Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D focus issue & blurred pictures

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 07, 2014 22:06 |  #1276

NickiRasgo wrote in post #17141337 (external link)
Hi. I'm planning to buy this coming December. Just want to ask if the AF issue still present? I want to complement it with my 6D but I'm having hesitation right now if I'll get a 70D.

To be fixed hey would have to admit there was a problem :)

sponsored links
NickiRasgo
80 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 07, 2014 22:19 |  #1277

Scoobert wrote in post #17141358 (external link)
To be fixed hey would have to admit there was a problem :)

Oh. So Canon already admitted that there's a problem with the unit? So it's safe to say, I just have to wait for the "fix" so most likely it would be a firmware update. However, it looks like I won't buy a brand new one, more like a used though I'm thinking because the price of brand new versus used here in our country is not that much like around $100? Though haven't seen any used 70D so far selling here in FB Groups.

This would be like my last Canon DSLR because I'm planning to buy Sony A7S next year for video purposes and travel as well.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 07, 2014 22:28 |  #1278

NickiRasgo wrote in post #17141377 (external link)
Oh. So Canon already admitted that there's a problem with the unit? So it's safe to say, I just have to wait for the "fix" so most likely it would be a firmware update. However, it looks like I won't buy a brand new one, more like a used though I'm thinking because the price of brand new versus used here in our country is not that much like around $100? Though haven't seen any used 70D so far selling here in FB Groups.

This would be like my last Canon DSLR because I'm planning to buy Sony A7S next year for video purposes and travel as well.

I had one of the bad ones that canon repaired after 3 trips to service.

If you buy from a place that has a good return policy you will be fine even if you get a bad one.

NickiRasgo
80 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 07, 2014 22:40 |  #1279

Scoobert wrote in post #17141391 (external link)
I had one of the bad ones that canon repaired after 3 trips to service.

If you buy from a place that has a good return policy you will be fine even if you get a bad one.

Oh. Okay that's noted. So that means there are 70D doesn't have issue? Right? How about yours now? Is it fine now? Thanks! :)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 08, 2014 06:22 |  #1280

NickiRasgo wrote in post #17141407 (external link)
Oh. Okay that's noted. So that means there are 70D doesn't have issue? Right? How about yours now? Is it fine now? Thanks! :)

Oh yes the majority of 70D don't have this focus issue. But if you get one that does you need to have bought it from a place that accepts exchanges. Mine is fine now but it took many weeks and lots of money in shipping it get it this way. And there are others who even after 3 trips to canon repair still dont have a fixed camera.

Most all of them have the bounce flash issue though :)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1347702

centauro1974
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 09, 2014 17:52 |  #1281

How many of you with 70d focus issues, have canon been able to fix your 70D's.
And how did you manage to convince canon to really resolve the problem.

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 09, 2014 18:38 |  #1282

mine seems fine....I did some shots @ 2.8 from a far and it seemed good for me.

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

centauro1974
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 09, 2014 22:14 |  #1283

madasax wrote in post #17144983 (external link)
mine seems fine....I did some shots @ 2.8 from a far and it seemed good for me.

How many times did you sent yours.

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 09, 2014 23:10 |  #1284

centauro1974 wrote in post #17144915 (external link)
How many of you with 70d focus issues, have canon been able to fix your 70D's.
And how did you manage to convince canon to really resolve the problem.

Just sent mine yesterday to Canon. Explained them everything and told them that calibration can not fix the issue. I showed this thread to the Canon techs and it seems like they will still attempt to do the calibration. So, I demonstrated what my 70d has, using a white paper with a line drawn at the center. Although they didn't react verbally, I can tell through their eyes and gestures that they are a facing a big camera issue. I let them do the test I made and they were puzzled why the last three focusing points (N16, N17, and N18) at the right side can not lock focus when the line is placed at their centers but would lock at the space to their left spaces up to the centers of the af points adjacent to their left. I also showed them the mid point. Can not lock on the right and bottom spaces from it but locks on the mid point up to the spaces above and left from the mid point and usually fails from 20ft beyond. The exact term they uttered in our language was "duling". A filipino word which means "CROSS EYED". I dont know if I should build hopes or not but sending the body in made me hope for a successful repair (that's what it's intended for). Before I left the repair center, I told them to check and test everything to avoid redundant checking in to their center because I do not have the leisure of traveling 90 miles from my town. They also asked me if its fine sending the camera at their head office (MANILA which is about 600 miles from my place) if they found a critical issue. I gave them the green light saying "Do it, just make sure that it comes back fixed." They were kind enough in doing the transaction but I can still feel their untold analysis.They marked the service contract as "FOCUSING PROBLEM" and attached a drawing of the 19 af points with some notes I was not able to read. Ill give an update on this when I get my camera back. 14 days was their estimated time for repair. (Fingers crossed):)

EDIT: I let them read of what Canon did to Scoobert's 70d. Their reaction was "Wow! It's like replacing the camera with a brand new one!". I smiled and uttered with a humor "Please do the same." And they laughed. hehehe

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 10, 2014 17:21 |  #1285

centauro1974 wrote in post #17145332 (external link)
How many times did you sent yours.

I never sent mine anywhere....bought it used with 4k on shutter and it seems like it works fine. If it has missed focus yet it it because of my error not the 70D's

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

NebrGuy
303 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 11, 2014 19:47 |  #1286

Molybdo42 wrote in post #17124083 (external link)
This is definitely not what I expected, so I wouldn't call this "normal". But the camera seems to work, so maybe all 70D are like that !
I'll confirm that my sample works this week-end (if I have enough time).

So now that you've had it for awhile, what is your opinion? Are you keeping this one or sending it back in?

Flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)
- Graflex Speed Graphic w/ Zeiss 15cm, Kodak 100mm & Schneider 210mm
- Argus C3 w/ Argus 35mm, Argus 50mm, and Argus 100mm
- Yashica TL Electro X w/ Accura Diametrica 28mm, Yashinon 50mm, and Pentax Asahi 135mm
- Canon EOS Rebel G II w/EOS mounting lenses used in digital work

Molybdo42
117 posts
Joined May 2014

Sep 13, 2014 06:17 as a reply to  @ NebrGuy's post |  #1287

@ NebrGuy :
I still have to test it during night photography, but up until now it has worked perfectly.

Only issue I have is with the 18-35 from Sigma, who still has focus issues. I have the optimization dock and spent a lot of time trying to calibrate the lens, but I still can't manage to get reliable focus. Which is a shame, because optically this lens is my sharpest one. I'll contact Sigma and see what they can do.

Nevertheless, with my other fast lenses (canon 40mm 2.8, sigma 35mm 1.4 old version), this new camera is much better than the older one. Yet I still have to test it in night photography.

GrantCC
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 15, 2014 18:45 |  #1288

Souwalker wrote in post #16939296 (external link)
I wonder if the 70D sold in Australia has these issues or not.

I bought my 70D from Becextech, so any warranty is supposed to go through them. Camera came from Hong Kong. Bought it with 18-135 and 70-200 2.8 usm 2. Having the same focussing problems as many on the net. Been through micro adjust, bought FoCal Pro (that improved things somewhat, but I haven't been able to get far enough away from my PC to use it properly). That said, I really get the impression that the problem is random.

Just to be sure I've dropped it in at Canon in Melbourne to assess and calibrate before I send it back, if necessary, to Becextech.

I'll let you know how it goes in 10-15 days.

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 18, 2014 21:03 |  #1289

Update: Canon techs called me yesterday and had me discussed the issue of my 70D over the phone. I appreciated their efforts in fixing mine and it 's a good thing. I also retold them about Scoob's and they replied that they will do the same if it's necessary to replace the parts. Still keeping my fingers crossed at this time and I really missed my camera. :-)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,175 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 18, 2014 21:46 |  #1290

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17164274 (external link)
Update: Canon techs called me yesterday and had me discussed the issue of my 70D over the phone. I appreciated their efforts in fixing mine and it 's a good thing. I also retold them about Scoob's and they replied that they will do the same if it's necessary to replace the parts. Still keeping my fingers crossed at this time and I really missed my camera. :-)

Good luck jiggs
Fingers crossed for you man.

sponsored links

345,007 views & 8 likes for this thread
70D focus issue & blurred pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.