I'll be here much more frequently. :)

sponsored links
hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Sep 08, 2014 22:13 |  #2

Congrats on the camera! The Rebel T3i is a great camera, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Tips? Setup "back button focus" on your camera (google that if you're not sure what it is). Also, the swivel screen is great. I always found it amazingly useful on my 60D, and it's the one feature I really wish my 6d had. Cheers, and happy shooting!

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 08, 2014 22:47 |  #3

hiketheplanet wrote in post #17143359 (external link)
Congrats on the camera! The Rebel T3i is a great camera, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Tips? Setup "back button focus" on your camera (google that if you're not sure what it is). Also, the swivel screen is great. I always found it amazingly useful on my 60D, and it's the one feature I really wish my 6d had. Cheers, and happy shooting!

Thanks! I will definitely look into "back button focus". It has been many years since I have been this thrilled about learning how to use a new camera! :)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,247 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Sep 08, 2014 22:47 as a reply to  @ hiketheplanet's post |  #4

Congratulations, great set-up you've got there. Be sure to post some pics for us in the photo-sharing sections of these boards.:)

Mark

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,393 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 09, 2014 06:01 |  #5

Great camera! However the lenses, they can be an issue. Is the 18-55 the IS version? Also, you may be better served trading out the 75-300 for the 55-250. The STM versions of the 18-55 IS and 55-250 make for a great starter set of lenses. Congrats!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

palad1n
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 09, 2014 06:16 |  #6

Enjoy your new camera!
Swivel screen saves you a lot from getting dirty while lying on the ground for low angle shots:)

As first non-kit lens, I recommend amazing Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens, but all STM versions of lenses are pretty solid.

For start though, second version of stabilized version18-55 (IS2) is good enough to make amazing shots!

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 09, 2014 14:04 |  #7

rrblint wrote in post #17143417 (external link)
Congratulations, great set-up you've got there. Be sure to post some pics for us in the photo-sharing sections of these boards.:)

Most definitely! :) As soon as I figure out how to select the AF points...:D

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 09, 2014 14:14 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17143737 (external link)
Great camera! However the lenses, they can be an issue. Is the 18-55 the IS version? Also, you may be better served trading out the 75-300 for the 55-250. The STM versions of the 18-55 IS and 55-250 make for a great starter set of lenses. Congrats!

Thanks! I believe so, the lens is an 18-55mm 3.5/5.6 IS II. The other is a 75-300mm 4/5.6 III (I'm guessing it's not an IS version). Funny thing is that they were originally going to sell me the kit with the 55-250, but I actually insisted on the 75-300 mostly because I thought it was a newer design. I should have done my homework better before going to Best Buy :(

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 09, 2014 14:28 |  #9

palad1n wrote in post #17143755 (external link)
Enjoy your new camera!
Swivel screen saves you a lot from getting dirty while lying on the ground for low angle shots:)

As first non-kit lens, I recommend amazing Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens, but all STM versions of lenses are pretty solid.

For start though, second version of stabilized version18-55 (IS2) is good enough to make amazing shots!

Thanks! :) I was looking at smaller primes like a 28mm and 35mm, but wow are they pricey!!

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 09, 2014 15:06 as a reply to  @ snegron's post |  #10

As future advice, do research here on POTN, then buy from the "big 3" on the internet (Amazon, B&H, Adorama) or buy used here in the POTN classifieds.

Amazon, B&H, and Adorama will all basically have the same prices, and will be cheaper than Best Buy and big box stores, plus you avoid sales tax through Adorama and B&H (assuming you don't live in NY).

The 28 and 35mm primes you mention are great pieces of glass for the money, a good value for most people. You can spend ridiculous amounts of money on more expensive primes...

Of those two, I'd probably go for the 35 f/2 IS. Being a stop faster than the f/2.8, it also sports IS which is nice for low-light stills, and video. I had it, and loved it. Many here refer to the 35 as a "gem" which translates to "great image quality, at a reasonable price."

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 09, 2014 15:58 |  #11

hiketheplanet wrote in post #17144607 (external link)
As future advice, do research here on POTN, then buy from the "big 3" on the internet (Amazon, B&H, Adorama) or buy used here in the POTN classifieds.

Amazon, B&H, and Adorama will all basically have the same prices, and will be cheaper than Best Buy and big box stores, plus you avoid sales tax through Adorama and B&H (assuming you don't live in NY).

The 28 and 35mm primes you mention are great pieces of glass for the money, a good value for most people. You can spend ridiculous amounts of money on more expensive primes...

Of those two, I'd probably go for the 35 f/2 IS. Being a stop faster than the f/2.8, it also sports IS which is nice for low-light stills, and video. I had it, and loved it. Many here refer to the 35 as a "gem" which translates to "great image quality, at a reasonable price."

Thanks! I usually buy most of my stuff through B&H, but this time I made the mistake of walking into Best Buy just to handle the T3i. The salesperson got me with the price match; he matched the same price they had at Sam's Club across the street (which also happened to be the same price in B&H).

I ended up paying $39 in taxes (at least $20 more than what I would have paid at B&H), but it was a moment of weakness on my part; instant gratification knowing I could have it immediately! :)

I'm thinking about returning the 75-300 as it was only $99. If they give me the whole $99 back, then I will return it. If not, I'll keep it and suffer in silence until I can scrape up more cash to buy a nicer lens.

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 09, 2014 16:06 |  #12

snegron wrote in post #17144707 (external link)
Thanks! I usually buy most of my stuff through B&H, but this time I made the mistake of walking into Best Buy just to handle the T3i. The salesperson got me with the price match; he matched the same price they had at Sam's Club across the street (which also happened to be the same price in B&H).

I ended up paying $39 in taxes (at least $20 more than what I would have paid at B&H), but it was a moment of weakness on my part; instant gratification knowing I could have it immediately! :)

I'm thinking about returning the 75-300 as it was only $99. If they give me the whole $99 back, then I will return it. If not, I'll keep it and suffer in silence until I can scrape up more cash to buy a nicer lens.

I don't see why they wouldn't give you a full refund... I'm sure they will. I would honestly think about picking up the 50mm f/1.8 or the 40mm f/2.8 so you can really squeeze some image quality out of your t3i. I started with an 18-135 kit lens that was always just ho-hum for me, but picking up the nifty fifty (50 f/1.8) it opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities, not to mention how happy I was with my IQ which was always so frustrating on my kit lens.

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 09, 2014 16:48 |  #13

hiketheplanet wrote in post #17144722 (external link)
I don't see why they wouldn't give you a full refund... I'm sure they will. I would honestly think about picking up the 50mm f/1.8 or the 40mm f/2.8 so you can really squeeze some image quality out of your t3i. I started with an 18-135 kit lens that was always just ho-hum for me, but picking up the nifty fifty (50 f/1.8) it opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities, not to mention how happy I was with my IQ which was always so frustrating on my kit lens.

I would be more interested in the 50mm of the two you mentioned (faster lens). How well does the lens hold up in time regarding the plastic lens mount though?

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 09, 2014 16:53 |  #14

snegron wrote in post #17144798 (external link)
I would be more interested in the 50mm of the two you mentioned (faster lens). How well does the lens hold up in time regarding the plastic lens mount though?

It is a piece of crap. Flat out honest truth. Mine literally fell apart one day (split in half with the internals exposed). For $100, it is a disposable lens. The 40mm pancake is a better build, similar IQ, just slower at f/2.8. But the nifty fifty is great if you want to whet your beak in the prime waters for very little cost.

Steezy ­ B
43 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 09, 2014 16:57 |  #15

Congratulations!

sponsored links

3,114 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first Canon!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.