Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Sep 2014 (Saturday) 19:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Transition from Canon 6d to Sony A7r?

shikhan
57 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 06, 2014 19:05 |  #1

Hi guys,

I've only recently started to look into the Sony A7r and I'm struggling to figure out what I want to do. Almost all of my photography is hiking/backpacking and travel, and I'm trying to do some astro as well.

I'm thinking about going to New Zealand for 5-6 weeks and backpacking quite a bit. Right now, when I go backpacking, I take my 6D + 24-105L, and occasionally have my 100L as well. I was initially thinking about leaving my 100L behind and picking up a lens for asto (maybe the Rokinon 24mm f/1.4).

Backpacking, space and weight are really restricted. As I was looking over my hiking gear to figure out how to save some more space and weight, I started to look into mirror less cameras. I see some stunning a7r photos, so I wanted to see if others have made this conversion / get some outside opinion.

It seems that just looking at the body, I'd be saving a decent amount of space, plus over 10 ounces. What I'm not sure about is what lens(es) I should pick up if I move to the A7r. I know I can reuse my current lenses, but if I can get more compact lenses, that will seal the deal.

However, I'd need to find a primary lens that I can keep on during the hike. Swapping lenses puts a huge dent in my pace (and my wife's patience). Right now, I keep the 6D+25-105 on during hikes, always easily accessible.

So, finally, getting to my question. Given a budget of say around 5k (If I sell my current gear + add in a bit more), is there there a kit that you think will serve me as well (or better) for backpacking (with a little bit of Astro)?

sponsored links
Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 07, 2014 10:48 |  #2

I have an A7R and love it but be prepared to think manual focus because the af is not so good, even with native lenses. it isn't a huge issue because the focus peaking works great. the image quality is outstanding.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

shikhan
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 08, 2014 23:52 |  #3

Higgs Boson wrote in post #17140287 (external link)
I have an A7R and love it but be prepared to think manual focus because the af is not so good, even with native lenses. it isn't a huge issue because the focus peaking works great. the image quality is outstanding.

Thanks Higgs - I understand that I'll be dealing without AF (or rather, a really weak AF). How have you found it to be in the higher ISOs?

From everything I've seen, it seems that most people are suggesting to either stick with the canon/nikon zooms, or use one of the various MF primes. Sticking with a canon lens seems to take a large portion of the weight benefit away; however, the fact it can use pretty much any lens is actually making researching a decent starting kit near impossible.

Any suggestions on a good starting kit?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,066 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 09, 2014 01:40 |  #4

I shoot both 6D and A7r, and high iso, the A7r cant really touch the 6D, however, you can get some serious weight savings. if you want a really small and versatile kit, I'de look into 3 high quality vintage primes.

Look into the Canon FD new lenses. You can find great deals on ebay, like dirt cheap.... and the lenses are pretty good, like first gen EF lenses. Most are multicoated and high contrast. My personal 3 lens goal is Olympus ziuko 21mm F3.5, Canon 50mm F1.4 FDn, and Canon 135mm F2.8 FDn. The entire kit will weigh less than the 6D and 24-105, offer more range, and likely better image quality.

look into the canon museum:
http://www.canon.com …/lens/nfd/fishe​ye-35.html (external link)

photokina is right around the corner, and maybe you should just wait and see. Good things may come out of it.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 10, 2014 21:30 |  #5

If your desire is a camera for backpacking look at APS-C of high end compact. They have wide views and 35mm camera will only offer you shallower DOF and better very high ISO and there are ultra wide lenses for APS-C.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 10, 2014 23:44 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #6

Check Cosina Vioghtlander RF lenses. You could ask on RFF, plenty of users for this combo.
CV makes very small, modern and not so expensive lenses. With IQ which most likely will surpass old SLR MF lenses.
You will be surprised how small their 15mm lens is.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 11, 2014 06:41 |  #7

Why not consider the a7s? You'll get even better high ISO performance than the 6D and have a lightweight body. Only negative that I can see, is that it only has 12 MP.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

shikhan
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 12, 2014 15:23 |  #8

Charlie wrote in post #17143585 (external link)
I shoot both 6D and A7r, and high iso, the A7r cant really touch the 6D, however, you can get some serious weight savings. if you want a really small and versatile kit, I'de look into 3 high quality vintage primes.

Look into the Canon FD new lenses. You can find great deals on ebay, like dirt cheap.... and the lenses are pretty good, like first gen EF lenses. Most are multicoated and high contrast. My personal 3 lens goal is Olympus ziuko 21mm F3.5, Canon 50mm F1.4 FDn, and Canon 135mm F2.8 FDn. The entire kit will weigh less than the 6D and 24-105, offer more range, and likely better image quality.

look into the canon museum:
http://www.canon.com …/lens/nfd/fishe​ye-35.html (external link)

photokina is right around the corner, and maybe you should just wait and see. Good things may come out of it.

Thanks Charlie - If I do this, this seems the way to go; The lenses I was looking at really started making it too expensive (Well, the A7r is already expensive...)

When you shoot the A7r, what do you find you like/dislike compared to the 6d (Ignoring the AF)? Are you able to shoot family shots, evening shots pretty well (I looked through some of your posts and it definitely seems like you get some amazing pictures - just looking for your thoughts on the two comparatively).

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17147064 (external link)
If your desire is a camera for backpacking look at APS-C of high end compact. They have wide views and 35mm camera will only offer you shallower DOF and better very high ISO and there are ultra wide lenses for APS-C.

I moved from a T2i to the 6D (I still have the T2i) but there was a huge image quality change between the two for me. I'd rather keep the 6d and pick up something like the samyang 14 or 24 for wide angle.

kf095 wrote in post #17147270 (external link)
Check Cosina Vioghtlander RF lenses. You could ask on RFF, plenty of users for this combo.
CV makes very small, modern and not so expensive lenses. With IQ which most likely will surpass old SLR MF lenses.
You will be surprised how small their 15mm lens is.

I haven't heard of Cosina Vioghtlander before. I'll look into them.

jocau wrote in post #17147665 (external link)
Why not consider the a7s? You'll get even better high ISO performance than the 6D and have a lightweight body. Only negative that I can see, is that it only has 12 MP.

Interesting point, but it seems like the A7s is as expensive, if not more, than the A7r. In which case, I think I'd rather have a higher res sensor to recrop.

Of course, I thought I read that the A7r had really good dynamic range, but it seems like the reviews on the A7s show it to be much better.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 12, 2014 15:49 |  #9

shikhan wrote in post #17150549 (external link)
I haven't heard of Cosina Vioghtlander before. I'll look into them.

They're a big manufacture of cameras and lenses, they've made bodies for Nikon and Canon. They make the Current Zeiss lenses.

I have a Cosina 50mm 1.7 that I got for $10 and it kicks my Canon 50mm 1.4's butt.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 12, 2014 15:50 |  #10

i switched from a 5D Mark III to A7R and never look back. i love the size, DR, cropping power, the ability to shoot on APS-C mode for extra reach and the manual focus.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Charlie
16,066 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2014 18:35 |  #11

shikhan wrote in post #17150549 (external link)
Thanks Charlie - If I do this, this seems the way to go; The lenses I was looking at really started making it too expensive (Well, the A7r is already expensive...)

When you shoot the A7r, what do you find you like/dislike compared to the 6d (Ignoring the AF)? Are you able to shoot family shots, evening shots pretty well (I looked through some of your posts and it definitely seems like you get some amazing pictures - just looking for your thoughts on the two comparatively).

the A7r is a whole lot lighter with the FDn 50mm F1.4 compared to the Canon 6D and 50L (or even 50 F1.8).

I like the weight, it's minimal, and there are options of going smaller. Not so true with the canon.

I like the tilt screen, I can go low odd angles without issue.

I like that there are 3 dedicated controls, one for aperture/shutter/iso. I dont have to press the iso button to adjust.

AF vs Focus peaking.... well AF is better in a way, and peaking also has advantages. AF, you can encounter microfocus issues, but is very fast. Peaking, you can encounter OOF shots if not careful, and a little slower. I have no issues capture family outings with manual focus. The more you use it, the better you're going to be. It becomes second nature at some point, and you start getting very high keeper rates if you stick with it. I could never do this with canon, not even with the EG-S focus screen.

As for family shots, night time shots, I use it all the time for those scenarios.

Heck, I'll even use it for swim lessons with good results. I'm sticking with canon lenses for now because I want consistency. FDn lenses have been the sweet spot for me, I'm getting good enough image quality, along with great SOOC images.

Another reason why I'm sticking with canon FDn lenses is because I want all my lenses to work the same. With mild action, I can do some tracking via manual focus and multishutter, with good results.

here is what I shoot day to day:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
Swim class Vivitar 135mm (external link) by charlie617 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5566/15197013366_0da83f4737_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/p9UE​BQ  (external link) day to day (external link) by charlie617 (external link), on Flickr

most people will shy away from action with a MF camera, but not me. I'll try it, and figure a way to make it work. I wont get as many in focus for action shots, but I assure you, I WILL land some, and I dont need a ton of keepers, just few nice photos.

heck, here are some action shots with F0.95 lens shot wide open:
IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2937/14788384073_78aa639d77_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/owNk​nc  (external link) Creepy clowns 1 (external link) by charlie617 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3907/14581885268_b142d9ef57_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/odxY​sY  (external link) Creepy clowns 2 (external link) by charlie617 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2938/14768517395_5c0db0a89d_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ov3v​Gg  (external link) Creepy clowns 3 (external link) by charlie617 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2930/14768197672_379ca4c9b5_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ov1S​DN  (external link) Creepy clowns 4 (external link) by charlie617 (external link), on Flickr

AF is nice and even preferred, but if you want huge weight savings, access to really nice and inexpensive lenses, then you have to give up on it.

My kids have upcoming school events, and I figure if I can MF these events with little issue, then why keep the expensive AF lenses around?

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2014 22:19 |  #12

shikhan wrote:
=shikhan;17150549
I moved from a T2i to the 6D (I still have the T2i) but there was a huge image quality change between the two for me. I'd rather keep the 6d and pick up something like the samyang 14 or 24 for wide angle.

A very old camera to a new one. You should consider new models like the SL1 and 70D. These can take smaller and lighter lenses. I assume you don't hike in the dark so extreme high ISO of the 6D won't be of benefit.

shikhan
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 18, 2014 17:24 |  #13

Well, after much hemming and hawing, I'm going to try out the A7r with some FD(n) lenses.

I think I'm going to try to puck up the FDn 35mm f2 and either ther FD 50mm f1.4 SCC or FDn 50mm f1.4. If things go well, I'll start building up my collection.

One question that I haven't been able to clear up in my research is what is the difference between the cheap -> mid range -> high end adapters. With these lenses, I won't need any connection/chip (unless somehow one of them can at least store which lens is connected, that would be nice). Any thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Charlie
16,066 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 18, 2014 17:57 |  #14

there are dumb adapters and there are smart adapters. I have a bunch of dumb adapters but only 1 smart adapter. For the smart adapter, I use commlite, but would have been better off with viltrox as it seems to report exif better.

for dumb adapters with no connections, I just use cheapie stuff. Works well and solid. I'm using Fotasy FD-nex adapters. For now, I'll probably just finish up my FDn kit, as I'm happy with it. Light, fast glass, reasonably good optics. They're all coated with SSC btw.

so in summary, I use a bunch of cheapo adapters. Works fine and even well made. I would recommend 1 adapter per FD lens. The old changing method is really cumbersome, much easier to use adapters for each lens, and then use sony's method of detaching lenses.

sponsored links

2,217 views & 0 likes for this thread
Transition from Canon 6d to Sony A7r?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.