Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 22:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Freak accident happened to me and my camera equipment

riverratmike
61 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 09, 2014 22:09 |  #1

Well, to make a long story short. I was sitting in a chair on a concrete dock on the Colorado River in Parker, AZ Saturday night doing a little night time photography with my 8 month old Canon 60D and 2 week old Canon EF 17-55mm F2.8 lens. I had my tripod set up near the corner of the dock as I sat in a chair (made in China) that I've had for about 8 months. Well I was leaning back in the chair and the back of it gave out and I fell back and my leg kicked up, kicking my tripod over, B+W new lens filter I just bought (cracked that) nailed the dock hard and there went in my camera and lens into the river while still connected to the tripod. I got back up on my feet as fast as I could to find the tripod legs sticking up out of the water about 2 feet and heading down to the bottom of the river fast. I reached over the end of the dock and I barely grabbed it before it sank to the bottom. The camera and lens was under water for about 10 seconds completely submerged. Pulled it out of the water and rushed to remove the camera from the tripod mount to remove the battery. I then got a beach towel and wiped down everything as fast as I could. I got a electric inner tube blower and used it to try and blow out what ever water got into the lens and camera and did this for nearly 1hr. Next day put everything out in the sun to dry for a few hrs. Monday powered on the camera and it powers up but then just shuts off. Also sometimes shows a dead battery icon on the top display when that battery is fully charged. Lens is messed up. Doesn't focus on auto anymore and has problem communicating when connected to my T2i. Also all kinds of water spots I can see inside the lens. Well I have learned a valuable lesson and this happening, and this has just made me sick. I have spent well over $1800 on this set up. I am bummed bummed out!!!!
Today I shipped my 60D and lens to Canon keeping my fingers crossed they can fix both. I know it's going to cost me a crap load of money now but it is what it is. Just wanted to share this with everyone here. So far cost me $67 just to ship it to canon in Irvine, CA from Lake Havasu City, AZ OUCH! Here we go! I'll report back soon once I get some info back from Canon repair.

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Sep 09, 2014 22:19 |  #2

Gee, that's really tough luck. I'm afraid that you've wasted your money shipping it to Canon as they won't touch any equipment with water damage and will just return it to you marked unrepairable. Better start looking at new cameras. Good reason to upgrade.:)

Mark

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 09, 2014 22:34 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Sorry to hear that. I hope Canon can fix it for you. Did you tell them what happened before you sent it in?

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

riverratmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 09, 2014 22:48 |  #4

yes I did, filled out everything I needed to on their website last night before sending it in. There were many boxes to check about the problem with the camera/lens and water damage was one of them. Maybe they do that now. Well see in a few days I guess.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 09, 2014 23:01 |  #5

Do you have any kind of insurance? My home insurance covers stuff like this.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,114 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 09, 2014 23:23 |  #6

sorry but powering up a camera just 2 days after full immersion is just far too soon...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 09, 2014 23:40 |  #7

hopefully you have some insurance that covers at least part of this, Canon won't do anything with it, I'm sure. What a shame, such a crummy thing to happen.

Won't be much, but you can at least use the camera via the loyalty program when you buy something new or refurb from Canon direct. But I've never heard of them even touching something with water damage. Kind of odd that they have a checkmark for it w/o automatically telling you so though.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

riverratmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 09, 2014 23:52 |  #8

Sirrith wrote in post #17145380 (external link)
Do you have any kind of insurance? My home insurance covers stuff like this.

yes I have home owners insurance going to give them a call right now

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 10, 2014 02:26 |  #9

I don't think that "general" home insurance will cover your loss, unless perhaps the house caught on fire and 'contents' is covered.

On my homeowners insurance, I have a specific policy rider that lists each piece of camera gear, serial number, purchase price (copy of receipt), and photograph. It costs about $10/$1000 valuation per year. If my gear gets stolen while I'm out and about, or lost in a river, etc, it's covered. If it's in the house if it burns down, it's covered in addition to the 'contents' valuation.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 10, 2014 02:44 as a reply to  @ bratkinson's post |  #10

My EOS 10 once drowned in soft drink. It was in the same bag as a sealed bottle with soft drink, but the bottle developed a leak.
My home insurance covered that, to the estimated current value of the camera at that time.

Anders

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 03:58 |  #11

My 500D got damaged by the water too. Canon was willing to repair it for a cost. $400 for the complete recovery. Decided to pull it out and bought the 70D. Sorry.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 10, 2014 06:09 |  #12

rrblint wrote in post #17145336 (external link)
Gee, that's really tough luck. I'm afraid that you've wasted your money shipping it to Canon as they won't touch any equipment with water damage and will just return it to you marked unrepairable. Better start looking at new cameras. Good reason to upgrade.:)

That's not true. I've had a camera deemed water damaged repaired by Canon. What they'll do is contact you after looking at it. They'll state that since it's water damaged, it's not covered by the warranty. They'll give you the price estimate of the repairs for you to confirm or elect to send the camera back.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 10, 2014 08:21 |  #13

A friend of mine dunked a 580 EX II flash and Canon fixed it. I think it depends on whether any of the electronics have corroded. If there is corrosion they will probably send it back without repairing it.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 10, 2014 08:41 |  #14

Larry Weinman wrote in post #17145848 (external link)
If there is corrosion they will probably send it back without repairing it.

My camera that got repaired had a spot of corrosion. I think the standard protocol they have is looking at the camera and then estimate the cost of repairs. They may send it back if the cost of repairs is more then the value of the camera itself. But normally they'll tell you how much the repair is and let you decide if you'd like to pay for the repair or to get the damaged camera back.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

vid1900
557 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 10, 2014 12:36 |  #15

If you bought it with your VISA card, you get an extra year warranty, so that may help you out.

I always laugh at pushy salesmen that try to sell me "An extra year insurance, even if you drop it for only $119", when I get that free from VISA.

No bragging list - I just rent whatever the job requires.

sponsored links

7,494 views & 1 like for this thread
Freak accident happened to me and my camera equipment
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.