Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 09, 2014 11:31 as a reply to  @ post 17143993 |  #286

Okay, well CanonWatch says:

• The EOS 7D Mark II sports a 20.2 MP sensor but it is not the same sensor as featured on the EOS 70D (external link)
  • The AF has 65 points but only 32 are cross-type. Center point is dual cross. f/8 on center point
  • The EOS 7D Mark II has a “pro build quality” (whatever this means in detail)
  • Price in EU will be €1800 (that could mean $1,990 in the US)
The 70D Has a 20.2 sensor... lol...
pro build quality means it iwll be exactly like the current 7D (MKi)

Canon is running out of ideas... sad......

http://www.canonwatch.​com/ (external link)

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 09, 2014 11:52 |  #287

dtufino wrote in post #17144215 (external link)
  • The EOS 7D Mark II sports a 20.2 MP sensor but it is not the same sensor as featured on the EOS 70D (external link)
  • The AF has 65 points but only 32 are cross-type. Center point is dual cross. f/8 on center point

I'm not sure what's wrong with a 20.2 MP sensor. On a crop camera, that's sufficiently dense for me. A new sensor is a new sensor and there are many, including myself, who would just be happy with their current (not currant lol) 7D if it just had a significantly better sensor. So until we see samples, we won't know what that's going to be.
But also mentioned are some interesting new things like f8 AF in the center, many more AF points, dual card slots, electronic MF, and hints at a new AF system that tracks on the sensor after the first shot when shooting high speed servo. All this is cool and new. So I don't see anything sad about it. What will be sad is if after it comes out, we look at the sensor and go "meh".

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 09, 2014 11:59 |  #288

kfreels wrote in post #17144244 (external link)
I'm not sure what's wrong with a 20.2 MP sensor. On a crop camera, that's sufficiently dense for me. A new sensor is a new sensor and there are many, including myself, who would just be happy with their current (not currant lol) 7D if it just had a significantly better sensor. So until we see samples, we won't know what that's going to be.
But also mentioned are some interesting new things like f8 AF in the center, many more AF points, dual card slots, electronic MF, and hints at a new AF system that tracks on the sensor after the first shot when shooting high speed servo. All this is cool and new. So I don't see anything sad about it. What will be sad is if after it comes out, we look at the sensor and go "meh".

I guess what I'm (Me in particular) is for canon to JUMP and kick ass in the Mirrorless world.... an EOS Mirrorless without the EOS M... lol

The truth is, i already own 2 DSLr that produces stellar images (5d3, 1d4) i'd love to use my canon lenses on a mirrorless canon body.... but that's too much to ask.

-David T.

flickr (external link)

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 09, 2014 12:04 |  #289

dtufino wrote in post #17144266 (external link)
but that's too much to ask.

Its not too much to ask. However its not the best place to ask on a 7D2 thread. What are you thinking? That a 7D2 should be mirrorless?

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 09, 2014 12:13 |  #290

dtufino wrote in post #17144266 (external link)
I guess what I'm (Me in particular) is for canon to JUMP and kick ass in the Mirrorless world.... an EOS Mirrorless without the EOS M... lol

The truth is, i already own 2 DSLr that produces stellar images (5d3, 1d4) i'd love to use my canon lenses on a mirrorless canon body.... but that's too much to ask.

It'll be an EOS-M & an EF adapter if it's a mirrorless by canon. I can't imagine they don't have a EOS-M with the 70D's dual pixel tech in the pipe. I think there were some rumors about that recently, but that's a topic for another thread.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 09, 2014 13:06 |  #291
bannedPermanent ban

thats what Canon been saying every since 7D was released, everytime a new camera (rebels, etc...) were released they always said that it features a new state of art sensor, while the truth was it was a minor revision that didn't make any major improvements.

this new 7DII sensor, since its the same MP (at least rumored) i bet it will be 70D sensor with slightly improved dual pixel tech.

Gear List

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 09, 2014 13:25 |  #292

FEChariot wrote in post #17144276 (external link)
Its not too much to ask. However its not the best place to ask on a 7D2 thread. What are you thinking? That a 7D2 should be mirrorless?

BINGO!

-David T.

flickr (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 09, 2014 13:38 |  #293

dtufino wrote in post #17144396 (external link)
BINGO!

Yes, this is the only place for a 7D2. Other than mirror-less, I just can't see a slot in the current line up for a 'super crop' to be placed. A new 20.2 mp sensor, that'll be a modest improvement over the 70D which itself is a modest improvement over the 7D. Not really worth a 5 year wait :cry:

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 09, 2014 14:21 |  #294

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17144365 (external link)
i bet it will be 70D sensor with slightly improved dual pixel tech.

All still speculation of course, but it needs to be far better at high ISOs than the 70D.

I am confused on the card writing speeds of the CF and SD. Will the SD card slow down the CF writing speed as in the 1D4?

If there is no WiFi I really hope they have put in a network port.

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 09, 2014 15:52 |  #295

bigrob wrote in post #17144512 (external link)
All still speculation of course, but it needs to be far better at high ISOs than the 70D.

I am confused on the card writing speeds of the CF and SD. Will the SD card slow down the CF writing speed as in the 1D4?

If there is no WiFi I really hope they have put in a network port.

I suspect the noise and maybe DR to be the improvements. If I can get RAW ISO 6400 shots that look like my 1600s now, I'll be just giddy. (Not improvements in signal processing but real improvements in RAW data). An interesting aspect on this is a recently published patent that is said to accomplish those very things. Now this patent could be what we're getting ready to see. Or it could be "Well, we couldn't quite get it into the 7D BUT it's coming eventually because SEE, we have a patent!". I REALLY hope that's not the case!

Wifi and full metal bodies don't play well. Thats why even the 1DX doesn't have it. Tha
s also I think why eye-fi cards seem to have trouble on the 7D. So I'm pretty sure it won't be in this camera either. I do expect it to either be compatible with the Wireless File Transmitter or maybe a newer lesser expensive version of one. I'm sure that some kind of remote control capability will be present as with the wifi but over cables - especially if they have the ability to sync timing across two cameras. What I really want is radio wireless control of off-camera speedlights. If I can get rid of that damned E-ttl sync cable that always breaks on me, I'll come out ahead financially in a matter of months! lol

ON the CF/SD card writing speeds, we'll just have to see. It may be a design issue that they figured out over the last couple years. In fact, I have a suspicion that this is going to be one fine-performing camera that's had a lot of refinement after the griping from people about the problems on the 1DX and 5D3 when they first came out.

It seems with people you can't win. They want an upgrade every 2-3 years. They want all the bugs worked out though. And they want the latest tech in it which of course hasn't even been developed at the time they start on the camera. They wanted a 5D2 sensor with a 7D set of features and then griped about the sensor not being improved enough. They wanted 14fps but then griped when the 1DX only had 18MP.

jorkata
213 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 09, 2014 18:06 |  #296

kfreels wrote in post #17144700 (external link)
If I can get RAW ISO 6400 shots that look like my 1600s now, I'll be just giddy.

That's two stops of improvement, which will make the 7DII better than the 6D/5DIII :shock:.

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 09, 2014 19:04 |  #297

jorkata wrote in post #17144936 (external link)
That's two stops of improvement, which will make the 7DII better than the 6D/5DIII :shock:.

Nah. I've seen ISO 25,600 shots from the 6D and they look like my 2500s which is about as high as I'm willing to go. There's a significant difference in the noise at these higher ISOs and the DR shrinks as well. But it should be able to get a lot closer ....for the time being. And then the same new tech in the next round of full frame sensors wouldwiden the gap again.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,312 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Sep 10, 2014 14:34 |  #298

Two thoughts came to mind when I read this. (1) maybe there aren't any ground-breaking ideas to come up with. Perhaps the technology is at a plateau and the only changes to expect are permutations and combinations (e.g. mirrorless). (2) coming to a conclusion like this based on rumors alone is somewhat premature.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Geordie ­ Amanda
365 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 10, 2014 14:52 |  #299

I still have an idea for using a 'Shrink-ray' and reduce a human with an etch-a-sketch to replace the sensor. The idea still needs a little work, I grant you, but I think I might have something.......

......it could be insanity.....

Call me Amanda please :)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 10, 2014 15:20 |  #300

jorkata wrote in post #17144936 (external link)

Well, those are older cameras so I wouldn't say it's outside the realm of possibility. However, I would expect the 5dIV would gain the same performance with the use of the same technology and a larger photocell.

sponsored links

70,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.