Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here

rjx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 09, 2014 23:48 |  #2311

X100T
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …digital_camera_​black.html (external link)

NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwired - September 10, 2014) - The Fujifilm X100T digital camera is the third generation in the X100 series, and features a revised Advanced Hybrid Viewfinder that combines both electronic and optical viewing with a new Electronic Rangefinder function, to enhance the optical viewing system. The frame coverage of the finder has been increased to 92%, and real-time parallax correction avails the ability to focus and compose in a single, fluid action. In regard to the electronic viewfinder, a new Shooting Effect Reflection setting allows you to pre-visualize camera settings in the EVF or, alternatively, simulate a natural viewing method to decrease display lag times. A new, larger 3.0" 1.04m-dot LCD monitor has also been incorporated into the design, as well as an updated control interface and surface texturing. The Classic Chrome Film Simulation mode has also been added, as well as a new electronic-shutter design that provides fast shutter speeds of up to 1/32,000 of a second. Beyond these improvements, the X100T features the 16.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor, EXR Processor II, and Fujinon 23mm f/2 lens seen in its predecessor, as well as a 6 fps shooting rate, full HD movie recording, built-in 3-stop ND filter, and Intelligent Hybrid AF system.

XF 56mm f/1.2 R APD
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …3058_xf_56mm_f_​1_2_r.html (external link)

X-Mount Lens/APS-C Format
85mm (35mm Equivalent)
Aperture Range: f/1.2 to f/16
Apodization Filter for Pleasing Bokeh
One Aspherical Element, Two ED Elements
HT-EBC Multi-Layer Lens Coating
High Speed AF & Inner Focusing Mechanism
Seven-Blade Rounded Diaphragm
Supports X-Series Camera's LMO Function

X-T1 Graphite Silver Edition
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …rless_digital_c​amera.html (external link)

Fujifilm has introduced new updates to this advanced mirrorless digital camera; the foremost being the new X-T1 Graphite Silver edition. Contextualized by a unique triple-layer coating, this camera's finish is aesthetically remarkable as well as durable, and serves to differentiate itself from the standard black edition through the incorporation of the Classic Chrome Film Simulation mode, 1/32,000-second electronic shutter, and a new Natural Live View setting to better mimic the appearance of an optical viewfinder. Beyond this special edition, Fujifilm has also announced a new black X-T1 kit with the weather-resistant XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens.

XF 50-140mm f/2.8
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_xf_50_140mm_f_​2_8_r.html (external link)

X-Mount Lens/APS-C Format
76-213mm (35mm Equivalent)
Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
Five ED Elements & One Super ED Element
Nano-Gradient Index Coating Technology
Optical Image Stabilization
Triple Linear Autofocus Motor
Inner Focusing and Zoom Design
Weather-Sealed Construction
Seven-Blade Rounded Diaphragm

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

sponsored links
rjx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 10, 2014 00:01 |  #2312

A lot of info here
http://www.stevehuffph​oto.com …ite-x-t1-and-50-140-zoom/ (external link)

DPR

Fujifilm X100T announced with updated hybrid viewfinder
http://www.dpreview.co​m …updated-hybrid-viewfinder (external link)

Polished to a T: Fujifilm X100T Overview
http://www.dpreview.co​m …t-fujifilm-x100t-overview (external link)

Fujifilm offers silver X-T1 and firmware update
http://www.dpreview.co​m …-x-t1-and-firmware-update (external link)

Fujifilm introduces XF 56mm F1.2 R APD with apodization filter
http://www.dpreview.co​m …d-with-apodization-filter (external link)

Fujifilm announces weather-resistant XF 50-140mm F2.8
http://www.dpreview.co​m …esistant-xf-50-140mm-f2-8 (external link)

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 10, 2014 05:15 as a reply to  @ rjx's post |  #2313

I've finally gone through all of the pages in this thread. And now I'm really considering another camera brand than Fuji. :confused:

Basically there appears to be something wrong with the image quality. It's hard to describe. I've seen all of the pictures in this thread and looked at a lot of them at their largest/full size on Flickr. Most of the time I've noticed one of following three behaviours:

• No noise visible in the pictures, but also what appears to be false sharpness and a wet painting look.
  • Some images look like they have been prone to camera shake even though the shutter speed was fast enough on these images to prevent that.
  • Most of the images don't have a spot where everything is TACK TACK SHARP (100% crop). Also the difference between the sharpest spot in an image and the next step below that in sharpness is rather small. There's no nice sharpness falloff like with my 550D (T2i) and EF 70-200mm F/4L IS USM. You can see what I mean *here (external link)* in this 100% crop of the stray cat in my backyard (picture was loaded in ACR with exposure pushed 1 stop, no extra sharpening or other edits applied next to the default sharpening in ACR). I'm currently seriously impressed by the sharpness and detail that is seen in the A7 pictures (example 1 (external link), example 2 (external link)).
I don't exactly know what it is. Maybe it's the lack of good X-Trans support in ACR/Lightroom? Or maybe I just don't like the feeling of the X-Trans sensor? I find this really, really sad, because I like everything about Fuji (their body styling, their lens lineup, their innovation, the fact that they listen to their customers...) except for their image quality which most of the time doesn't seem to impress me the way I want it too. I'm gutted since I thought I had finally found my new camera... :(

Ironically enough, I've held an A7 in my hands last Saturday in a local store since I was looking for an X-T1 but couldn't find one. Didn't pay much attention to the A7 since I was only interested in an X-T1, but it felt nice in my hands.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2014 07:13 |  #2314

Looks like the Black edition will get the same features in their December firmware update.

the ones I'm most interested in...

from Fuji's website: http://www.fujifilm.co​m/news/n140910_02.html (external link)

(1) Direct selection of AF Area
The update will let users select the focus area using the 4-way controller, without pressing the Fn key.

although I currently have my focus point selection set to my d-pad already..

2. New high-speed electronic shutter with a maximum speed of 1/32000sec.* **

The FUJINON XF Lens series lineup includes a number of fast fixed focal length lenses, which boast very high sharpness with the aperture wide open, producing excellent bokeh. However, fast apertures are impossible to use if the light is too bright, so to ensure users can create shallow depth-of-field effects, the camera is now equipped with a fully electronic shutter offering a maximum shutter speed of 1/32000sec. The mechanical shutter will not operate at all when any speed for the electronic shutter is selected, which also delivers a completely silent shooting experience; perfect for shots of sleeping children, pets, weddings, and more. In addition, it is possible to set the electronic shutter in 1/3 steps from a range of 1sec to 1/32000sec.

(8) Phase Detection AF support for Instant AF
In Instant AF mode, which is operated by pressing the AF-L button during manual focusing, the update will enable Phase Detection AF, providing faster focusing speeds.

(9) Interlocking of Metering and Focus areas
Users will be able to interlock the AF area position with the Metering area when Spot Metering mode is selected.

* This functionality will be installed on the X-T1 Graphite Silver Edition from its launch. A firmware update planned for December, 2014 will install these features on the X-T1 Black.

** The Electronic Shutter may not be suitable for fast-moving objects. Flash can not be used.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

armis
899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 10, 2014 07:33 |  #2315

jocau wrote in post #17145651 (external link)
I've finally gone through all of the pages in this thread. And now I'm really considering another camera brand than Fuji. :confused:

Basically there appears to be something wrong with the image quality. It's hard to describe. I've seen all of the pictures in this thread and looked at a lot of them at their largest/full size on Flickr. Most of the time I've noticed one of following three behaviours:
  • No noise visible in the pictures, but also what appears to be false sharpness and a wet painting look.
  • Some images look like they have been prone to camera shake even though the shutter speed was fast enough on these images to prevent that.
  • Most of the images don't have a spot where everything is TACK TACK SHARP (100% crop). Also the difference between the sharpest spot in an image and the next step below that in sharpness is rather small. There's no nice sharpness falloff like with my 550D (T2i) and EF 70-200mm F/4L IS USM. You can see what I mean *here (external link)* in this 100% crop of the stray cat in my backyard (picture was loaded in ACR with exposure pushed 1 stop, no extra sharpening or other edits applied next to the default sharpening in ACR). I'm currently seriously impressed by the sharpness and detail that is seen in the A7 pictures (example 1 (external link), example 2 (external link)).

Your first complaint is explained by people liking way too much noise reduction. Personally, I barely use it at all; compared to my old 5D2 I find the noise pattern of the Fuji (X-E1 in my case) far more pleasing.

I don't think you can blame the camera for shake in shots taken at sufficient speeds either. If the speed was high enough, then obviously it's the user that screwed up. If we were talking about sub-optimal speeds then you might make an argument against the image stabilization (though it's probably not one of the criteria I'd reject a camera for).

Finally, I'm not sure what you're talking about in your last point. Since the A7 is a full-frame camera which, more to the point, has easily 1.5 times the pixel count of a Fuji (and is, aside from that, a superb camera, no doubt), of course 100% crops of a good shot are going to look sharper. Especially studio shots with controlled lighting, a tripod, the sharpest lens money can buy and the application of solid, professional post-processing.

I don't know why you couldn't find Fuji images with a satisfactorily sharp area. Mine are sharp enough for me, but to be fair I was mostly over my pixel-peeping mania when I got my X-E1. 100% is basically just to check focus but if I can't see blur in full-screen I'll generally keep a shot I'm happy with.

What exactly are you referring to when talking about "sharpness falloff"? Do you mean out of focus blur? If so, remember that a) it's a crop sensor, and b) DoF varies based on focal length. If you want to compare your cat picture above on a Fuji cam, you'll have to do it with a lens at the same focal (200mm) and aperture (f/4) - which there actually isn't, since the 50-200 lens is f/4.8 at the long end. I'm sure some people out there must have taken shots with legacy telephoto lenses that would give you the combination you're looking for, but then there's the adapter to take into account...

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 10, 2014 08:56 |  #2316

Zack Aria's hands on review
http://dedpxl.com/fuji​-x100t-first-look/ (external link)

is it me or they decided to stick with the old X100 OVF/EVF switch instead of the curved one on the X100s?

some minor upgrades and the Classic Chrome is the only thing I really want to try out.
if they release it for the X100 and X100s, I might buy a used X100 instead.

manual focusing doesn't mean much to me on this type of camera as I like center-point AF ala Hexar AF.
I don't know how smooth MF is on the X100 with latest firmware but as long as I can pre-focus to 7ft easily, I'm happy.

fully agree with Zack though about the X100 series being my desert camera as well.
I've said it before and still believe it to this day but if I were to lose everything and get a new camera, an X100 would be it along the 28mm converter.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 10, 2014 10:47 |  #2317

Just like Zack said, I was thrilled at the thought of a weather proof x100 and was sadly let down. I'm glad they didn't go with a flip screen, kinda would kill some of the awesomeness of the x100 IMO. I'm hoping whatever firmware comes to the T and S, also hits the original. I don't think I'll be quick to jump from the x100 to x100T any time soon, but I would like to do so some day. I don't see enough at the moment to spend so much for what is being offered. Yes, it is similar to a person driving a Sentra saying, "ehh I don't need a Skyline, my car is fine". In reality, just like the Sentra driver, I just can't afford the upgrade right now lol.

However, I'm not in a rush to sell off my x100 (planning on keeping it forever) and other gear to obtain the x100T. I might just wait till x100s sales drop and pick one of those up and follow suit with the x100T.

Then again, I might test drive that skyline and get a second mortgage to buy it.

dankin
503 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 10, 2014 10:56 |  #2318

jocau wrote in post #17145651 (external link)
I don't exactly know what it is. Maybe it's the lack of good X-Trans support in ACR/Lightroom? Or maybe I just don't like the feeling of the X-Trans sensor? I find this really, really sad, because I like everything about Fuji (their body styling, their lens lineup, their innovation, the fact that they listen to their customers...) except for their image quality which most of the time doesn't seem to impress me the way I want it too. I'm gutted since I thought I had finally found my new camera... :(

This is why I just went back to Canon. I shot with Fuji for the last year and ultimately decided the x-trans is not for me. I was just never totally satisfied with the IQ. I loved everything else about it - the lens are great, the size and weight of the system is great, the X-T1 handles well and met my needs for auto focus (much better than my X-E1) but there were IQ issues that I could never totally get around no matter what RAW convertor I used. Now whether or not these issues come into play depends largely on the subject matter you're photographing and how you intend to view that final image. I personally think that is why some people think it's the greatest thing to ever happen to photography and other people like me see issues with it.

EOS R, 6d, 16-35 F4 IS, RF 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 10, 2014 14:31 |  #2319

After browsing through this thread, I've seen some people swap from some nice equipment (5D2, 6D) to one of the Fuji's. I'm debating selling off all my Canon equipment for one of the Fuji's and a 35mm equivalent lens. I think I know what this group of people is going to say, but I'm going to post my reasoning anyway. Agree or disagree, I want your opinion.

I recently graduated school and moved to a new city. In school I had started in the engagement photo business, doing shoots for the couples that wanted decent pics but didn't want to hire full out pros (plus they were my friends). (Basically a guy-with-camera who delivered good, solid, consistent results that my clients were happy with) I was also shooting some sports for the school, which I no longer do. Since I moved I haven't touched the 6D (4 months).

The 6D and Sigma 35 Art has been the holy grail of image quality to me. I haven't found anything it can't do. I just don't use it anymore. When I go out, I'm out by myself at concerts, football games, events, or just walking around being a tourist. The 6D is big, bulky, and heavy. I don't bring it because it's labor intensive to get it out and use it. It's too big for me to want to have it on a strap all day, plus a lot of events won't let me in with it.

I want something smaller, lighter, and more portable, like in a form factor similar to the old film SLRs (think Canon A-1, Olympus OM-1). I'm also spoiled on image quality. Do any of the Fuji bodies meet the IQ of the 6D + Sigma 35 Art? And am I headed in the right direction here? Have the issues with Fuji and Lightroom been ironed out?

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 10, 2014 15:40 |  #2320

I'm honestly really surprised people are still unhappy with files from their Fuji's, mine have surprised me with their quality from day one.

I don't use NR for 95% of my photos and I only do mild sharpening (with masking) in LR. To me the files look spectacular, in good light they're not far off from my 6D files at all.

These are from my Vivitar S1 28/1.9 via Kipon focal reducer, so don't judge these for sharpness :lol:

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2930/14823017682_3961791b56_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ozRQ​Jo  (external link) DSCF5112.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3858/14636752818_927f91bb19_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oipb​Fd  (external link) DSCF5124.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

armis
899 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 11, 2014 06:48 |  #2321

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #17146468 (external link)
Have the issues with Fuji and Lightroom been ironed out?

I think this should help: http://www.fujivsfuji.​com/best-xtrans-raw-converter (external link)

While LR may not appear to be the best converter in absolute terms (though as someone said elsewhere, the IQ gain may or may not make it worth your time changing workflows), I think the more salient point is that the major issues and artifacts don't seem to appear anymore. I know I haven't noticed any. For what it's worth, I shoot RAW and seldom use any NR.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 11, 2014 08:07 |  #2322

armis wrote in post #17147676 (external link)
I think this should help: http://www.fujivsfuji.​com/best-xtrans-raw-converter (external link)

While LR may not appear to be the best converter in absolute terms (though as someone said elsewhere, the IQ gain may or may not make it worth your time changing workflows), I think the more salient point is that the major issues and artifacts don't seem to appear anymore. I know I haven't noticed any. For what it's worth, I shoot RAW and seldom use any NR.

Interesting. I plan on renting an XT-1 to decide if I want to switch, so I'll have to evaluate from there.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 11, 2014 08:08 |  #2323

I don't think I've ever used noise reduction, even when I was had Canon. I didn't like the way it took away details.

with Fuji, I did try it, but it gave the pictures that plastic mannequin look.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 11, 2014 08:20 |  #2324

PLLphotography wrote in post #17147763 (external link)
I don't think I've ever used noise reduction, even when I was had Canon. I didn't like the way it took away details.

with Fuji, I did try it, but it gave the pictures that plastic mannequin look.

I think the key to using noise reduction consists of 2 things:

• Apply noise reduction and stop as soon as details are disappearing.
  • Apply different levels of noise reduction to various parts of the image (e.g. an out-of-focus background doesn't contain a lot of detail to begin with, so you can use a more aggressive noise reduction there).

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 11, 2014 08:45 |  #2325

jocau wrote in post #17147774 (external link)
I think the key to using noise reduction consists of 2 things:

• Apply noise reduction and stop as soon as details are disappearing.
  • Apply different levels of noise reduction to various parts of the image (e.g. an out-of-focus background doesn't contain a lot of detail to begin with, so you can use a more aggressive noise reduction there).

Agreed. Lightroom allows you to mask off the areas with detail so you don't lose it when applying NR. You can't just apply NR to the whole image.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links

2,165,631 views & 10,831 likes for this thread
Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.