Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 23:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70d and sigma 50mm 1.4 non art, anyone?

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 09, 2014 23:28 |  #1

I am a bit torned between the 85 1.8 and sigma 50 1.4 non art. I would like to ask 70d users if they have the sigma 50 non art on them or maybe had been able to test on their 70ds? I am more in favor for the sigma 50. My question is if its working properly with the 70 because I had read some compatibility of the 70d with some third party lenses. Tried to asked this question on the lens sample photo archive but I am not getting any answers. I cant try it myself here due to the unavailability of the lens in my place. The nearest market for this lens is 600 miles from my town. My friends dont have it too. Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
510storm
148 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 10, 2014 01:18 |  #2

It will work fine. I used an older 85mm 1.4 and the 35mm art on mine. Just pick it up and get to shooting :)

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 10, 2014 03:14 |  #3

I have the 70d and I rented the sigma 50 non art, it works fine. But the Art versions are in another league.

Between the 85 and the 50? The 50 is more versatile, but on a crop camera I have found 35mm to be a better fit.

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 03:14 |  #4

510storm wrote in post #17145509 (external link)
It will work fine. I used an older 85mm 1.4 and the 35mm art on mine. Just pick it up and get to shooting :)

Thanks

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 03:18 |  #5

jimeuph1 wrote in post #17145578 (external link)
I have the 70d and I rented the sigma 50 non art, it works fine. But the Art versions are in another league.

Between the 85 and the 50? The 50 is more versatile, but on a crop camera I have found 35mm to be a better fit.

I borrowed my friend's ef50mm 1.8 last Saturday for a wedding shoot and had no problems on framing... Though 35mm is wider, I still prefer 50mm for studio half body to head shots... Good to know its working fine... Did you do any mfa on it?

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 10, 2014 07:56 |  #6

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17145402 (external link)
I am a bit torned between the 85 1.8 and sigma 50 1.4 non art. I would like to ask 70d users if they have the sigma 50 non art on them or maybe had been able to test on their 70ds? I am more in favor for the sigma 50. My question is if its working properly with the 70 because I had read some compatibility of the 70d with some third party lenses. Tried to asked this question on the lens sample photo archive but I am not getting any answers. I cant try it myself here due to the unavailability of the lens in my place. The nearest market for this lens is 600 miles from my town. My friends dont have it too. Thanks in advance.

It's not just 3rd party lenses.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=7260 (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,262 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 10, 2014 08:01 |  #7

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17145402 (external link)
My question is if its working properly with the 70 because I had read some compatibility of the 70d with some third party lenses.

Can you supply a link that discusses the issue of 70D compatibility with 3rd party lenses? There have been some reported 70D focus issues and supposedly this is a very specific set of circumstances that many people rarely if ever encounter. At least I think that is the current line of reasoning, subject to change of course.

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Sep 10, 2014 08:05 |  #8

I've got the combo and it focuses very accurately. It has trouble tracking, especially as things move towards the lens, but that's more the nature of the lens in general. My sigma 50-150 tracks exceptionally well, so it's not a Sigma thing.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 08:29 |  #9

John from PA wrote in post #17145810 (external link)
Can you supply a link that discusses the issue of 70D compatibility with 3rd party lenses? There have been some reported 70D focus issues and supposedly this is a very specific set of circumstances that many people rarely if ever encounter. At least I think that is the current line of reasoning, subject to change of course.

I've been trying to find the thread I've read in this forum but can not locate it. A member stated that he was having problems with 3rd party lenses on his 70D. I remember it was about its focusing or something that its af is not working. I was only new here by the time I read that post. It was only a member's post (I think) and not a thread. But anyway, I have tried my 70d with the sigme 10-20 f3.5 and it worked fine. The only thing I am concerned is, sigma 50 1.4 non art is a 20 year old lens (correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm a bit worried in its firmware. If some Canon old lenses have some incompatibilities with the 70d (stated at the manual) there could be some possibilities with some 3rd party lenses too (just assuming though).

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 10, 2014 09:06 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #17145810 (external link)

Here is an email I got from tamron.

Custserv <custserv@tamron.com>
Jul 24

to me
Hello

Thank you for contacting Tamron. I'm sorry about the focusing issues you are having. This may indeed be due to the new hybrid autofocus system used in the 70D. We are currently working on a lens update that should resolve this issue and we hope to have the update for the 28-75 out soon. If you like I can add you to my email list and contact you once we have this available.

Is that enough proof there are some compatibility issues?

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 09:13 |  #11

Scoobert wrote in post #17145916 (external link)
Here is an email I got from tamron.

Is that enough proof there are some compatibility issues?

Scoob, does this tamron lens still give you trouble after your 70d's repair?

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 10, 2014 09:22 |  #12

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17145928 (external link)
Scoob, does this tamron lens still give you trouble after your 70d's repair?

Yes it does, but only in live mode. Through the viewfinder its really sharp and locks on good.

The problem I was having is when shooting in live view it would get a focus lock and then turn just a little more just before the shutter causing a slightly out of focus picture. Easy problem to avoid, I just shoot through the vf with that lens :)

Much easier to deal with then the 70D issue.

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 09:29 |  #13

rebelsimon wrote in post #17145820 (external link)
I've got the combo and it focuses very accurately. It has trouble tracking, especially as things move towards the lens, but that's more the nature of the lens in general. My sigma 50-150 tracks exceptionally well, so it's not a Sigma thing.

What about using it in videos? Does the af phase detection work properly? I asked this because there are times that my 70d is used for video clips in weddings and some other events. Its video feature is the best with this camera especially on focusing smoothly. So, the siggy 50 will be great in this aspect if it will work fine on af phase detection. Some old canon lenses (as posted by scoobert via the digital picture) only uses 70d's contrast detection when thes lenses are attached.

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 09:35 |  #14

Scoobert wrote in post #17145941 (external link)
Yes it does, but only in live mode. Through the viewfinder its really sharp and locks on good.

The problem I was having is when shooting in live view it would get a focus lock and then turn just a little more just before the shutter causing a slightly out of focus picture. Easy problem to avoid, I just shoot through the vf with that lens :)

Much easier to deal with then the 70D issue.

Just as I thought. They can't get along (only some) with phase detection. Yes, that is easy to avoid, as long as it's accurate on the viewfinder, everything will be fine.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 10, 2014 09:44 |  #15

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17145971 (external link)
Just as I thought. They can't get along (only some) with phase detection. Yes, that is easy to avoid, as long as it's accurate on the viewfinder, everything will be fine.

Yes and they have already fixed a lot of lenses with the firmware update.

Here is the list from Tamron. I know it doesn't help you much with your sigma choice. I have never owned a siggy so I dont know if their customer service is as great as tamrons. Maybe drop them an email and ask for a compatibility list for the 70D?

Custserv <custserv@tamron.com>
Jul 29

to me
Hello ,

Typically I could provide you with a compatibility chart but it has been taken off our web site for updating. The following lenses would be compatible with the 70D:

70-300 VC (model A005)
24-70mm (A007)
17-50mm (B005)
10-24mm (B001)
18-270mm(B008)
16-300mm(B016)
28-300mm(A010)

In addition, any newly released lenses should be compatible as well. If you have any questions about any of these lenses please let me know.

Kind regards,

Brian Marley
Customer Service Supervisor
Tamron USA, INC
10 Austin Blvd
Commack, NY 11725

sponsored links

4,673 views & 0 likes for this thread
70d and sigma 50mm 1.4 non art, anyone?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.