Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 26 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Friday Night Football Game

bms259
425 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 26, 2014 20:34 |  #1

Hi,

I will be shooting one or two football games as a part of senior portraits for a relative. Not normally something I'd do, but I think it could be fun. I'm hoping to get some pointers, particularly on things like side-line etiquette, things to definitely do or not do, or other intangibles.

I'll be shooting with a Canon 7D, 70-200 2.8L. I don't plan to rent or purchase gear. Not planning to use flash. I have a 50 1.4 and 17-55 2.8, plus a couple other lens that I plan to leave at home.

I feel pretty confident in using the camera. I plan to use either M or Av with a high enough ISO to get me to at least 1/500th. I'll do a custom white balance, and probably change it as the light changes. Center focus point, Servo mode.

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 27, 2014 01:52 |  #2

bms259 wrote in post #17119852 (external link)
Hi,

I will be shooting one or two football games as a part of senior portraits for a relative. Not normally something I'd do, but I think it could be fun. I'm hoping to get some pointers, particularly on things like side-line etiquette, things to definitely do or not do, or other intangibles.

I'll be shooting with a Canon 7D, 70-200 2.8L. I don't plan to rent or purchase gear. Not planning to use flash. I have a 50 1.4 and 17-55 2.8, plus a couple other lens that I plan to leave at home.

I feel pretty confident in using the camera. I plan to use either M or Av with a high enough ISO to get me to at least 1/500th. I'll do a custom white balance, and probably change it as the light changes. Center focus point, Servo mode.

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

High ISO, manual white balance. Exposure settings are best obtained by an incident reading. Examples from a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

A 200mm lens is on the short side for football so you'll need to wait until the action gets close for a usefully framed images.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …09bba0063_zps6b​f1fbf0.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: 70-200mm
Image Date: 2012-11-09 19:20:23 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 200.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)
ISO equiv: 6400
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …028a0000a_zps90​0515d0.jpg (external link)

Image Date: 2011-10-28 19:23:24 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 144.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 4000
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1104a0650_zps18​5ec7b0.jpg (external link)

Image Date: 2011-11-04 19:23:46 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 165.0mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 3200
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

The most important tip is to pay extremely close attention to game play and stay far enough back so you aren't run over. There is a very real risk of injury on a football sideline. If the action gets too close, be ready to get out of the way.

Football fields often are marked with dashed restraining lines. Stay behind them. Some people may stand right on the sidelines and you'll need to maneuver around them. If that happens, let them exercise their right to get hit and injured.

As the action moves from end to end, you'll need to move with it and stay upstream of the play, with the ball and the offense heading toward you.

The largest technical challenge for a football newcomer is tracking the action on a pass play. The best you will be able to to at first is to track the ball and hope you find the best action.

John ­ Godwin
150 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 27, 2014 02:17 |  #3

Stay out of the team box.
Do not talk to the coaches or players in the team box.
Stay behind the restraining line. If a team official has to move around you or if you get in the way of the chain gang you may be removed from the sidelines.
Once in position do not move towards the field. If you were not in position to get the shot of someone running down the sideline or the jubilation shot after the play that is your bad. Do not prevent someone else getting the shot that could have been better positioned.

Maxpreps profile (external link)

smacatl
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 04, 2014 14:16 |  #4

I would read this entire thread for tips:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735799

Then read it again (for me it sinks in better the second time!)

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

bms259
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 04, 2014 14:59 |  #5

Thank you! This is super helpful!

bms259
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 09, 2014 09:17 |  #6

I'm actually gonna be getting my hands on a 5DIII -- should I use it or the 7D?

Steezy ­ B
43 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 10, 2014 00:00 |  #7

Great shots for night games!

sponsored links

2,024 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Friday Night Football Game
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.