Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 23:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70d and sigma 50mm 1.4 non art, anyone?

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 09:56 |  #16

Scoobert wrote in post #17145993 (external link)
Maybe drop them an email and ask for a compatibility list for the 70D?

I have that in mind, but I want to supplement everything with those using the lens.
EDIT: Thanks.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,258 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 10, 2014 10:06 |  #17

Scoobert wrote in post #17145916 (external link)
Here is an email I got from tamron.

Is that enough proof there are some compatibility issues?

I wasn't looking for "proof" per se as I wasn't questioning what the OP had stated, just desired some clarification. I was previously only aware of issues specifically with Tamron lenses and more often than not in video mode as opposed to still images. Having said that it appears that these issues are being properly addressed by Tamron and other manufacturers as well. One has to remember that Canon does not test a camera body design with 3rd party lenses. It is, so to speak, a "one way street" in that the lens manufacturer must test his lenses with the camera and reverse engineer as needed.

For what it is worth, the site http://www.cameraegg.o​rg …lenses-for-canon-eos-70d/ (external link) seems to indicate the Sigma Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM is compatible with the 70D. Not sure if that is what the OP is referring to when he speaks of a non-art 50mm 1.4.

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 10:14 |  #18

John from PA wrote in post #17146033 (external link)
I wasn't looking for "proof" per se as I wasn't questioning what the OP had stated, just desired some clarification. I was previously only aware of issues specifically with Tamron lenses and more often than not in video mode as opposed to still images. Having said that it appears that these issues are being properly addressed by Tamron and other manufacturers as well. One has to remember that Canon does not test a camera body design with 3rd party lenses. It is, so to speak, a "one way street" in that the lens manufacturer must test his lenses with the camera and reverse engineer as needed.

For what it is worth, the site http://www.cameraegg.o​rg …lenses-for-canon-eos-70d/ (external link) seems to indicate the Sigma Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM is compatible with the 70D. Not sure if that is what the OP is referring to when he speaks of a non-art 50mm 1.4.

Yes John, that's the lens I intend to include in my bag.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 10, 2014 11:16 |  #19

John from PA wrote in post #17146033 (external link)

My bad John, after re -reading your response I stand corrected.

I read it as you were questioning that their are compatibility issues. With the "supposedly" That was not the case.

My apologies

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 10, 2014 22:49 |  #20

I emailed sigma last night and got a quick reply from. Good thing that they stated its fully compatible with the 70d. I guess that answers my concern. Now is just a matter of its performance but seeing samples of its product (lens photo sample archive) tells that this glass is a great one for its price.

@rebelsimon: I was thinking about what you said, trouble in tracking in subject's moving closer. Did you mean like the subject is walking towards you or something like tracking a fast paced object (lets say a child running towards the camera)?

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Sep 10, 2014 23:35 |  #21

If I track a couple walking towards me (centre-point, AI Servo) in anything less than perfect light, I get a better keeper rate on my 50-150mm. I find my sigma zooms slightly more consistent than my primes, until it gets too dark to lock focus and the camera needs the 1.4 I haven't tried the Art series.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 11, 2014 00:21 |  #22

jimeuph1 wrote in post #17145578 (external link)
I have the 70d and I rented the sigma 50 non art, it works fine. But the Art versions are in another league.

Between the 85 and the 50? The 50 is more versatile, but on a crop camera I have found 35mm to be a better fit.

I have had 30mm f1.4, sigma 35mm art, 35L, 50mm f1.4 non art, canon 50mm f1.4, sigma 85mm f1.4, 85L II and all are very very close if you got good bodies. So can't imagine sigma 50mm f1.4 art to be that much better. For the record my sigmas (30 and 85 non art) were as sharp or sharper @f1.4 than 135mm f2 @f2.

Personally I will stick that 50mm on even old 5dc and be happy unless I was shooting really high ISOs.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

4,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
70d and sigma 50mm 1.4 non art, anyone?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.