Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 May 2014 (Friday) 11:11
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Does your 70D focus correctly with a f2.8 or faster lens wide open with view finder"
No issues, it is just as good as other canon cameras
64%
Yes mine has issues at long distances
20.2%
I have never used this combo but really want to respond anyway
15.8%

114 voters, 114 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Attn 70D Owners: Have you had Focus Issues?

socal13
26 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 08, 2014 22:10 as a reply to  @ post 16955740 |  #61

Mine has a focus issue with f/2.8 at greater than 12ft. See details and link to sample images here:

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=16951440&pos​tcount=770

My camera is currently at Canon repair. I will retest with similar controlled setup when it is returned, and will post results. I voted.

sponsored links
frozenframe
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 15, 2014 19:05 |  #62

frozenframe wrote in post #16954955 (external link)
Well I learned that I'm at the mercy of Canon's repair. The New Leaf 3 yr warranty does not kick in until after the Canon warranty expires. They refuse to do anything until then. So it's getting sent to Canon, along with evidence and detailed explanation.

I'm going to throw this out there for some input. Has anyone considered filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau? How about trying to utilize the Lemon Law? Those may be some sort of tool we can use to apply more pressure on Canon. If they don't fix the problem they're obligated to replace it.

It's on its way back to Adorama to be exchanged. Thanks to HelenOster, they agreed to grant an exclusion of the 30-day return policy. Keeping fingers crossed, the next one will not have the AF issue. IF it does, it's going right back.

Ron
My Gear List

TheDSLRNewbie
45 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 08, 2014 01:28 |  #63

Apricane wrote in post #16942646 (external link)
I've shot some today, and while I currently don't have shots to post, the quality/consistency of the AF under certain conditions are really unequal, going from a good, normal image (if of no artistic quality whatsoever) to shots resembling those dadgummit posted not too long ago.

I have this exact same issue, I MFA the lenses at a certain distance (~ 30'), then shoot longer distances and the output is a plain coin toss.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,441 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 03, 2014 06:36 |  #64

Those with issues, could you please log your serial number?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 03, 2014 08:12 |  #65

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17073276 (external link)
Those with issues, could you please log your serial number?

Mine starts with 0620022.

Finally got it fixed at the Newport News repair center after I sent a lens along with the camera for them calibrate at 25 feet an f2.2.

The paperwork I got back with the camera lists The mirror, prism, AF sensor and a FPC sensor as parts replaced.

Molybdo42
117 posts
Joined May 2014

Aug 03, 2014 09:14 |  #66

German forums already have done that and didn't find any correlation :
http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.ph​p?t=1364683 (external link)

I can't give my SN because I don't have (at the moment) access to the notebook where I noted it.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,059 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 17, 2014 15:38 |  #67

Molybdo42 wrote in post #17073463 (external link)
German forums already have done that and didn't find any correlation :
http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.ph​p?t=1364683 (external link)

I can't give my SN because I don't have (at the moment) access to the notebook where I noted it.

The serial number is in the EXIF if you have an image.

Jurie ­ Venter
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 25, 2014 01:22 |  #68

Seems like there are a 15% chance to get a bad product. Have a look at the thread: Default Re: Is my new 70D bad or is this normal? Will post my serial no when body back as it does not show in exif info.

D70 / 2 * D550 /D350 /Pentax P30N
Various Canon lenses

Jurie ­ Venter
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 25, 2014 03:14 as a reply to  @ Jurie Venter's post |  #69

My D70 Serial No 8469b001

D70 / 2 * D550 /D350 /Pentax P30N
Various Canon lenses

centauro1974
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 09, 2014 17:30 |  #70

Scoobert wrote in post #17073394 (external link)
Mine starts with 0620022.

Finally got it fixed at the Newport News repair center after I sent a lens along with the camera for them calibrate at 25 feet an f2.2.

The paperwork I got back with the camera lists The mirror, prism, AF sensor and a FPC sensor as parts replaced.

Scoobert, what lens did you sent with the camera and what did you tell them to replace all those parts.
I took mine to the NJ center this past Friday, they called me today to pick up.
When I got the camera, I took some shots right there at the parking lot and it looks worse.
I took it back and the technician use my 50 1.8 and reproduce the problem, so I left it again at canon.
I wish they'll replace the parts on mine, like they did with yours.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 09, 2014 19:18 |  #71

centauro1974 wrote in post #17144879 (external link)
Scoobert, what lens did you sent with the camera and what did you tell them to replace all those parts.
I took mine to the NJ center this past Friday, they called me today to pick up.
When I got the camera, I took some shots right there at the parking lot and it looks worse.
I took it back and the technician use my 50 1.8 and reproduce the problem, so I left it again at canon.
I wish they'll replace the parts on mine, like they did with yours.

They didn't replace the stuff in mine on the first or second try either. The just keep sending it back as adjusted. After getting it back in 10 minutes I knew it wasn't fixed.

Then I sent it in with my 35 f/2 IS.

I got it back yesterday from Newport News and was testing it today.

It was received by canon on the 16'th. After 4 days I checked with customer service and according to them it was going through a sensor adjustment and calibration. Should be returned in two days. All they had left to do was put on the lens I sent and calibrate it to the camera. 6 days later it was still there so I called back to see what the hold up was. I was told that they were waiting on a new AF sensor to arrive but the had already changed the mirror, prism and something else (I couldn't hear).
So I am only GUESSING that they tried to do the lens calibration I asked for and couldn't get it to focus at 25 feet @ f/2.2 and starting changing things to try to get it.

Toby got his back again from canon... He sent it in with a lens and tried to get them to test it at range as well. But they still didn't fix it. But admitted they couldn't fix it from front focusing from time to time. Yet sent it back to him after an "electrical adjustment"

https://www.youtube.co​m …=UU0sx2UCRrPrZ_​98J6oRtbwQ (external link)

The 10 minute mark is where they discuss his 70D.

centauro1974
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 09, 2014 22:26 |  #72

Yes, I watch the podcast already. Toby has is camera at the same place in NJ. They sent me a email after I left asking for the pictures I took this morning after I picked up the camera.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 10, 2014 09:28 |  #73

centauro1974 wrote in post #17145343 (external link)
Yes, I watch the podcast already. Toby has is camera at the same place in NJ. They sent me a email after I left asking for the pictures I took this morning after I picked up the camera.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Best of luck man, keep us updated please.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 10, 2014 09:46 |  #74

bought my first 70D
Then i sold it to buy 5D3
i sold the 5D3
bought my second 70D
and I don't know if they have an issues or not
but they seems fine and very sharp with the 100L lens which i sold it too

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 11:02 |  #75

Scoobert wrote in post #17145055 (external link)
They didn't replace the stuff in mine on the first or second try either. The just keep sending it back as adjusted. After getting it back in 10 minutes I knew it wasn't fixed.

Then I sent it in with my 35 f/2 IS.

Toby got his back again from canon... He sent it in with a lens and tried to get them to test it at range as well. But they still didn't fix it. But admitted they couldn't fix it from front focusing from time to time. Yet sent it back to him after an "electrical adjustment"

https://www.youtube.co​m …=UU0sx2UCRrPrZ_​98J6oRtbwQ (external link)

The 10 minute mark is where they discuss his 70D.

Hah! Good luck to my 70D. Just sent it in yesterday...

sponsored links

17,501 views & 0 likes for this thread
Attn 70D Owners: Have you had Focus Issues?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.