Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets 
Thread started 10 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 08:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Goodbye my friend

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 10, 2014 08:28 |  #1

For years, I've read the stories on some of my hunting forums about the day you had to make the decision for your dog. I've always hoped that that day would never come - that I'd go to work and come home and he'll have passed while sleeping. Of course, that's not the case.

We picked him up at 6 weeks old, driving 100 each way in the snow to get him (keep in mind that is no small feat in NC). When he was young, I bought a new leather wallet, stopped to run another errand, only to come back and find him chewing on it. In his younger years, he was overly protective (never aggressive), just protective.

He's been there as a friend when times were low. He's been a clown when we were happy. He was a big chocolate head on my wife's shoulder after her 4 miscarriages. And a big chocolate brother during her pregnancy with our 2 little ones. He's been tugged on, hit and fallen on since our little girl arrived 4 years ago. And he's been a big silly object for our 4 month old to laugh at.

As he aged, he began to have seizures related to low sugar. Each one took a little from us and a little from him. But he'd rebound and be back to himself in a couple days. It had been a long time since his last seizure when he had one about 2 weeks ago for no reason. He appeared fine, but something seemed a little off to me. Sometime Friday, he had a stroke. He struggled to walk this weekend, but got better and then took a turn for the worse Monday. Since then, he hasn't walked on his own or attempted to stand or move. It's just not in him. And we can see it in his big brown eyes.

So for lunch, we had cheeseburgers, tots and ice cream. My wife and I will spent the afternoon reliving our memories with him, shedding a lot of tears. He looked at us one last time and said "It's OK. All better." He knew.

When I made the call to my wife, she asked what I wanted to do. I couldn't say anything other than "He's not there." I stepped into the bedroom to say it as I didn't want him to hear. As I did so, I looked out the window and saw a flock of geese flying over. In 3 years, I've never seen geese anywhere near our house. As that is what he hunted the most, it was only fitting.

You have been with me for almost 15 years buddy. You weren't perfect, but neither am I. I hope you feel better and understand this is our final act of love to you. I'll think of you every time I see geese and when those leaves start changing colors as that was always your favorite time of the year.

Love you Hunter. You will be missed.

IMAGE: http://bradipock.smugmug.com/photos/i-FgrTWjz/0/L/i-FgrTWjz-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://bradipock.smugm​ug.com …o-Not/n-KSC7X/i-FgrTWjz/A  (external link)

IMAGE: http://bradipock.smugmug.com/photos/i-SzLG8JJ/0/L/i-SzLG8JJ-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://bradipock.smugm​ug.com …o-Not/n-KSC7X/i-SzLG8JJ/A  (external link)

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

sponsored links
nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 10, 2014 09:57 |  #2

Sorry for your loss :(

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 10, 2014 10:05 |  #3

Sorry for your loss but rejoice in the fact the he brings with him the same happy memories and will no longer suffer.

vegashot
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 10, 2014 10:14 |  #4

sorry for your loss, really sad

gossamer88
"something else"
1,094 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 10, 2014 10:16 |  #5

So sorry. May he RiP. :(

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | Sigma 150-600mm C | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

Foskey
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 10, 2014 10:42 |  #6

Pets can be close friends, and even a close part of the family. Clearly, he was family. Very sorry for your loss.

Wolfeye
50 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 10, 2014 11:08 |  #7

The only known cure for dog-loss heartache is that puppy, born 6-8 weeks ago, who doesn't yet have a home to call his own.

Been through this many times; Akela, Lupo, Raja, all gone now. My own Fenris is getting up there in years and will be greatly missed.

Thank you for sharing the story of your shared journey, and your pictures. They speak loudly of a friendship, a long partnership, and a joy in shared pursuits. Hunter had a good life and a good friend to share it with. That's all a dog can hope for.

75D
Goldmember
1,504 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 10, 2014 11:23 as a reply to  @ Wolfeye's post |  #8

May he rest in Peace and all the good memories of him stay with you forever.
He will always be remembered.

40D Rebel XT
Kit Lens 18-55mm
EF 50mm 1.8 II
90-300 Canon EF
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Sigma 10-20 3.5

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 10, 2014 14:08 as a reply to  @ 75D's post |  #9

Thanks for sharing your story. May he rest in peace. He will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,057 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 10, 2014 14:40 |  #10

Such a heartfelt story. Thanks for sharing it with us, even if it did make me cry. I'm happy to read that Hunter had a very fulfilling life, with an awesome family. We have a Chocolate Lab, who is scared to death of bubble wrap! When a box arrives at the door, she leaves the room for fear of someone popping the bubbles that are sure to be inside. Treasure your memories!

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

Sacadelic
585 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 10, 2014 20:06 |  #11

RIP pooch..

-Sac
Feedback

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 10, 2014 20:49 |  #12

Sorry for your loss.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Hinson
Goldmember
2,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 10, 2014 22:12 |  #13

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My wife and I are at the same stage with out 9-year-old rottie. She's had a rough life. Addisons set in when she was two, ACL surgery on right rear leg at 5, left rear leg a year and half later, tumor surgery on left front just a few weeks ago and it was cancerous. Doc says there isn't much we can do. Any treatment at this point would only extend her life a few months and she wouldn't have any quality of life at that point. She's still a bit active so we're keeping up her meds and hoping she hangs in a bit longer.

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,436 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 10, 2014 22:18 |  #14

It's a sad day when this happens, but your pictures as well as your words show that you had a very happy dog for the time that he was in your lives.

R.I.P Hunter

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Lesmore
874 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 10, 2014 23:07 |  #15

Sorry for your loss. I had a dog much like your dog. My dog's name was Willy. He was a small West Highland Terrier/ Poodle mix.

He lived till about 15 1/2, then became very sick and sadly we took him to the vet. He passed away in 1989. I still miss him greatly.

sponsored links

7,738 views & 0 likes for this thread
Goodbye my friend
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.